PCOS--Insulin resistence

Options
2»

Replies

• junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has PCOS... she's got some great resources out there.
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have a severe case of PCOS and have lost 60 lbs and maintained it for two years. You can friend me or email with any questions.
  • Vegan_85
    Vegan_85 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and lost 35lb by eating 1,200 calories a day. I wasn't really over weight since my starting BMI was 24.5, and it's now 18.3. However, I've been a strict vegan for eight years, so I think that prevented me from gaining too much in the first place. I'm in maintenance mode now. Feel free to add me.

*I was diagnosed with PCOS at 18. I'm 28 now. My maintenance range is between 1,400 - 2,000. On saying that, I've gone up to 2,500 once in a while and haven't gained the weight back.

**I'm not on any medication for PCOS. The combined pill gave me bad headaches and mood swings, whereas the prog only pill made me depressed.
  • tulip_in_a_cup
    tulip_in_a_cup Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have had PCOS for at least nine years, and yes it is difficult to lose weight!!! Not a lot of advice or success stories from me personally (I have lost and regained plenty of times), but pcosdietsupport.com has great articles! That site has given me a lot of strength just by letting me know that I'm not alone :)
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't start with the keto diet because it is so restrictive, try finding your carb load. It is a long and annoying process but it is so worth it!

If you find keto restrictive, try a cyclical keto diet. Something like what is laid out in the Carb Nite solution. You pick one night a week where you eat whatever carbs you want.

All other days you eat keto macros 70% fat / 10% carb / 20% Protein.

You never know, you might like avocados, cream cheese and butter more than carbs!

Also, you may want to check this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/964404-pcos-insulin-resistance-info?hl=pcos+insulin#posts-14713992

Good luck.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later. I was diagnosed with PCOS last year and have had a hell of a time losing weight because of it.
  • Athena413
    Options
    i'm not sure how much you already know so if i tell you something that is obvious to you just ignore it and hopefully something i have to say will help! breakfast can be tricky for some people, however, eating a solid breakfast with a good amount of protein (eggs, plain greek yogurt with some fruit, old fashioned oatmeal with almond butter, berries and cinnamon--so delish!) etc can really set you up for a successful rest of the day.

also, protein at every meal will help counter the affects of whatever carbs you eat, and if you add a healthy fat, such as an avocado, you will feel fuller longer. fill up on healthy fats and you'll be surprised how full and satisfied you will feel. protein and healthy fats won't cause blood sugar to spike which is perfect for those with PCOS.

try not to focus so much on restricting yourself calorie wise and shift your focus to adding more whole, fresh foods that are in there purist form. if you fill your plate up with whole foods that are nutrient dense and relatively low g.i. you won't feel like your missing out on the stuff that isn't so beneficial (pastas, white rice, processed snacks)

snacks are great, i'm deff a grazer (sp?) and really enjoy eating frequently. try to choose snacks that again, are in there purist form such as a handfull of almonds and an apple, baby carrots and hummus, greek yogurt with some berries. if you're really craving an oreo or something not so great, don't beat yourself up. have one and then go grab something more nutrient dense to fill the craving. drinking a class or 2 of water when you feel like snacking can help to. a lot of the times when we think we're hungry, we acutally need more fluids and a glass of water can fill you up long enough for you to reevaluate whether or not you're truly hungry.

as for your pastas and rice, try to switch one night of regular pasta for spaghetti squash. i didn't think it would satisfy my craving for the real deal but it's delish!! add some turkey burger, sauteed onion, peppers and zucchini and you've got yourself a super filling, low carb meal that won't leave you feeling like you're missing out. chips are empty calories and get converted into sugar quickly in the body which then goes straight to your thighs and bootayyy.

exercise is crucial for people with PCOS. cardio is great but if you can incorporate some weight lifting that'll be even better.

hope some of this info is helpful... i don't want to ramble on too much so if there is anything you want to know more about or want some recipe ideas just let me know! :)

I don't disagree with anything you said here, but how is this any different from what a person who doesn't have PCOS should do? PCOS has it's own set of complications that, even if everything you mentioned above is done, weight loss still doesn't happen. I know this because I speak from experience. It took me 7 months and 5 different doctors to finally get an actual diagnosis. I was doing EVERYTHING correctly, as monitored by a doctor and a personal trainer, and still was not losing weight. I had nearly every symptom of hypothyroidism you could think of, but my lab tests were perfect. I did a lot of research and was incredibly persistent and finally convinced the NP at my gynecologist's office to re-test and to do some other specific tests that hadn't been done before. When all was said and done, it wasn't my inability to eat right or exercise that was caused my inability to lose weight, it was PCOS. Not that what you said isn't great advice, but I'd be interested to hear more from people who have experienced successful weight loss WITH PCOS and what they feel was the greatest contributor to their success.
  • Alexander233
    Alexander233 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi jrdoty8986, I tried all kinds of diet and have joined gyms in the past and tried Zumba, body pump, body attack and body combat, all to actually only make me gain weight. Which in turn makes me feel "what's the point in trying"! The only way I've physically lost weight in the last 7 years since being diagnosed is periods when I've been on metformin (glucophage) or the pill. I have been on metformin constantly now for the past 9 months and my weight has remained quite steady. I still want to lose tho. I have around 17 pounds to shift to be at my ideal weight for my height.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I don't disagree with anything you said here, but how is this any different from what a person who doesn't have PCOS should do? PCOS has it's own set of complications that, even if everything you mentioned above is done, weight loss still doesn't happen. I know this because I speak from experience. It took me 7 months and 5 different doctors to finally get an actual diagnosis. I was doing EVERYTHING correctly, as monitored by a doctor and a personal trainer, and still was not losing weight. I had nearly every symptom of hypothyroidism you could think of, but my lab tests were perfect. I did a lot of research and was incredibly persistent and finally convinced the NP at my gynecologist's office to re-test and to do some other specific tests that hadn't been done before. When all was said and done, it wasn't my inability to eat right or exercise that was caused my inability to lose weight, it was PCOS. Not that what you said isn't great advice, but I'd be interested to hear more from people who have experienced successful weight loss WITH PCOS and what they feel was the greatest contributor to their success.

I would be interested to know if you tracked blood sugar during this time? My wife has PCOS and I am trying to help her lose weight. From some of the info I have seen, keeping the blood sugar low may help and that is what we are trying with a ketogenic diet. It is early, so I can't really report any results but I was hoping since you were monitored by a Dr. that maybe they had you doing post-prandial blood glucose testing.

Thanks.
  • fitpiglet24
    fitpiglet24 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure how much you already know so if i tell you something that is obvious to you just ignore it and hopefully something i have to say will help! breakfast can be tricky for some people, however, eating a solid breakfast with a good amount of protein (eggs, plain greek yogurt with some fruit, old fashioned oatmeal with almond butter, berries and cinnamon--so delish!) etc can really set you up for a successful rest of the day.

also, protein at every meal will help counter the affects of whatever carbs you eat, and if you add a healthy fat, such as an avocado, you will feel fuller longer. fill up on healthy fats and you'll be surprised how full and satisfied you will feel. protein and healthy fats won't cause blood sugar to spike which is perfect for those with PCOS.

try not to focus so much on restricting yourself calorie wise and shift your focus to adding more whole, fresh foods that are in there purist form. if you fill your plate up with whole foods that are nutrient dense and relatively low g.i. you won't feel like your missing out on the stuff that isn't so beneficial (pastas, white rice, processed snacks)

snacks are great, i'm deff a grazer (sp?) and really enjoy eating frequently. try to choose snacks that again, are in there purist form such as a handfull of almonds and an apple, baby carrots and hummus, greek yogurt with some berries. if you're really craving an oreo or something not so great, don't beat yourself up. have one and then go grab something more nutrient dense to fill the craving. drinking a class or 2 of water when you feel like snacking can help to. a lot of the times when we think we're hungry, we acutally need more fluids and a glass of water can fill you up long enough for you to reevaluate whether or not you're truly hungry.

as for your pastas and rice, try to switch one night of regular pasta for spaghetti squash. i didn't think it would satisfy my craving for the real deal but it's delish!! add some turkey burger, sauteed onion, peppers and zucchini and you've got yourself a super filling, low carb meal that won't leave you feeling like you're missing out. chips are empty calories and get converted into sugar quickly in the body which then goes straight to your thighs and bootayyy.

exercise is crucial for people with PCOS. cardio is great but if you can incorporate some weight lifting that'll be even better.

hope some of this info is helpful... i don't want to ramble on too much so if there is anything you want to know more about or want some recipe ideas just let me know! :)

I am no expert and I completely get that PCOS has it's own difficult obstacles to overcome, and i'm not trying to discredit how hard it can be for a lot of people with PCOS to lose weight. With that being said, I personally believe that what we put in our bodies has the power to either negativley effect us and cause disease and different disorders, or it can positively effect the body and promote healing and balance. People have successfully controlled/eliminated their diabetes through a clean, healthy diet and exercise because they are giving their body what it needs to function properly and eliminating the unhealthy trigger foods that are causing the imbalance and insulin malfunctions.

I also believe that our minds are extremely powerful and what we think often manifests itself physically. I read a really interesting book called "You Can Heal Your Life" by Louise Hayes and she basically talks about how negative thoughts such as "I'm not good enough" or common fears people have, past negative experiences, can manifest themselves as a diease, ailment, skin condition etc. She gives tools on how to let go of past negative experiences and shift your thoughts in a positive direction. I've used her techniques for other things such as persistent headaches GI issues and it's crazy how much it has helped!

It seems like a silly, simple thing that won't make much of a difference, but you would be surprised. Sometimes when we have these conditions that persist, even though we are doing everything right physically, we need to shift our focus from the physical aspect and work on the mental.

There's no quick fix, but I feel like our bodies want to be healthy and heal and if we work on all aspects (physical, mental, spiritual--if your're comfortable with it) then our bodies can really begin to heal.

Again, just my opinion and just trying to help! :) goodluck ladies!
  • Athena413
    Options
    ^ Again, I don't disagree with anything you said. Everything you said is very good, solid advice. I was just probing for more information from people who have actually successfully lost weight with PCOS.

I appreciate your input and hope I didn't come off as rude, as that was not my intention.
  • Athena413
    Options
    I was more monitored by the personal trainer, than the doctor, so no blood glucose monitoring. The PT mainly monitored my eating and exercise. As I stated, it took 5 different doctors to actually get a diagnosis. The medical side was actually fairly unhelpful. There was some "try this diet" and "eat less, exercise more" comments, but nothing incredibly helpful, especially when all my thyroid tests kept coming back within range. It wasn't until speaking with the NP and explaining my situation, AGAIN, that she properly tested me for insulin resistance and based on those results and a family history of PCOS, diagnosed me. She put me on metformin at that time and told me to continue to take my birth control, but I haven't had much success since my hormones went totally wacky.
  • Alexander233
    Alexander233 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    OMG!! Just 2 weeks after my first post here I have discovered I'm pregnant after 7 years of trying and battling PCOS! I'm still walking around in a trance. Miracle!! :-)

A lot of people advise to "never give up hope"!! My advice is the opposite. Give up hope and you could get the shock of your life! Lol

Xx
  • williamskristy1
    williamskristy1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Such amazing news!! Congratulations!! I have actually been told the same thing about giving up hope as a few women I know did the very thing & ended up pregnant!! :) Congrats again; such a blessing!