Thyroid cancer then weight gain..(lots)

Options
2»

Replies

• brown41stacy
    brown41stacy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i would love to be friends and help encourage you through this. i had papilary thyroid cancer 12 yrs ago myself
  • Glad to see another survivor. My grandmother passed away from cancer back in 2003. It wasn't until her autopsy they found it originated in her thyroid. My mother had her thyroid completely removed 2 years ago due to thyroid cancer and is now on a thyroid medication. They just had to up her dosage because the old dosage wasn't enough. My mom and grandmother have what's called Hoshimoto's (sp?) thyroid disease. Looks like it got passed on to me now.

My mother had a huge weight gain before and after her thyroid was removed. She started working on the weight loss about a year ago and has now lost I think she said 50 lbs. It takes her a lot of hard work and staying away from carbs because she can't burn them like somebody with their thyroid can. She eats a lot of meat, fruits and vegetables. She found a bread that has only like 3 carbs per slice or something like that. But she only takes in roughly 15 carbs a day now. When she started doing that is when her weight started to come off.

I wish you luck on your journey.
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    hello,
    I had my thyroid removed 3 weeks ago... my thyroxine is way too low and my surgeon told me to expect to pack on the weight till I see him this Friday to get my meds upped.
    So I am happy to report that through being a stubborn cow, I have lost 1.2kg in 2 weeks, and have only been walking when I feel up to it.
    Control what goes in your mouth, if your weight is out of control, then you need to see your endocronolgist.
    Believe me I have the energy of sack of potatoes right now, but I have been super careful and only eating when I am genuinely hungry and stopping when I am full.... which takes a fair bit of attention to how you are feeling.
    Good luck... I'm happy to be on your support crew if you want to add me :smile:
  • danielismysoulmate
    Options
    I need to find some self discipline...

:embarassed:
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Why are you going to be hypothyroid for the rest of your life?

My son had thyroid cancer 1.5 years ago. After his compkete removal, he got a prescription for thyroid and now he's fine.

He was intentionally hyperthyroid for a bit - but if you are being told that you must be hypothyroid long-term... That strikes me as odd and maybe worth another opinion.
  • Texastreat
    Options
    I had my thyroid removed due to pap. cancer and I too had Hashimoto's disease. I was initially put on Synthroid and gained weight just breathing air! It was awful. So I started doing my own research and looked at sites online like www.thyroid.about.com. I had to really search out for a doctor who was not in bed with Big Pharma too. I finally located a local doctor who works with me by prescribing Armour and it's a fabulous medication - at least for me! I feel better, my skin no longer feels like alligater skin and my hair has stopped falling out. I'm able to lose weight and my energy level is up. You will hear all kinds of horror stories about Armour as told by Big Pharma and their drone doctors. The reason? Because Armour is made from pork and is considered a naturally made product - it can NOT be patented. Patented drugs make a lot of money for Big Pharma and kickbacks to the doctors that prescribe the patented drugs. Faulty thyroids and thyroid cancer is not a new thing...before Big Pharma was created the generally accepted practice was to prescribe Armour and it worked. Is is perfect for everyone? No but at least I think I deserve the option to be presented to me of trying it. I cannot find even one Endocronologist in the city of Austin, Texas that will prescribe Armour for me. I have to use an independent family doctor (that takes no insurance!) and even then I have to sign all types of documents releasing him from liability as Big Pharma is trying so hard to get Armour outlawed. It's so bad with Big Pharma that a few years ago there was a "shortage" of Armour - which has yet to be fully explained and I had to get my meds from Canada. So it will be an effort for you to find a good doctor that is knowledgeable and not in the back pocket of Big Pharma. I don't want to lie and say it's an easy journey but to feel better mentally and physically is worth the effort for me. I wish you the ultimate success in finding the right method that works for you and your body! Cheers, Tee in Texas
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mbelsaas
    mbelsaas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If I may.... I am a two time Thyroid cancer survivor. According to my Endo, they keep us hypo to keep the cancer from coming back.

I also want this forum to know, we are not alone... thyroid cancer is the fastest growing cancer in the US. I am a 16 year survivor and have had all of the ups and downs. When I was 22, I gained 30 lbs in 6 weeks. Of course, I have never lost 30 lbs in 6 weeks...boo!

I am struggling with getting older, I am 36 now and not having anyone to talk to who has been w/o the thyroid (for as long as I have) and being hypo (and having been on a the depo shot for 13 years and coming off of that) and gaining weight. It seems I try and the weight maintains versus comes off. I am a half marathoner and it seems with every race, I have gained, not lost during training. I am standing "strong" at 157. I guess I am happy I haven't gained any more, but I would like to fit into the clothes I have and feel better about myself. I know it takes us twice the effort to lose, but even though I tell myself it isn't my fault, I get so frustrated...

I have recently purchased a heart rate monitor, so I am hopeful this will help. I am also getting the metabolic testing done at the gym. I am hoping the two combined will show some progress.

If anyone has any tips from their doctors, I would greatly appreciate them!
  • JUDDDing
    Options
    According to my Endo, they keep us hypo to keep the cancer from coming back.

Are you confusing hypo and hyper?

My understanding is that in thyroid cancer survivors, they keep your T4 at elevated (hyper) levels to suppress TSH (at least for awhile).

If you don't suppress TSH, you can get re-growth of thyroid tissues and get cancer again.

Being taken intentionally low on T4 (hypo) would increase TSH right?

http://www.endocrine.niddk.nih.gov/pubs/hypothyroidism/
  • JUDDDing
    Options
    Although, there was a page (about.com - so, you know, consider the source...) that made the case that you ARE hypothyroid forever because _your body_ does not create T4 at all (since you have no thyroid).

I don't think that description is too useful if you are replacing the T4 through any other mechanism.

IMO, the terms hyperthyroid and hypothyroid should be applied to your current "normal" after you include the effects of any medications.
  • phxdeanna
    Options
    Yea!! Super glad to have found other cancer-a@@-kicking survivors on MFP! I'm Deanna - papillary diagnosed in August 2013, TT in August, RAI in October/November 2013. December was an almost clear body scan - WOOHOO.
    So, 2014 - BRING IT ON as long as it's HEALTHY!
    My Endo keeps me hyper (0.1-0.3 TSH) to suppress any remaining cancer.
    I switched from Synthroid to Armour and am UNBELIEVABLY happier and energetic.
    BEST wishes and prayers for you folks on this thyroid journey - it's not for the pansies!!!
    Friend me - let's lose some weight together, stay healthy and improve our moods....:flowerforyou: