Eating Before Exercise

Options
I have approximately 60 pounds to lose. I'm not young so I will never be "buff" but I started Aqua-fit and LOVE IT! However I'm finding I get serious and debilitating heartburn about 10 minutes into the session. Last night it was so bad I had to practically stop. I had eaten 2 bowls of homemade chicken veg soup with noodles and a ciabatta bun about an hour and a half before pool time. What should I be eating and how long before starting to exercise?

Replies

• iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Some people don't eat at all before working out, but I can't work out hungry, so I will usually eat something light, like a half a protein bar to take the edge off. If I work out on an empty stomach, I'll get dizzy and weak. So it's all personal - if you get heartburn, then eat less or not at all. Trial and error.

And by the way, you can certainly get "buff" at any age - age is just a number. But congrats on your commitment!
  • OpheliaCrump
    OpheliaCrump Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great advice ~ thanks! Perhaps I'll have the bar before and the soup after. Classes are at 7:45 pm so by the time I get home its close to 9:00 and I don't want to eat a regular meal after that. So the rest of the bar with the soup might be the answer. As you say, trial and error.
  • dan23chi
    dan23chi Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Sometimes before my workout i just have a protein shake and /or toast with peanut butter to get those carbs in.