When to weigh...

Options
So for as long as I can remember I was always told to weigh yourself once a week at the same time each week and that's considered best practices. Also, I was told to avoid weighing in daily to avoid the frustration. However, I've always been hard headed and I weigh in daily. Does anyone else? What are your pros and cons of weighing in daily vs weekly? I weigh myself each morning after my shower. It gives me a more realistic view of how my previous day went. If I lose as little as half an ounce at least I know I did something right the day before. If I gain a few ounces I know I need to readjust my meals and/or workouts. What about you?

Replies

• crose0056
    crose0056 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    when I am on program counting calories and trying to drop weight I weigh daily and only record on Mondays, keeps me more focused. You get accustom to the ups and downs but weekly it keeps you focused. IMHO
  • aprilmayrocks
    Options
    I have always hated being weighed because the numbers on the scale upset me, so I have went long periods of time without being weighed. It causes me extreme anxiety to get on the scale. I realize that it is imperative to weigh myself now that I am starting to change my eating habits. I have decided to weigh myself once a week. Maybe two times a week.
    I seen on the Dr. Oz show that he recommends weighing yourself first thing in the morning before having anything to eat or drink.
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and have my "true weigh in day" (used to be thursdays but is now Fridays)..That way I can see how certain foods affect me or can remind myself what happens if I skip working out one day because it will reflect on the next morning. I sometimes even weigh myself before bed just to see if it'll be a good morning lol. Granted that throughout the day your weight can fluctuate between 3&5 pounds.
    I weigh after getting up, using the bathroom, taking a shower and getting *dried* off. Wet hair vs dry hair doesn't weigh that much different tbh.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    What may work better is to weigh in daily, but rather than looking at the number, either take an average of the last few days, or look at a graph - the overall trend and averages are much more useful indicators than the daily number.

Saying that, it does help me because a low number says "yea, doing well... keep it up" and a high number says "must try even harder" :).
    I seen on the Dr. Oz show that he recommends weighing yourself first thing in the morning before having anything to eat or drink.
    Believe it or not, that is actually good advice, despite coming from a bad source!
    Ideally, after using the toilet and without and clothes or the exact same ones (ie if wearing night clothes.)
    That should get the most consistent readings reasonable.
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Same day every week or every other week, first thing in the AM. Naked after using the bathroom.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily...but I don't count it until Thursday am.
  • cheryl2926
    cheryl2926 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    HI,
    I weigh in daily as well. It helps me see how my body is responding to daily intake and water retention. It has been my routine for a long time. I always run to the Lou first thing and then weigh myself. Its probably silly but the thing is sitting right there. lol
    I wont lie it is motivating as well to see the numbers dropping now that I am choosing a healthy lifestyle:flowerforyou:flowerforyou:
  • aprilmayrocks
    Options
    I have always hated being weighed because the numbers on the scale upset me, so I have went long periods of time without being weighed. It causes me extreme anxiety to get on the scale. I realize that it is imperative to weigh myself now that I am starting to change my eating habits. I have decided to weigh myself once a week. Maybe two times a week.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I weigh after getting up, using the bathroom, taking a shower and getting off. Wet hair vs dry hair doesn't weigh that much different tbh.

Sorry but...you weigh yourself after "getting off"?? :noway:
    Is that an innocent Americanism or are you really that horny in the mornings that you can't weigh yourself before...?? Surely you would get off before your shower...???! :embarassed:
    Confused Brit.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I weigh after getting up, using the bathroom, taking a shower and getting off. Wet hair vs dry hair doesn't weigh that much different tbh.

Is that an innocent Americanism or are you really that horny in the mornings that you can't weigh yourself before...?? Surely you would get off before your shower...???! :embarassed:
    Confused Brit.

LMAO. I "think" she meant "getting dried off" Hahahaha. :laugh:
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. I can't stay off the scale, especially when I'm losing. When I'm not losing, I'll ignore it until I can't take it anymore and then I get on it and get angry because I gained weight. It's a very special--meaning dysfunctional--relationship!
  • dustinjohnson1331
    Options
    I weigh every day, and use a moving average to ignore the daily weights and just follow the more accurate trend. A good reference, so you don't freak out if you gain a pound or two overnight: http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/signalnoise.html
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    That makes way more sense!! :laugh:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If I'm trying to lose, I weigh in daily. Sure, it's a little more obsessive, but I find my weight fluctuates from day to day. If I weighed in on Friday only, I might find I'm up a pound from water weight that day, and have to wait another week and feel disappointed in myself. When in fact, I could have been down a pound Saturday - Thursday, but would have no idea and feel discouraged.
  • StephyGetsHealthy
    Options
    I use my wii fit every morning and it does a body test thing which weighs you - so technically I do weigh in daily. But I only log and weigh in officially on a scale once a week.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Daily. Once a week sucked really, if you weigh just the day you have water gain, it's like you wasted your whole week... when in truth it's just water weight, and you would have known if you had weighed yourself the day before.

Plus now I don't freak out (too much) when I gain 2-3 lbs before my period. I know it happens every month.
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options

Confused Brit.

LMAO. I "think" she meant "getting dried off" Hahahaha. :laugh:

I totally forgot the word dried. I'm doing a million things at work right now so my brain is thinking faster than my fingers can type :( I'm going to edit that now...
  • desaree01
    desaree01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It's a very special--meaning dysfunctional--relationship!

LMAO. That's how I feel. Such a love/hate relationship with me and my scale.
  • dani818
    dani818 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily to see what adjustments I need to make to my eating, but I only record on Thursdays.