calculating calories burned for p90x, insanity, etc???

Options
Does anyone have a good way to try and calculate calories burned for workout videos such as power 90, p90x, insanity, etc?

Replies

• onemoc
    onemoc Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    hold a sec here's one for p90x

http://p90xcalories.com/

but generally for the things like p90x or insanity, they recomend a heart rate monitor. I've heard polar makes good ones.
  • jacob_423
    jacob_423 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks I think that will help.
  • clare_witchbaby
    Options
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/food-fitness/calories-burned-insanity-cardio-power--resistance-dvd

This website calculates an average of your calories burned. You can choose from the various DVDs, put in your weight and it'll churn something out for you.

Hope that helps!
  • JustineV88
    Options
    Get a good heart rate monitor such as polar or garmin and use it to record your workout- it will calculate the calories for you!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    HRMs are, for most people, terrible for activities like this.

Try this instead...

- figure out how far you can run in the length of time you spend on the workout (don't include warm-up/cool-down time)
    - figure out the calories you would burn running that distance
    -> 0.63 * body weight in pounds * distance run in miles
    - multiply by 0.67 (two-thirds)

IE if the workout is 45 minutes long, and you are 190 pounds and can run 10k in 60 minutes, your calories burned should be somewhere around:

-> 0.63 * 190 * 10/1.6 * (45/60) * .67
    -> 375calories

If you cannot run continuously for the length of time the workout lasts, use walking calories instead
    -> 0.3 * body weight in pounds * miles walked

IE, if you can't run for 45 minutes, but can walk 2.5 miles in that time...

-> 0.3 * 190 * 2.5 * .67
    -> ~100 calories

The fitter you are, the more your body can burn. In fact, that's pretty much the operative definition of fitness - being able to burn more, in less time.
  • littlesprite11
    littlesprite11 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar Ft7 and I love it! Tells me my Heart rate, calories I have burned and even stores all these files to keep track of how you are doing. You can get one at amazon or ebay.
  • clare_witchbaby
    Options
    Ok I know I posted about that calorie calculator, but I have a question. If anyone could help me that would be amazing!! :)

I'm 2 weeks into Insanity, and today I did Cardio Power & Resistance. I'm 5f 4", and 119lbs. I recently bought a Polar FT60, and it calculated I burned 416 calories, which I felt a little disappointed with, considering some women have burned up to 700 calories as far as I can see from the forums.

So to double check, I used that calculator and it estimated I should be burning 266 calories during the same workout at my weight, so I am now confused and looking for someone to help me out.

Should I be pushing harder, or are the results I'm getting sufficient?

Any replies would be GREATLY appreciated, even if it's just someone having the same experience :smile:

Get insane, y'all.