Non scale victory! Overcoming emotional eating

Options
Early this morning my son's cat, Uno, died in my arms from chronic renal failure. Normally a traumatic event like this would send me in a spiral of food cravings and me giving in to them. I am proud to report even though my heart is heavy and my eyes are damp with tears, I have not had one bout of emotional eating today.

Today, even though I should be napping since I sat up to comfort Uno while he was ill and passing, I have made wise food choices that are within my calorie allowance and I am on track for my water. I have also done my wii fit step routine.

Replies

• hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. So proud of you for taking care of yourself during this difficult time. Carol CAN do it!
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about Uno, it's always tough when a pet passes but congratulations on your outstanding resolve. Great job :)
  • amyjo519
    amyjo519 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss. :cry: But good job on the other part. Keep it up.
  • nomoxcuses
    nomoxcuses Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Carol, I am so sorry for your loss. I am so happy for you that you managed to REALLY take care of yourself during this difficult time instead of turn to food as a way to make you feel better. We both know emotional overeating would not have been an appropriate way to care for your self. In fact, it could have very easily intensified your feelings of sadness and pain. Bravo!!!!!! Great job!!!!!! And what a positive example you are for your son. Take care and keep of the good work.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Awww that almost made me tear up because I CANNOT imagine holding my dog or cats when they die! Good job for sticking with your healthy lifestyle and I hope you and your son feel happier soon!
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    So proud of you for taking care of yourself during this difficult time.

She said it! Congratulations of taking care of you. Before we "took care" of ourselves by stuffing our faces with food to "feel better" only to feel worse about the trigger event and then the overeating event as well as we all know. How much more SANE are we to TAKE GOOD CARE of ourselves during difficult times!?

When our children are sick, we comfort them, care for them, we don't feed them cake and donuts.

I am proud of you and hope I too can keep up my self-care when the going gets rough. What a great example you are to your son that you can be sad to deal with a loss, but you don't crumble, you stay strong! :flowerforyou:
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this. It is one of the BEST Non-Scale Victorys I have read in a long time. I wish I could send you a real Hug:heart:
    The next few days/weeks will be hard, but remember to lean on your MFP Pals for support, encouragement, and accountability while you take care of yourself and set a Wonderful example for your Son.
  • becomingsara
    Options
    You brought me to tears...your victory, in the face of grief is worth more than a millionedy pounds lost, I think...way to follow your focus!!!
  • brunzieonezie
    brunzieonezie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    sorry for your loss (been there it sucks) anything is possibe if you set your mind to it. keep up the good work!!!!!!!!
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss Carol- it was a year ago this week that my own dog died in my arms and I have been thinking of her all month!! Congratulations on your major victory and keep up the good work!
  • gottoloose2
    Options
    OMG I am an emotional eater and I am SOOOOOO proud of you for your control !! I know it is so hard. Congradulations !
  • canieatnomore
    Options
    I ve been there and I know how hard it is! Sorry for your loss but congratulations on griefing without eating!
  • Carol_can_do_it
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I lost a beloved kitty to renal failure. Your taking care of yourself is a tribute to Uno. Sending you support and condolences.
  • skylersnanna
    Options
    so sorry for your loss :cry:
  • numberscolors
    Options
    i'm so sorry about your kitty :cry: i bet uno is proud of you for staying strong!
  • bigmama65
    bigmama65 Posts: 2,529 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you lost your cat. Proud to hear you didn't emotional eat. That is a great accomplishment as a fellow emotional eater I can understand how strong and determined you must be. Hugs
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!