Anybody a vegetarian?

Options
I'm really looking into becoming a vegetarian and don't have a clue where to get started!!

Do you guys eat quorn or do you literally not eat anything like that?!

Any tips would be great. Thanks!

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I'm a veg. I love the Quorn cutlets. They taste so much like real chicken. I love using them for cooking.
  • naturallyjessx
    naturallyjessx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Are you guys more on the vegan side of it where you don't eat eggs cheese etc or do you still eat them?
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescatarian who doesn't eat dairy
    Feel free to look at my diary.
    I eat Quorn because I'm allergic to soy and since I eat eggs they're fine for me. I like them better than Morning Star by A LOT.
    I try not to use fake meats too much.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I could never go without cheese. When I went veg the first time, I did not eat eggs or milk. Now I eat eggs, but I don't drink animal milk, just because I don't like the taste. I eat fish.
  • veggiemama81
    veggiemama81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian making the transition back to vegan. I was never a huge fan of meat analogues but in a pinch I'll grab some Kroger Brand ch'ckn strips. One of the best things about becoming a vegetarian was learning to cook a ton of new dishes. I was vegan for a couple years previously and that really kicked my cooking skills up. Tofu is great once you get the hang of cooking it right and I also have a homemade seitan recipe that is great for a slow cooker roast. Get creative!
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and stick to mostly whole, unprocessed foods. Every once in a while I'll have bread that I didn't bake myself or Smart Balance with Flax, but other than that, I keep to legumes, beans, whole grains, fruits and veggies. I don't like the meat substitutes for 2 reasons. First, they don't actually taste quite right to me and second, they are filled with preservatives and other ickies.

My food diary is open to my friends, so if anyone would like to friend me, feel free. I am friends with vegans, vegetarians and omnivores. I feel it's a personal decision, so I don't judge anyone for what they choose.
  • MizCrys323
    MizCrys323 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm testing out a vegan diet right now, and am really enjoying it-- testing out some new recipes and the such. What do you eat to get in the bulk of your protein? I have some kind of beans for lunch and have a protein shake before I workout everyday, but I know my protein intake is really low.
  • hfbs616
    hfbs616 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian a few years ago and recently I stopped eating meat again. I eat fish, eggs and dairy. If your going to cut out meat take it slow and cut pork and red meat first. Once you're comfortable with that take out poultry. The hardest part is family dinners because you can't really expect people to cater to you. One of my favorite vegetarian dinners is breaded baked eggplant with marinara sauce and a green salad.
  • hfbs616
    hfbs616 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    MizCrys, beans are great for protein but they have to be paired with a whole grain, like rice, to form a complete protein. Nuts like almonds great for protein. Vegan diets are tricky to balance. I wish you all the best :smile:
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Check out the Happy Herbivores group. There are a lot of veg*ns there.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    MizCrys, beans are great for protein but they have to be paired with a whole grain, like rice, to form a complete protein. Nuts like almonds great for protein. Vegan diets are tricky to balance. I wish you all the best :smile:

This statement is actually a fallacy that a lot of people believe. Here's what the experts say:

http://goodfoodproject.net/home/resources/what-the-experts-say/protein-what-the-experts-say/
  • MizCrys323
    MizCrys323 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Sounds like I'm on the right track so far. Going to have a chat with my trainer this weekend, so hopefully he will provide some suggestions as well.
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

This statement is actually a fallacy that a lot of people believe. Here's what the experts say:

http://goodfoodproject.net/home/resources/what-the-experts-say/protein-what-the-experts-say/

Yeah, you don't have to combine with every meal, but you should try and have a variety in your daily intake. But anyway, you should combine rice and beans because rice and beans is delicious. :P

I love Quorn, it's a great chicken substitute and tastes fantastic grilled.