What is the best food scale?

Options
I am in the market for a new food scale and I was wondering what your opinions were to which one is the best. I'm not wanting not spend a arm and a leg for one so preferably one under $20 if a good one exist for that price. Thoughts anyone???

Replies

• PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I use a digital scale I bought at Walmart for $19, rounded up. It just takes batteries and it works great, I love it!
  • doingit4mykids6812
    doingit4mykids6812 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    As long as it measures in ounces and grams, and has a Tare feature (where you can set a bowl on it then reset the scale to zero so that you can weigh your food in the bowl), you should be good. There are some darn fancy ones and some dead simple ones and they're not really better or worse as far as I've read. A lot of it comes down to features that you want.

That said, I have this one from Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B001N07KUE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1389277776&sr=8-5&keywords=eatsmart+digital+scale

There are 2 things that I wish this scale had differently, but they're not *that* important: 1) I wish it had a raised platform for the bowl or plate you're weighing to sit on. A standard dinner plate kind of obscures the readout. 2) the words telling you which button does what, rubbed off REALLY fast. If I hadn't paid attention in the first week of having it and memorized the button layout I'd have been lost. (I did put a drop of nail polish on the ON/OFF button to help my kids & husband figure it out, that worked well).

I initially got a "dud" when I ordered this scale - it ate through 2 sets of batteries in the first week. So I contacted the company, on a Sunday morning, and within a few hours had a reply from the company VP and within 3 days had a new scale in my mailbox. Didn't have to mail back the defective one even. Based on that customer service experience alone, I'd buy another of the same in a minute.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Best? I dunno. I bought this Ozeri from Amazon over a year ago, use it regularly, and have no complaints...

http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-Multifunction-Kitchen-Elegant/dp/B004164SRA/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1389278324&sr=1-3&keywords=ozeri
  • doingit4mykids6812
    doingit4mykids6812 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the response!
  • TXSweety09
    Options
    I recently bought a digital scale at a smoke shop for $16. It weighs in ounces and grams and also has the tare feature so I can put my small bowl on it and weight out my food without getting the scale yucky LOL Good Luck!!!!!!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    @smartchef2016 This post is from January 2014, I'm guessing they already have a food scale. Same with the other posts you bumped.