Someone help me pleeease??!!

Options
hello... i've been going to the gym 2-3 times per week and trying to use this diary to keep an eye on what i eat (bear in mind that before i had this i wouldnt think twice about eating 4 meals per day with around 700-1000cals in each. I know i have good days and bad days but really don't understand how my weigh in today showed me as the same weight as when i started (although my body fat has dropped from 36.2% down to 33%. I would be super duper grateful if someone could please take a peek at my diary and tell me where im going wrong???

Thank you!!!! xx

p.s. I also went shopping today and my waist is definitely no slimmer... still same darn size jeans!! :(

Replies

• BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    If your BF has dropped then you're likely adding muscle. Have you taken other measurements? Bust, hips, thighs, arms? Perhaps your body is taking fat from these places first which is why the waist hasn't changed.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    drink water and wash away the sodium. drink it all day today then reweigh tomorrow. it usually works ;)
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you weigh the same but your body fat has decreased that would explain it. A good idea is to track your measurements so you can see that progress rather than the scale's non progress some weeks. My waist seems to be the last place I lose weight, then my butt & thighs. Maybe you are the same :sad: But hey, a 3% decrease in body fat is certainly an accomplishment you should be proud of! :flowerforyou: good for you!
  • charlichickxx
    Options
    bust is defo the same (i can tell straight away if my bras need changing!!-too delicate!) but havnt measured the rest. feeling like my theighs are actually wobblier if thats possible but completely clueless about the arms and anywhere else. i guess the muscle is a possibility but is there anything that will halp me rid it from the hips/waist? i usually wear jeans on hips and i would love to stop being asked if im preggers whenever i wear a dress because im a little pear shapes now... used to be perfect hourglass 10 :(
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    You're gaining muscle! Muscle is denser than fat, so if you work out a lot and gain muscle you are going to be physically smaller but you may weigh the same as before. In short, you have burned fat and replaced it with muscle :)

You may be bloated right now depending on the foods you have been eating. Try taking other measurements this week (bust is a good one, as are hips, arms, and thighs) and take them again in a couple weeks.
  • eillamarie
    Options
    Correction, a gram is a gram, muscle cannot weigh more than fat, but it is denser tissue, meaning 1g of muscle takes up less space than 1g of fat ;)
  • charlichickxx
    Options
    Okay... the general consensus of replies are to take measurements... ill buy some measuring tape tomorrow and do this and then remeasure in 2 weeks at my next weigh in.... just to check... its definitely nothing im doing wrong on the food side of things?
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options
    I go on that body fat %... and how my tummy looks when I suck it in! lol

Honestly though, I've lost 9kg and have only just dropped a dress size. Don't worry - it's about how you feel inside. hang on in there and you'll feel (and see) results!
  • hisgirlie2007
    Options
    I just looked at your diary, you might actually be eating too little. If you're exercising moderately to heavily and only eating an average of 1200 calories a day, you could be putting your body into starvation mode. Maybe try increasing your calories to about 1400 a day and make sure you eat balanced and drink plenty of water. Hope it helps.
    There are truly people who don't show weight loss right away, I know of someone who can follow a diet for a month before her body shows anything. Be patient and know that you're being healthy, your body will show it eventually.
  • eillamarie
    Options
    Change your nutrient settings to check your sodium (it will automatically update everything). I have a feeling that may be part of the reason your waste isn't smaller (along with you may just lose weight their last).
  • charlichickxx
    Options
    I just looked at your diary, you might actually be eating too little. If you're exercising moderately to heavily and only eating an average of 1200 calories a day, you could be putting your body into starvation mode. Maybe try increasing your calories to about 1400 a day and make sure you eat balanced and drink plenty of water. Hope it helps.
    There are truly people who don't show weight loss right away, I know of someone who can follow a diet for a month before her body shows anything. Be patient and know that you're being healthy, your body will show it eventually.

do you mean to just make sure that i eat my exercise calories without fail every time? i know i dont aaalways do this as im usually to tired and just want bed, but if that will help?
  • charlichickxx
    Options
    Change your nutrient settings to check your sodium (it will automatically update everything). I have a feeling that may be part of the reason your waste isn't smaller (along with you may just lose weight their last).

Might be a bit of a silly noobs question, but what effect does sodium have? should i have lots/a little... is it good or bad? im kind of clueless at this?
  • lefrance12
    Options
    Too much sodium in your diet will cause water retention and prevent you from weight loss. Sodium basically stores water in the body. The less sodium you have the less retention you will have and the weight loss will prevail... Yeaaa!!!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Your diary looks great. But WATER is the key! Gotta drink at least 8 cups - more if you have caffeine throughout the day. Maybe add one more workout - or a walk. Amazing - but WATER really does WORK!
  • RainyDayProphet
    Options
    charlichickxx-

I know the lack of change on the scale can be really discouraging, but It sounds like you are doing everything just fine. I'm not certain what you are putting into each of your meals, but as long as you avoiding soda and other sugary things I'd imagine your body is still adjusting to the changes you are making.

As I was dropping weight I was eating 4 meals per day that totaled up to about 1500 calories. If you are eating 700-1000 per meal, that may be a bit more than you want to show a good progress. My meals were generally between 300 + 500 (I'm 5'10" and exercise for about 1 hour per day).

I know I went through periods of time where I wouldn't drop anything then all of a sudden one day I'd show change.

Tone your muscle and keep trimming your body fat. The weight will drop in time.

Stick with it :) You can do it.
  • charlichickxx
    Options
    added sodium to the diary and just been over the last few weeks. I NEVER add salt or sugar to anything cooking or otherwise (i dont really like salt and i think things taste fine without extra sugar). It seems i have only been over the sodium intake once but generally dont even eat half of the allowed amount. Surely this means sodium is not my problem? Maybe i'm being too premature for ll this huffing and my body is just taking time. I shall keep going for another couple of weeks before making another fuss.....
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    avoid canned foods--buy fresh to avoid excess sodium and for you, eat the exercise cals back and up your cals for 3-4 days or so to see if it creates a more positive result. everyone is different but definitely track your sodium. Fitday.com have a way more in depth analysis of your foods if you really want to play detective and figure it out. Good luck!
  • charlichickxx
    Options
    charlichickxx-

I know the lack of change on the scale can be really discouraging, but It sounds like you are doing everything just fine. I'm not certain what you are putting into each of your meals, but as long as you avoiding soda and other sugary things I'd imagine your body is still adjusting to the changes you are making.

As I was dropping weight I was eating 4 meals per day that totaled up to about 1500 calories. If you are eating 700-1000 per meal, that may be a bit more than you want to show a good progress. My meals were generally between 300 + 500 (I'm 5'10" and exercise for about 1 hour per day).

I know I went through periods of time where I wouldn't drop anything then all of a sudden one day I'd show change.

Tone your muscle and keep trimming your body fat. The weight will drop in time.

Stick with it :) You can do it.

I meant i USED to eat 700-1000 per meal... no way i do that now... 300-500 is about what i have. im 5'9'' and do 45mins 3 times per week alongside general day to day which doesnt tend to be overly active. I guess i was just expecting some encouragement from the scales after this long but no worries... i promised myself 3 months and thats until christmas so i will continue and hope for big results by then (even if big results means just a couple of kg!!)
  • charlichickxx
    Options
    Thank you guys... i think i have a few tips to work on now at least until my next weigh in.... This forum is fantastic!
  • sltb
    sltb Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I initially lost 4 lbs but immediately gained it back. I have realized two things: I am not being completely honest with the foods I'm logging AND I need to eat better foods. I am going to take measurements as well and see if I see any changes there and on the scale. Good luck!