Asthma schmasma

Options
adriannz
adriannz Posts: 29 Member
I apologize for how long this is bound to be, but I have a lot to say! :bigsmile:

I've been dieting since July 2010, but only joined MyFitnessPal about a month or so ago at the recommendation of my sister. I was stagnant at 37 pounds lost, but joining here really jumpstarted my weight loss once again.

I was browsing the success stories for a bit today and was so happy for everyone, so I decided to step on the scale - and realized that I had finally hit the 50 pound mark! (I was 48 pounds down last I looked.)

Today also happens to be the day that I completed day 4 of week 6 for C25K. And it was easy! Although I don't really run... I jog - slowly. But up until two weeks ago I had n-e-v-e-r jogged a mile in my life. I always used my asthma as an excuse. "My throat will close up." "I'll have an attack." "I just can't do it." But I pushed through it, and I've been fine! No troubles at all! And now I know I can do it. I can run a 5K. It'll take me awhile to do it at the rate I go - but I can do it! (I don't have any lined up right now. I'm looking at one my town does in May, though.)

And I came with pictures! Hopefully I do this right!

At 280 pounds in May 2010

oregon1.jpg
oregon2.jpg

Today - 230 pounds

50pounds2.jpg

I still have a long way to go, but I'm feeling pretty darn good about myself! And I apologize for the slightly-tight PJ shorts in the bottom photo, but there's a reason for that! You see, for some reason my motivation for losing weight wasn't barely fitting into an airplane seat or finding my size 22 jeans far too tight or feeling like a fat lazy cow all the time... it was those shorts. I bought them without trying them on because they were XXL and just PJ shorts. But when I got home they wouldn't even make it halfway up my thighs, because I hadn't noticed that the store's version of XXL was size 16/18. That was last June of this year, but I've been able to get them on for the last 15 pounds... I'm just waiting for them to be comfy enough to lounge in!!

So, to wrap this up - I'm no longer going to allow myself to have any excuses. Asthma doesn't have to rule my life - *I* rule my life!

Replies

• k8ieP
    k8ieP Posts: 54
    Options
    That is so great! I also have asthma and had to run in PE class anyway. I would have an attack and just have to lay on the floor until it went away. Four years ago I decided I wasn't going to let asthma get in my way so i signed up for a triathlon. It was indoor and you just had to complete all of the running biking and swimming that an athlete completes by the end of the month. (so just adding all the different days together) I finished in three weeks and was the winner for my age group. I can now do 60 minutes of cardio and more without any symptoms. Asthma is not an excuse. Never let it hold you back again!
    I couldn't see your pics and don't know anything about how to fix them but I am sure you look beautiful!! Keep it up :drinker:
  • maurap26
    maurap26 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting this
    I also have asthma, I know what you mean about using it as an excuse before
    I tell myself now to push through it on the treadmill or whatever & as long as I take my meds. before exercise I know I'll be fine
  • Wiitabax
    Wiitabax Posts: 284
    Options
    So, to wrap this up - I'm no longer going to allow myself to have any excuses. Asthma doesn't have to rule my life - *I* rule my life!

Excellent - what an achievement - well done to you! :smile:

I had asthma a few years back, and that too was my excuse for everything... I'm fortunate now not to have it, nor to need inhalers too - but I recall ANY slight exertion I'd be using the inhaler...

What I should've thought is: "Hey, reason you're having difficulty breathing is because you're exerting yourself AND you're overweight - deal with it!"

And it dawned on me... there are a LOT of overweight people out there that can get out of breath, but they don't need inhalers!

I've known so many people with asthma who don't let it rule their lives and can keep fit - and I'm glad to have met another :smile:

My best wishes to you adriannz

:smile:
  • adriannz
    adriannz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one around here working my way around asthma!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!