How can 60 minutes on a treadmill burn 853 calories?

Options
So I plug in treadmill and I get stair-treadmill ergometer, general... 60 minutes gives 853 calories. That is a huge amount...could this be right?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if you're very big and going at a moderately intense rate then yeah it's possible

or if you're not so big and running very fast up a steep incline then yeah it's possible
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Seems really high. But yeah, waht meshasha said. Machines are notorious for overestimating though.
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Sounds high. Use a HRM and then you'll know your calories burn a little better.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So I plug in treadmill and I get stair-treadmill ergometer, general... 60 minutes gives 853 calories. That is a huge amount...could this be right?

Only possible if you are already quite fit.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I think it depends how overweight you are. Like someone else suggested....I would use a HRM.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    unless you were running the whole time I would say way high
  • lmmo1977
    Options
    I can measure that with a HRM from Polar. Last Thusday I spent 651 calories in 44 minutes. If it was a full hour it would have been almost 890 calories. No big deal.
  • devodev44
    devodev44 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right for me.

Try this page and you will get a more accurate total: http://www.easycalculation.com/health/heart-rate-calorie-burn.php
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I might burn that many calories running a half marathon...but only if I'm going all out at a personal best pace. I'm kinda small, though, so I don't generate the burn that larger people do. It depends on how big you are and how much effort you're putting out. Were you running?
  • dnnymitc
    Options
    Seems really high. But yeah, waht meshasha said. Machines are notorious for overestimating though.

But this isn't from the machine, it is from myfitnesspal. So what I think I am hearing is that I should use the machine calculation and not what the program pulls up.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    MFP, for me, overestimates by a lot. Machines by a little. HRM a little less.

Did you feel like you were working really hard the entire hour?
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options

But this isn't from the machine, it is from myfitnesspal. So what I think I am hearing is that I should use the machine calculation and not what the program pulls up.

MFP estimates are often over optimistic, too. I usually take about 15% off MFP's burn estimate.
  • dnnymitc
    Options
    MFP, for me, overestimates by a lot. Machines by a little. HRM a little less.

Did you feel like you were working really hard the entire hour?

Nothing like 850 calories. I'll double check the machines output. Thanks folks.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    It completely depends on how hard you were working. You didn't really give many details about the workout so it's hard to even say if it's a high count or not.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If the MFP description of speed was exactly what you did the whole time, and you did it level, and ran between 5-6.3 mph - MFP is going to be more accurate than your normal HRM.

And very easily possible.

Treadmill may or may not use the same formula - decent ones do, but they must ask your weight.

In fact, that's how you test a HRM to see how decent it is estimating.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774337-how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is

Study showed 3.4 for walking and 4.8 calories for running off in 20 min from formula, HRM's much more than that.

Totally weight and pace. Takes so much energy to move so much mass for anyone, no matter how hard it felt to you, or where your HR is.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    If you ran for an hour on the road then you would burn more.

853 is achievable but depends on your pace/speed. Try running at roughly the same pace using a run tracking app such as Runkeeper which will tell you calories burnt. Running off a treadmill will be more effective as the treadmill does some of the work for you, so if you arent burning 853 from normal running, your treadmill is telling you porkies.
  • xXbigman63Xx
    Options
    Good morning. A little more information would really be helpful. How much do you weigh? How fast are you walking? Are you walking at an incline? These all change the amount of calories that you will burn. The treadmill and all other machines give you a calorie readout but you can take that number and as a general rule it can anywhere from 10% more to 10% less. Hope this helps.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Seems normal. I break 900 an hour at my usual cruising pace (12kph or so). I'm not overweight and am quite fit. HRM gives me similar numbers.
  • HarpingOn
    HarpingOn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Wish I got 900 an hour still :(
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

That sounds more like a stairmaster than a treadmill. Just on the treadmill, going at a moderate pace, I'd say no.

If you have the incline cranked up and are basically running, then perhaps you can burn that much.

I found early on that many of the calorie burn counts on MFP gave me up to twice as many calories than my HRM did. Cycling was the worst offender.