Special K protein shakes

Options
Im super busy in the mornings, trying to get to work and such. I saw Special K protein shakes and figured they would be good to grab and go and drink on the run. I've noticed when I add them to my food diary, my sugar intake is always over (I also have Light and Fit Greek yogurt for snack daily) Has anyone else ever tried these shakes? Have you had success? Any other suggestions for grab and go breakfasts? Thanks!

Replies

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I don't find that the shakes are healthy. I actually think all of the Special K stuff is garbage disguised as "health food". If you're looking for something to grab and go, I'd suggest an organic meal replacement bar like Pro Bar, a piece of fruit with some almond butter or peanut butter, or if you must have a pre-made shake, Svelte or Orgain nutritional shakes, which both come in lots of yummy flavors and are healthier than the Special K shakes. Svelte has the least sugar of the two options. I really like the coffee and chocolate flavors.
  • SarahDonahe
    SarahDonahe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Duh..I could do that..slice up some fruit before hand just to grab. I was just thinking it would be fast and easy, protein to keep me full, but like I said, going over in sugars.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about being over on sugar, MFP's goal is ridiculously low... just watch your carbs if you want to.

I don't mind those shakes personally, at least when I started they were a healthier way for me to satisfy my sweet tooth than a candy bar, although I haven't tried the Special K ones.

For me fruit for breakfast would never do though. You could look up breakfast egg muffins, make a batch and just grab one of those. Or get some of those 'breakfast to go' trail mix bags.
  • tucker102
    Options
    I have one of these every monring... quick easy and I can drink it on the bus
    I make up for it during the day with other things.

Also I hate eating first thing in the morning so this is an easy way for me to get something in my stomach in the morning
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You could also make your own shakes maybe the night before? Then just grab and go.
  • SarahDonahe
    Options
    Ok...I was just getting a little panic stricken when I saw how far I was going over on sugar...Which has happened before when I upped my fruit intake. Thanks for the input!
  • SarahDonahe
    Options
    Ive been having the double chocolate...this is day 3. Guess I don't really feel full full...but not crazy starving and grumpy. Then again I have a yogurt mid morning.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I quit tracking the sugar a while ago and just focus on total carbs now as part of my macros.

The Special K drinks are ok, but they are pretty low on protein. I switched to a protein powder instead, and I usually blend one with milk (but you can use water or whatever you like) the night before and stick it in the fridge to grab in the morning. I don't like eating actual food at 6am, but I don't like my stomach growling til lunch either :laugh:
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Ive been having the double chocolate...this is day 3. Guess I don't really feel full full...but not crazy starving and grumpy. Then again I have a yogurt mid morning.

you might be better off buying a good quality protein bar (not special k) instead of the shake. if you have the time have you thought about making breakfast burritos and freezing them. pop in the microwave, grab and go.
  • SarahDonahe
    Options
    Is there any way to get the "sugar" off the food diary, and just track calories, fat, carbs, protein, sodium?
  • van692
    van692 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yep - If you go to Food > Settings there is a section to choose what Nutrients, etc you want to track.
  • SarahDonahe
    Options
    Thanks! Maybe will feel less discouraged!