huffpost useless workouts..

Options
at my age and state in exercise life I have to believe anything is better than nothing. I'd like your thoughts?

http://www.workoutplan.com/8-most-useless-workouts-ever/?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=8-useless-workouts&utm_content=articles&utm_campaign=english-speaking

Replies

• lukeosb
    lukeosb Posts: 10
    Options
    What these posts want to do is draw in readers by making 'shocking', sweeping condemnations of common exercises. 'Useless' has an air of finality about it that draws readers. In reality, getting up out of a chair isn't a 'useless' exercise. Most of the reasoning here seems to be that an exercise is useless if there is some risk of damage when it is done incorrectly. Want to squat? well that exercise is USELESS because there is a chance you could hurt your knee...i guess cycling is a useless exercise because i could get hit by a car.

What you should take out of these articles is to focus on compound movements and carry them out with good form, enjoy your health and fitness
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Options
    5 of them i agree with.

They say bench dips are useless, but they don't explain why!

They're right that the leg press has "little to no stabilization required".. which is why it's an excellent exercise for leg hypertrophy (bulking) - no energy is wasted on other muscles.

All they say against deep squatting is it puts "an incredible amount of stress in your knee". Yeah, so? Stress is what makes joints stronger. If it doesn't cause joint pain, there's no harm in squatting deep.