Make my vegies taste amazing

Options
1a1a
1a1a Posts: 761 Member
What do you do to make your vegies taste good?

I need to eat more, I get a bit bored of just steaming them up and eating with cheese.

Replies

• pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Cut everything 1" cubes sprinkled with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast. Just adds so much flavor.
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Roast them! A good mix is sliced red peppers, baby tomatoes, sliced red onions, sliced butternut squash and sliced courgettes (zucchini). Put in a plastic bag and toss in a tablespoon of olive oil, spread on a baking tray, top with a few sprigs of rosemary and roast till soft. Delicious. You can also do a jacket sweet potato as a change from ordinary baked potato. Carrot and swede mash is very tasty too.
  • nikibean123
    nikibean123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Herbs, roasting, lazy garlic is awesome and quick! Eating with cheese will be pretty unhealthy so try seasoning instead of eating with something else. Salt pepper, rosemary, thyme, basil or chili if you like it hot!
  • monisiaczeq
    monisiaczeq Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i put curry spice on my courgettes and oven bake them! this does the trick for me :D
  • ItsTimeCharlie
    ItsTimeCharlie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind mushroom flavourings....Low in cals and price but high in flavour... Probably have to go to an asian store to buy whats called Mushroom sauce or Vegetarian Stir Fry sauce (apparently its like oyster sauce but I think its nicer), a good sesame oil (not toasted) Lee Kum Kee is pretty good and also if you can get Japanese mushroom seasoning, its like mushroom stock made into little granules. I actually use it in replacement of alot of salt.

Heat up a wok or pan really hot add 1 tsp oil!
    Throw in bite sized vege and stir fry then add small amounts of water more so to create steam and stop sticking while cooking.
    Turn down the heat and add 1 Tbsp of Mushroom sauce and mix through.

Turn off heat! And add 1 tsp of Mushroom seasoning (salt) and a few drops of sesame oil.

If using normal salt, be very careful not to over do it! Salt can build leaving it unpalatable.

Hope this might help someone :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Homemade mayo makes everything taste good :)

Another vote for roasting too - coated in ghee or coconut oil, sprinkled with salt, pepper, herbs and spices to taste.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    they are tasty as they are,
    nothing added.
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I sauté them and put soy sauce, garlic powder, and ginger powder. I get bored of boiled and steamed veggies as well.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm another for roasting vegetables. Oil, salt, and pepper are all you need. Add spices as you like - curry powder, smoked paprika, chili, etc.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Roasted sweet potato, parsnip, carrots, peppers and cauliflower with garlic...yum!

Right now I'm eating a sort of spicy veggie rice, with brown rice, beans, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, chillies, peppers, sweetcorn and peas. Add some spices and it's mex delicious.
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Curries and hot sauces will spice things up nicely.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm interested too. Roasting is wonderful but I don't like the extra calories from the oil. Any simple spices?
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I season them with a seasoning called Uncle Chris's Steak seasoning, then roast them for about half an hour. I actually season my chicken with it, too.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Add crisped bacon bits, works wonders :happy:
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Orrr, when i was younger, I used to do a lot of tomato sauce type dishes (spag bol, chilli etc) and blend veggies into the sauce, like celery and mushrooms. Can't taste them but all the goodness is there.
  • ellenvmelon
    Options
    I saute them (sometimes with a bit of garlic too), then add lemon, salt, and pepper. Is especially good with greens!
  • nebrasch
    nebrasch Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love hummus. Great substitute for cheese!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making spring rolls with them?

I just made my first batch last night and they weren't as finicky as I thought they'd be. I think they're pretty yummy, too.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    I'm interested too. Roasting is wonderful but I don't like the extra calories from the oil. Any simple spices?

You use such a small amount of oil that unless you are on quite low calories, it is very easy to account for.

I roast mine. Right now I am in a roasted broccoli phase. Olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Yum!
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I just use dried mixed herbs (sometimes fresh) on mine. There are a few premixed selections at most supermarkets. They will often come labeled as French / Italian / Chinese etc. I use a sprinkle of any and or all of them and/or extra garlic/mint. I mostly microwave my veggies (speed/ease) but it works for roasting, steaming and boiling as well, either in the water as a sort of stock for a mild flavor or after when drained. Also stock cubes work. Maybe try new veggies as well I am a HUGE lover of fennel but a lot of the people I know have never had it and refuse to even try.