Keto Vs. Atkins

Options
I just recently started the Keto Lifestyle (see what I did there?)
and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the difference Is between this and Atkins. I can't seem to find a precise answer..
Does anyone know?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: .

Replies

• Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Every square is a rectangle, but not every rectangle is a square. Atkins is keto because carbs are kept low enough to put the body into ketosis, under 100g per day toughly. Atkins has it's own protocol or phases for induction, balance, pre-maintenance and maintenance.

Atkins is tailored to weightloss. Induction invokes keeping carbs under 20g per day for at least 2 weeks. The balance phase involves eating between 30 to 80g of carves daily until the dieter is within 10lbs of his/her goal weight. Pre-maintenance involves increasing carbs 5 to 10g per step while losing the last 10lbs to goal. Maintenance is establishing less restrictive ketogenic lifestyle.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Not sure you know, but there are keto and Atkins forums on MFP:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1160-keto

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/5181-atkins-support-group

You can share info, ask questions, etc. good luck.
  • SarahMakePretty
    SarahMakePretty Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    From my experience Atkins allows more carbs than your typical Keto diet. I don't stay in Ketosis when I go over, say, 25-30 carbs. Keto is based on high fat/protein, minimal to no carbs. Atkins is too- but has more phases of adding "good carbs" back in. Keto... you are essentially in Atkins induction continually.
  • joshcasares
    Options
    Basically Atkins is low carb high protein diet, where ketogenic is low carb, high fat, adequate protein. I do keto and fats are 75% of my macros protein is 20% and carbs are roughly 5%
  • Wowgirl38
    Wowgirl38 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    From what I understood Atkins is the high protein, low carb diet to lose weight. From what my doctor explained only the one stage of Atkins is considered Keto, but the day to day during dieting and during maintenance is not Keto. Keto is a way of life that puts the body in a separate processing state by eating extremely low carbs and adjustable fat/protein(my doctor says 10% carbs and 45/45 fat/protein for myself) to make the body digest the proteins and fats and not the carbs. My friends daughter is following Keto to help with seizures. My doctor told me to follow to keto diet for the first month to help with my medical problems and losing weight.