Fitness clothes

Options
Hello.

I am going shopping tomorrow for much needed clothes for the gym but I have avoided sports shops since I was 16 soooo no idea what to buy!

I am 5'6 and 108, I fit into size 8 to 10 UK clothes. What kind of stuff should I be looking out for? I currently wear a pair of Nike shorts and cotton vests from Primark to the gym.... both of which hang off me now and I look ridiculous lol xx

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    My normal gym outfit is a dryfit t-shirt or tank and a pair of yoga capris. I don't like working out in shorts because I don't want to stick to anything when I am on machines and pants are just too long.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    My workout wardrobe basically just consists of a couple of underarmor shorts, camis, and sports bras. Champion c9 brand sports bras are very comfy. I also recently got some underwear from walmart that are the same material as spandex..or very close and boyshort cut. They work great and are much cheaper to buy than spandex from sport stores.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I don't want to sound like a commercial, but most of my exercise clothes are honestly from www.turbowear.com because they are really comfortable and don't make me look frumpy. They can be pricey, though...

I do have a range of lengths of bottoms depending on the workout that I do. If I know that i am going to be working out hard to some cardio, I normally wear just a comfortable sports bra and shorts...if I am lifting weights or doing yoga, then I will wear the capris. The pants are a no-go for me. Just not comfortable for me to be sweating in pants while working out, even if it is exercise pants.

I also like to have small form fitting t-shirts that are not tight, but definitely not loose...just in case I am around people and don't feel like showing them my middle, lol. Turbo Wear has lots of cute shirts for that purpose, and they are light enough to not restrict movement.
  • Thanks for sharing that turbowear link. I've been looking for something similar!
  • emott84
    emott84 Posts: 108
    Options
    I tend to wear basic lightweight cotton pants or capris when at the gym, I haven't really invested too heavily in workout wear just because I like to be able to have something versatile for when I change up my routine a bit. I wear a basic teeshirt, usually nothing too baggy if I'm doing stretching or yoga.

I'm guessing that you live in the UK? I found Sports Direct awesome for getting good workout gear for cheaper. They always have good stuff on sale!