antidepressants/anxiety meds

Options
I had dinner with some dear friends this past week and the subject of anti-depressants/anxiety meds came up. Three of us are on them and have all gained 10-20 lbs per year on the drugs, this is while exercising and watching what we eat. I'm going to start doing some research on this, but want to see if you all know of any correlations.

Replies

• pamelasusan
    pamelasusan Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have been on an assortment of meds for 10 years. I have struggled with my weight since the day that I was born but I have found that the long term use of them has definitely hindered my ability to lose weight.

I am currently weaning off of cymbalta (which I have heard long term use of can cause weight gain) and am anxious to see what happens.

I am curious as to what other peoples experiences have been......
  • happily
    happily Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is a correlation. Most antidepressants are well known to cause weight gain and/or make weight loss very difficult. Your doc should have mentioned this.

Some antidepressants can also totally mess up your glucose levels.

Just above the blue bar with the Topic is a row of words in blue. Click on the blue word Search and look for past posts on antidepresants.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I am not sure since I am not on them. BUT come to think of it...all my friends that do take them struggle with weight. I use exercise as my antidepressant as well as a good tongue lashing to whoever ticks me off. LOL just kidding :)
  • amk73
    amk73 Posts: 16
    Options
    azlady7, Off my topic, but are you in Arizona?
  • amk73
    amk73 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. Its just boggles my mind that 6 years ago I was able to easily lose 50 lbs on Weight Watchers with out exercise and now struggle to lose anything. No matter how much I exercise or calorie count my weight goes up and down, but remains about the same. I'm sure if I did not exercise I'd continue to gain weight as I have in teh past. Just frusterating to exercise so much that I'm not able to lose. I'll be making a doc appt on Monday. the doc who prescribed the meds is no longer my doc, so I'll see what my current PCM has to say.
  • flynabster
    Options
    According to my doctor it's not the meds that cause the weight gain, but it's that you are feeling better so therefore eat more....
    But I totally disagree, lol I ATE when I was depressed.....and thus gained 50 pounds in a year....She also said that my age didn't help either....pffffftttttt, lol

I'm on antidepressants, mood stabilizers and an antipsyhotic (I'm not crazy, really :tongue: ) So, now that I'm here and tracking calories and excercise I'm going to see if it comes off...and I think she's right, cuz I'm already losing.....
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    I'm bumping this topic because I'm interested to see if anyone knows of some that DON'T cause gain, or actually help lose.
  • ksimmons19
    ksimmons19 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about seeing if Welbutrin would be a good antidepressant for you. It is known to be the only antidepressant to not cause weight gain (and sometimes causes weight loss) as well as helps people quit smoking.
  • pamelasusan
    Options
    I am on Wellbutrin but have always had a few others tossed in there as well. Soon it will be Wellbutrin only so I will be the guinea pig here. LOL
  • simplyblessed5
    simplyblessed5 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Paxil caused me to gain 40 lbs in less than 3 months about ten years ago. Sure enough, when I got off the drug- I lost the weight! I hate antidepressants. I have used them from time to time,but have yet to find one that doesn't cause weight gain. Paxil was most certainly the worst though.
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I take Celexa for anxiety problems, but it is in the depressant family. I haven't had any difficulties with losing weight while on it. It's been great for me.
  • Davis713
    Davis713 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am on citropram and I have lost 14 lbs since starting it. I have to take it for ppd and anxiety. My doctor told me that I shouldn't have any problems with losing weight.
  • hisgirlie2007
    Options
    I was on antidepressants and antipsychotics for about a year when I was in high school. I gained 50 pounds in just over 4 months. Part of that may have been that I was hospitalized and basically forced to eat, and stuck inside all the time with no exercise. But, once I got off all but Welbutrin, I lost 40 pounds so fast they almost rehospitalized me--for an eating disorder this time! I think the medications permanently messed up my metabolism, because it never picked back up once off Welbutrin.
  • monica1515
    Options
    I've been on Wellbutrin for several years now and I highly recommend it.

Wellbutrin has a chemical structure that is very different from other popular antidepressant medications on the market. Because it has a different chemical structure and does not have the same side effects as some of the other antidepressants, it has been used successfully by individuals who have not had improvement with other antidepressants, or are having problems with unpleasant side effects.

It has its pro's and con's like all medications. I personally have noticed the:

Pro's -->
    1. Appetite suppressant
    2. Doesn't affect my sex drive (I'm 25 and about to get married, I can't be having any issues with that!)

Con's -->
    1. It causes a little bit of insomnia - I can't sleep more than 6 hours a night no matter how tired or how hard I try!

Good luck in your search! Everyone's chemical make up is different and what works for one, may not work for the other.
  • pamelasusan
    Options
    I am on citropram and I have lost 14 lbs since starting it. I have to take it for ppd and anxiety. My doctor told me that I shouldn't have any problems with losing weight.

What is the brand name of citropam?
  • pamelasusan
    Options
    Paxil caused me to gain 40 lbs in less than 3 months about ten years ago. Sure enough, when I got off the drug- I lost the weight! I hate antidepressants. I have used them from time to time,but have yet to find one that doesn't cause weight gain. Paxil was most certainly the worst though.

I gained weight on Paxil and it made me sweat something fierce! It was also terrible to wean off of!
  • NYIceQueen
    NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
    Options
    I've been on quite a few over the years...the only ones where I didn't gain weight were Wellbutrin (but it made me suicidal) and Pristiq (which I'm currently on and losing weight at the same rate as before).

I think it's just individual chemistries/what other meds they're on, too.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I'm on Welbutrin for anxiety and I'm very happy with it. Not only does it not interfere with weight loss, (at least for me) it also doesn't have any sexual side effects. This makes me much happier :smile:
    I was on Paxil years ago which made me gain weight and kept me from enjoying sex and those two things kept me from wanting to take my meds so, it was this vicious cycle.

It's true about the tiny bit of insomnia. I was taking it before bed because that was when I was experiencing my anxiety, (you know when you are trying to fall asleep and your mind starts racing) but it would make me positively GIDDY! Like, giggly and chatty and the whole bit. Hubby was like, "What is UP???" So.... I started to take it in the morning, problem solved!
  • jbqueen
    jbqueen Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've posted this same info before, but here's my story:

I took Paxil CR several years ago for anxiety and put on 40 pounds in about 1-2 years, and yes, losing weight was really difficult when on it. As a result, I switched to Lexapro and it was somewhat easier . I went off Lexapro for about two years and lost more weight, but my anxiety got worse and my doctor put me on Wellbutrin. It's not typically thought of as an anti-anxiety med, but it does work for some people and it's working for me. I've had no weight gain on it, and have been steadily losing.
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor a few months ago because I thought I needed to be treated for anxiety and/or depression. I've ALWAYS been a chronic worry wort and prone to emotional stress eating. My work life was getting to be too overwhelming and I would come home and cry or be on the verge of tears almost everyday for about a month. I was unproductive, didn't have any focus, got distracted easily and just "gave up" trying to be productive. When I went to the doctor and explained my symptoms we went through THE absolute most thorough Q&A session I've ever had with a medical professional. Turns out I had ADD....not anxiety or depression. Some of the questions didn't really fit me (I was an excellent student, got good grades, graduated with honors) but I did lack focus and had problems keeping my concentration. I was hardly ever able to complete a task from start to finish. Even STARTING something was a pain in the butt because I would have to make a to do list and then get frustrated if I missed something.

I was prescribed Vyvanse and I couldn't be happier. I'm much more productive at work, I have more confidence in myself at work, and I'm not feeling as overwhelmed anymore. My focus and concentration is so much better. One of the pro's of a stimulant is loss of appetite/decreased appetitie (the stress eating has decreased quite a bit but even vyvanse can't keep me away from chocolate when I'm pms-ing!). I have lost like 10 lbs since I started my meds (but I also workout at least 5 times a week for 60-90 minutes) and I feel like a brand new person.

Good luck with whatever you have going on in your life and in figuring out the right meds for you.