PCOS--Insulin resistence

Options
Good morning, all! I was wondering if any of the women on here have PCOS & have successfully lost weight? If so, please let me know I would love to hear your story as I am becoming quite discouraged.

Replies

• amy0975
    amy0975 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS 3 years ago. I have not had any luck with weight loss. I did lose 20 lbs last summer, but it came back. My endo. told me the only way I could lose weight is to drastically cut calories, like below 1000 per day. Well, I did that for 2 1/2 months and got down 20-25 lbs. I stayed hungry all the time and started having low blood sugar issues. I almost passed out several times. When I started eating "normal" again the weight came back quickly.

I am now trying to start again and looking for tips like you. I have been cleared for bariatric surgery, but my insurance will not cover it. I am at a loss on how to get healthy. The only way to cure PCOS is to lose weight, but the side effect of PCOS is gaining weight. It's such a vicious cycle and horrid disease.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have PCOS as well. I was diagnosed about 5 years ago but knew something was wrong a lot longer than that. I actually lost about 95 lbs total over a couple years... but I'm currently expecting (yay for Clomid) my first child and put more on than I like to admit.

Also, there is a group on here of just PCOS women. You can search for it if you like.
  • Alexander233
    Alexander233 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi. I also have PCOS. Diagnosed around 7 years ago. I was put on metformin and lost around a stone in the first 6 months. Being an army wife tho, we move around a lot and I have no continuity with doctors so I have been on and off metformin over the years and have seen my weight yo yo.

You have probably all been told that a low GI diet is best but I must confess I love my carbs. Sod's law!! I also get fed up very easily on diets.

Any tips?
  • fitpiglet24
    fitpiglet24 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't have PCOS, however, i like to think that i know a decent amount about nutrition and i've some across articles on PCOS in the past. can i first just ask what your typical day to day diet/ exercise routine looks like?
  • Alexander233
    Options
    I do usually have a pretty bad diet. No breakfast ( I know that's not a good start but I just can't face anything in the morning). Lunch is usually a sandwich or soup. Dinner is usually accompanied with rice, pasta or chips. It's the snacks in the evening that I struggle to avoid. Exercise is mainly walking.

This week I've had porridge around 10oclock, then soup or toast and egg for lunch and dinner has been my slow cooker veggie chilli. I am pleased to say I haven't snacked yet but I also have not exceeded 1000 cals per day.
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    l
  • fitpiglet24
    Options
    i'm not sure how much you already know so if i tell you something that is obvious to you just ignore it and hopefully something i have to say will help! breakfast can be tricky for some people, however, eating a solid breakfast with a good amount of protein (eggs, plain greek yogurt with some fruit, old fashioned oatmeal with almond butter, berries and cinnamon--so delish!) etc can really set you up for a successful rest of the day.

also, protein at every meal will help counter the affects of whatever carbs you eat, and if you add a healthy fat, such as an avocado, you will feel fuller longer. fill up on healthy fats and you'll be surprised how full and satisfied you will feel. protein and healthy fats won't cause blood sugar to spike which is perfect for those with PCOS.

try not to focus so much on restricting yourself calorie wise and shift your focus to adding more whole, fresh foods that are in there purist form. if you fill your plate up with whole foods that are nutrient dense and relatively low g.i. you won't feel like your missing out on the stuff that isn't so beneficial (pastas, white rice, processed snacks)

snacks are great, i'm deff a grazer (sp?) and really enjoy eating frequently. try to choose snacks that again, are in there purist form such as a handfull of almonds and an apple, baby carrots and hummus, greek yogurt with some berries. if you're really craving an oreo or something not so great, don't beat yourself up. have one and then go grab something more nutrient dense to fill the craving. drinking a class or 2 of water when you feel like snacking can help to. a lot of the times when we think we're hungry, we acutally need more fluids and a glass of water can fill you up long enough for you to reevaluate whether or not you're truly hungry.

as for your pastas and rice, try to switch one night of regular pasta for spaghetti squash. i didn't think it would satisfy my craving for the real deal but it's delish!! add some turkey burger, sauteed onion, peppers and zucchini and you've got yourself a super filling, low carb meal that won't leave you feeling like you're missing out. chips are empty calories and get converted into sugar quickly in the body which then goes straight to your thighs and bootayyy.

exercise is crucial for people with PCOS. cardio is great but if you can incorporate some weight lifting that'll be even better.

hope some of this info is helpful... i don't want to ramble on too much so if there is anything you want to know more about or want some recipe ideas just let me know! :)
  • williamskristy1
    williamskristy1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My biggest challenge seems to be getting at least 1200 calories in everyday. I am trying to keep my carbs under 50-60g and sugars around 30g (simply basing that off some articles that I have read, but I'm not sure of the validity). I don't eat out often; perhaps once a month or so. I exercise regularly & I do weight training 3-4x a week and I have always been physically active (as I have been in the military for 11 years). I have never really focused on carbs and sugars as much as I focused on caloric intake and fat though. Breakfast is one of those meals I will never skip because I wake up hungry, but I think that is the meal I need to change up the most. I have been eating Kashi lean cereal for breakfast & despite its high protein value, the carbs is like 34g! (again, this is something I hadnt focused on before--hence my suprise).
  • Alexander233
    Options
    Wow fitpiglet24. Many thanks for your post. I will try and put some if your advice into practice. I would love some healthy recipe ideas if you wouldn't mind.:)
  • youcandooeet
    youcandooeet Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Low carb works wonderfully for people with PCOS and insulin resistence, and we're actually the best people for a low carb diet. I lost 50 pounds in about four months on a strick low carb diet. I was able to slowly switch to counting calories, but I still do best if I"m limiting my carb intake at least somewhat. Back for round two, trying to lose more with just low calorie. Wish me luck!
  • Bonsters3
    Bonsters3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As I'm sure you've figured out, weight loss with PCOS is difficult, to say the least. I won't pretend to be an expert, since I am right here with you trying to lose my weight, but I do have some experiences I can share.

I was diagnosed with PCOS in my 20's. Went through pretty much everything imaginable to get pregnant with my triplets who will be 16 in a few months (including many drugs which do not help with weight loss!). Here I am right about at my pre-pregnancy weight, with about 50 lbs to lose.

I have tried to lose many times, and have had varying degrees of success. The key for me is dedication and willpower. If my head's not in it, I won't lose. If I say 'I'm watching what I eat' without logging/tracking, I won't lose. I have lost about 50 lbs from my highest weight over the past couple of years though, so it CAN be done. After a lull in my dedication and taking time out to enjoy my changing life over the past year or so, I'm now back to it and ready to finish the job, and keep it off. I am thankful to have a couple of people close to me trying to do the same thing - accountability is key!

The one thing that has worked for me consistently (when I am dedicated), is focusing on 'good carbs'. I know better than to think I can live the rest of my life without carbs. I would take a plate of spaghetti over a brownie, any day. One rule of thumb that is helpful is to not eat anything white. If you need bread, eat whole grain - not white bread. If you want a potato, eat a sweet potato, not a white potato. If you want rice, eat brown rice, not white rice. Surprisingly, I found that after sticking with good carbs for a while (a week or two?) that I actually stopped craving the bad ones so much. Timing of eating certain foods is also a factor, though I admit that I haven't quite gotten a handle on that one yet. I also try to keep myself from getting very hungry. Eating more frequent, small meals/snacks, helps with that. Weighing/measuring your food whenever possible is also important.

Also, I sincerely believe in 'everything in moderation' because I imagine the PCOS isn't going to go away, and I will always be borderline insulin resistant and my weight will always be an issue. I need to lose on a plan that includes the same foods I will continue to eat when I am at my goal - I just might be able to have a little more then.

My final piece of advice, try not to let a tiny mistake/indulgence turn into a big one (if you make the decision to eat a cookie, enjoy that cookie and don't beat yourself up, but don't eat the whole package; if you totally derail at a party on Saturday, don't throw in the towel on the whole weekend and say 'I'll start back Monday').

Good luck to you!
  • fitpiglet24
    Options
    Wow fitpiglet24. Many thanks for your post. I will try and put some if your advice into practice. I would love some healthy recipe ideas if you wouldn't mind.:)

no problem! check out "oh she glows.com" its a blog based on vegan recipes. i'm a meat lover but this blog has some awesome alternative recipes that will keep you interested. "diets" can be frustrating, unfullfiling at times and repetitive but this blog keeps things fun, different and creative while maintaining super healthy and clean ingredients that will help with weightloss and over all health.

i'll work on some of my fav recipes for you but in the meantime, take a little look at the blog and im sure you'll be whipping up something healthy and delish in no time!

good luck to you!
  • KayaSamantha
    KayaSamantha Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have had PCOS since I was a teenager and have recently started to cut out the majority of sugars and all artificial sweeteners and grains out of my diet. I am eating high protein and low carb but not really watching my calories and I have lost ALL of the bloating feelings I used to get and have lost weight to boot! It is working for me. I would definitely recommend going to see a nutritionist who has experience in PCOS and googling "PCOS diet" and using pinterest for recipes. Good luck!
  • angraham2
    angraham2 Posts: 128
    Options
    My daughter is Insulin Resistant, and may have PCOS. But she is successfully loosing weight following a THM lifestyle. Here is a link http://www.trimhealthymama.com/ in the book they discuss insulin resistance and other female problems. It is easy to follow, and doesn't severely limit your food options. Hope it helps!
  • FireflyJay
    Options
    "I am trying to keep my carbs under 50-60g "

Unless directed by a doctor you could probably up your carbs between 100-150 for insulin resistance. I've been eating around 200g (mainly from the lack of will power to hit around 150 lol, I like eating) and have felt alot better since I'm paying attention to my protein and the type of carbs I'm eating. Try to do a search engine search about foods/carbs with a low GI, you'll want to stay away from foods that spike your insulin high for insulin resistance. Of course I don't know you or your health so this is just advice from my current experience with dealing in a similar issue and what I have noticed the last few days from watching carbs. Best of luck to your journey and you can add me as a friend if you like.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'm insulin resistant as well
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and insulin resistance and the best thing I have found was a low carb diet. I am not necessarily a success story in the weight loss department yet. But I went on a low carb diet for 3 months and all of my symptoms started to reverse. This included ovulating on my own resulting in pregnancy. So not on the same diet now though I am trying to keep my carbs below 120 to prevent gestational diabetes.

The way my doctor explained it to me, each PCOS woman/insulin resistant person has a certain carb level they can personally handle. For many that is just staying under 200 g carbs per day others 100. For me, I found that I maintained between 50 and 75 carbs per day. Over that and I gain, under 50 and I lose. I stayed under 20 carbs per day for the three months prior to getting pregnant and I lost 10-12 lbs in 3 months, started ovulating, my acne was gone, my weird hair growth had greatly slowed and I had endless amounts of energy! It was amazing the difference. This particular diet is called the ketogenic diet and it is a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet. It was difficult for the first two weeks but after that even my cravings were gone. It was really nice!

I had a really long journey to get to that point including doctor supervised low calorie diet where I averaged between 1000 and 1100 cals per day. After about 6 months I had gained 15 lbs and almost passed out twice from low blood sugar and I decided that I didn't care enough to try to lose that way. After that I had another doctor tell me about the low-gi diet. This one, I actually lost 10lbs in about 6 months but nothing I tried allowed me to lose anymore for some reason. My theory is that my insulin resistance had been getting worse but I didn't know it. After that was when I started experimenting with carb levels. I slowly started dropping my carbs every two weeks until I found my levels that worked for me. After that, another doctor told me about the ketogenic diet for PCOS and how many women find great success. For months I was like, yeah that will really work. I won't be able to stick to that at all. But honestly when I finally got fed up with how hard I was working on everything and having no progress I decided it was worth a try. I said I would stick to it for a month. I can do anything for a month! I lost about 3 lbs in that month (I was already extremely well hydrated and fairly low carb so I didn't experience the quick water weight drop that most do) and my husband who is very supportive and decided to do this with me dropped 10 lbs. But even more importantly, I started really having energy. I wasn't getting the afternoon drop that I have had my whole life. I was sleeping great! My acne started to really go away for the first time since before puberty! Then the second month, I had even more energy, my period wasn't horrid, I had a period on my own! It just continued getting better in the third month but I had no period this month and I was like. Oh ok at least I had one and things are getting better. I also stopped losing weight but I wasn't gaining either. I had no idea what was going on. Turned out that in that 3rd month, I had actually ovulated (with no signs I might add) and I got pregnant. I wasn't losing because what I would have lost, was being gained for the baby. It was great! So even though I can't be on the diet now, my husband is and loves it. I will be back on it as soon as possible after giving birth!

Even if you don't start with the keto diet because it is so restrictive, try finding your carb load. It is a long and annoying process but it is so worth it!
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I've lost over 50 lbs so far. I'm not even doing low carb or anything. I just stick to 1500 cal a day and I walk a mile 4-5 times a week. I do some Zumba now and then as well. That's really it. I also had a bad thyroid (on meds now for that) so it's been a difficult journey but now that I'm on thyroid meds and on birth control to give me periods (I don't have them at all without bc pills) I'm doing really well.
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have lost almost 60 pounds in the past. I gained 30 of that back, and now aim to lose 40.

I HAVE to log,I have to stay near 1200 calories or I gain, and without logging, I underestimate portion sizes
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I had bariatric surgery about 15 years ago, lost about 75lbs and then put almost all of it back on. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 10 years ago. At that time glucose tests showed no problems with how my body processed insulin. I have since progressed to Type 2 diabetes.

The only way I have ever lost weight in my entire life is by watching my carbs, however I love my carbs. Per my dr's instructions I am watching my carbs, but not severely carb restricted. I eat between 100 and 125 grams of carbs on most days. I also aim for at least 80 grams of protein per day. And if my exercise has gotten the MFP protein recommendation higher than that I go for the higher number. I focus on getting in sufficient protein, and that has naturally reduced the number of carbs I eat.

I do not severely restrict calories. I have done that in the past, and it just becomes unsustainable over time. I use the MFP recommendations for a 2lb per week loss. If my exercise calories are less than 500 in a day, I try not to eat them back. If they are over 500, then I will eat some of them back. I have been very successful using this method, losing 34 lbs in 80 days. I know as I lose more weight I will not be able to sustain this calorie deficit. I'll deal with that when I come to it.

I think exercise is key as it not only burns calories but actually changes how your body uses insulin and deals with carbs. I ride my stationary bike for 45 minutes every day, and then target and additional type of exercise 3 times per week for at least 30 minutes. It could be walking, a workout dvd, swimming, just something to move.
  • getfitsarah89
    getfitsarah89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and just started using this website. I have lost weight about 75lbs using weight watchers, but I was hoping this might work and it would be more cost effective for me. Heres hoping!! I try to eat well and excersices but as we all know it takes some time to loose the weight when you have PCOS.