Aiming for a Triathlon

Options
Hi!- i'm 22 and relatively unfit.

I've been really sick for a few years now and practically living in the hospital but thanks to hundreds of blood donors every month i've been given the ultimate gift. I'm really well again now and i've got my life back and I want to use it!

For the first few months of my treatment i've felt like it is too good to be true but now it is hitting home that I really can do what any other 22 yearold can and I feel like I want to set myself a big goal! - so why not a triathlon (by the end of the year)?

I used to play a lot of waterpolo when I was younger - so getting back into the swimming shouldn't be too hard? I hope....I think i'll find the running the hardest- probably a lot of "ralking"

Does anyone have any advice for me? or think it is a good/bad idea? or think I could have a better goal?

Or have any tips on how I should go about completing it?

Replies

• leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your condition is but I'm glad you are feeling better now. I have a crohnic illness and have been doing triathlons for the last 2 years. They are excellent!!!

My advice would be just to sign up to one. Do the c25k programme to get you walking and running. Go adventuring on your bicycle. Cycle up some hills. Train but don't overtrain and have an excellent triathlon. Set yourself a target time for the following year. :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    There is some really good advice in this thread. I posted my unfit to triathlon story in there.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161231-how-long-does-it-take-to-train-for-a-triathlon

And there is a good group here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/105-triathletes-duathletes

I really liked the book My First Triathlon by Joe Friel.
    I also really can't say enough - if you can find a triathlon club in your area, check it out. Finding mine changed my life.

Go for it and have fun.
  • lukeosb
    lukeosb Posts: 10
    Options
    If your doctor ok's it, then thats a great goal! Just start off slow, when it comes to the cycling and running the best advice i can give is mileage, mileage, mileage. Just signing up for one can be all you need to get going, there is no better motivator than fear! :P
  • splixi
    splixi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Those links are really good thanks! - i'm too scared to go to my local club yet because i'm too unfit :p

It seems most people on those threads have swimming as their weakest link whereas for me it is probably my strongest of the 3 having played a lot of waterpolo before....
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Those links are really good thanks! - i'm too scared to go to my local club yet because i'm too unfit :p

It seems most people on those threads have swimming as their weakest link whereas for me it is probably my strongest of the 3 having played a lot of waterpolo before....

Don't be scared. There are always people of all levels there. I was terrified of being unfit but they were the ones who encouraged me and showed me it was possible.

You are definitely lucky that you have a swim background. It will help immensely. Someone above suggest C25k for running, it's a great plan.