Bipolar Disorder, Depression, and Motivation

Options
Hello MFP!

I am hugely curious to see your replies to this topic, ideas, insights, experiences, etc.

Like many others, I have switched between off and on about diet and fitness over the years. But for someone with Bipolar Disorder, the "off" and "on" times swing in the extreme, a bit further than a normally functioning person. When I am in my "off" time, or the Depression side of Bipolar, I find it very, very difficult to do anything. Those days it's like a heavy blanket is smothering out all drive, motivation, or enjoyment, and my ability to exercise goes with it. Depressive episodes can last for days or for weeks. Even on medication, the symptoms are not fully alleviated. On my "on" days, or Manic episodes, is when I re-set goals, exercise, clean my house (leave my house, haha) and am able to feel excited about goals; push through hard exercises; have the self-control to eat well; etc. Unfortunately, with mania comes a mental state of *over-shooting* my goals and having unrealistic ideas about my abilities. When I swing back into my depression, it is compounded by my inability to meet any of the goals I have set.

Does anyone else experience this, or know someone who does? What did you do to stay consistently healthy through the ups and downs? What are your experiences with goal-setting during bipolar cycles? Any other thoughts come to mind?

Thank you in advance! Looking forward to your replies.

-Sarah

xoxo

Replies

• zombiesalad
    zombiesalad Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm diagnosed with Mood Disorder NOS and it acts very, very similar to Bipolar Disorder.

I found that I absolutely cannot start anything or set any new goals while I'm up. I'll lose interest overnight, or in a week. If I start when I'm in 'neutral' or slightly down, I'm more likely to stick with something. I think I randomly made the decision to change my eating habits and get into better shape when I was heading back down last fall.

Even if I'm not feeling up to exercising, I do my best to to stick with my calorie goal. I try to do some light stretching (even if I don't leave my bed, ha.Yoga in bed morning videos are helpful.) and drink lots of water.

It's a rollercoaster, for sure. The best we can do is hang on. Feel free to add me. :)
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,465 Member
    Options
    I have Bi-Polar II, with panic/anxiety disorder. I do not have the manic episodes, just deep depression, low self esteem, sadness and absolutely no motivation to leave my house. I have a bike of which I ride, but I will put that off until I force myself to do it. I do eat my calories properly (well as properly as I can afford financially). I have literally forced myself to ride my bike 1200 miles since August 1st. Once I get going I love being out and riding and sometimes don't know when to stop :laugh: I have set goals of which I document and or have joined groups to keep me active. Most all of what you have described other than the manic episodes I have. I have found that in the low periods (my daily existence) I have to make myself go out and be active. Just hang in there try to get out during your low periods.
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I can not speak to the Bi-Polar, although I know there has been a 4000% increase in diagnosis over the last decade. Get a second opinion, and a full metabolic and hormonal work up on your blood. Not saying that to be snarky but be sure :D

PTSD & Depression I have struggled with, the biggest help to me was Omega 3's. Sounds silly but they absolutely take the edge off and allow calm rational thought, at least in my case. If you have experienced a manic depression the thought of a calm rational mind seems impossible some days :P

You must plant firmly in your mind that nutrition and exercise is the only means to control the depression and bipolar. For me, excellence in nutrition and exercise routines allowed me to finally unearth what my triggers were and really clearly see the depression coming from a mile away... and subsequently avoid the episode from happening.

While I did require low doses of SSRI's in the beginning, nutrition and exercise has given me all the tools to manage those challenges and then some. I can not tell you how 'worth it' getting your ish together is. I started just over a year ago and lost a bunch of weight, increased my take home pay by 45%, have hardly missed a day of work and am now pursuing my MBA.

Hope my little story helps, feel free to add me if you like.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I had depression for 9 years, meds helped. I noticed that when i get into a routine of exercising, i feel more energized, happier and more in control.

I've been off meds for about 6 yrs and have felt more in control of my life than ever.

-Of course, that's the same time i left a job i hated and divorced a man whom put me down. So that could've been it too :-)
  • susaneddie333
    Options
    I know EXACTLY what ur talking about.....i have the same issues. How can we get the motivation? Im 52 now and the mania is less often..
  • anaconda469
    Options
    This
  • anaconda469
    Options
    I have about 5 different opinions, blood workups up the waz and it comes down to the same thing. I have Bi-Polar II and was miss diagnosed for 15 years and was on anti depressants to the point where I was ready to do something serious. Since I was finally diagnosed correctly, and put on the right meds I have lost 64 lbs. It is hard to get motivated to ride my bike, but I joined a group where I log in mileage of some type everyday. As I have no home exercise equipment that means I have to get out of the house. Once I leave the house, I do feel better as I ride. I live alone so motivation is definitely an issue, but I manage. To the OP, you can do it, don't give up!
  • ausheli
    ausheli Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same, Bi-polar 1, with rapid cycling, I can range from suicide/self harm to hallucinations, just in 1 day, it took ages to get my mix of meds right, and feel that after 5 years since being diagnosed that I have only got grips on my meda now. I'm lucky that I have a great support network as well as a great mental health hospital nearby that keeps me accountable and working hard. It's hard work I hear you, but just keep your plans small, if you don't feel like exercising, just even getting dressed in your running gear and sitting in the couch, I usually get motivated enough in a couple hours to go for a walk
  • TuraCasey
    TuraCasey Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, along with OCD and ADHD in 2007 at the tender age of 34. =) Suddenly, my whole life made sense! I was hoping to find a group on here but I guess this is a good start. How's everyone in myfitnesspal land?
  • Camarose79
    Camarose79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't know what's wrong with me I've never been properly diagnosed. But I go for months or a year or more of pure self loathing, I don't want to kill myself but I don't want to exist and I wish bad things. I don't really get manic periods but I can have months where I'm ok. I don't know yet how to quite get thru it. The entire year of 2014 I did not exercise once and I really let myself go. I just decided that I didn't want to feel like that or look like that anymore so I've been trying since January this year. The hard thing is that no matter how bad I feel or how long it lasts, I still have to function and go to work and leave the house etc. because nobody else will pay my bills! I can take a day off once in a while but not weeks. I don't know, I just keep existing and getting through.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Like others here, I've never been officially diagnosed. But I spent my entire life up to age 28 being horrifically depressed all the time. Crying for no reason. Thinking about killing myself. Then I started working out, which fixed me.

Now if I go more than a week or so without working out, I get depressed again -- even my GF notices it. So I work out.