Shakeology--Does it work?

Options
Good morning Friends, Im considering Shakeology to help me lose around 20 pounds left of baby weight.

Any tips about how i should tackle this?

Have you tried it before, and did it work?

Replies

• SisLyn1
    Options
    I love Shakeology and drink it daily as my breakfast. You may have to adjust to the taste at first, but it is well worth it.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    It's crazy expensive. You do not need this AT ALL to lose weight.
  • coachpryor
    Options
    shaekology wont help you lose weight by its self despite what people tell you.
    its just a meal replacement. and a good one. with a lot of good stuff in it to help with nutrition but don't expect diet miracles on it. they are called supplements for a reason. Make sure your diet and workouts are in check first
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Save your money, eat a deficit and exercise. Same results except the weight will not pile back on faster if you stop.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    It "works" because it helps you consume fewer calories. Calorie deficit = weight loss. You can do that just by using MFP, with no shakeology at all.

If you want to use it feel free, but please know that it's not a magic solution and you're basically paying for someone else to control your portions, rather than just learning to control them yourself.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options

they are called supplements for a reason. Make sure your diet and workouts are in check first

Totally this! A supplement is meant to supplement a proper diet, not to replace it! Besides most of the people I know who have been taking meal-replacing shakes, said all the same thing: after the diet was done and I started to eat normal again I gained everything + some extra pounds back!

and this:

It's crazy expensive. You do not need this AT ALL to lose weight.
  • Miche11e5
    Miche11e5 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I drank Shakeology for awhile...and it is an interesting nutrition supplement. I don't think that eating or drinking any specific thing helps with weight loss though. To lose weight, you need to consume fewer calories than you expend. Track your intake here and you should accomplish your goals. If you want to drink Shakeology while doing that - go for it. Personally, I stopped. I felt the benefit did not meet or outweigh the cost.

I found this website http://www.mealreplacementshakereviews.com/ which offers good information about meal replacement shakes. I'm not sure if it is biased or not, I don't think it is, but you can never be sure.

Good luck!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I use Shakeology but not to lose weight. I wasn't getting enough nutrients in my regular breakfasts/snacks so I decided to try it since it contains so many "super foods". It keeps me full until lunch and gives me a boost of energy... I use it as a supplement. I have it for breakfast or a snack everyday. The rest of my meals and snacks are high protein/low sugar. I workout every day. That's what I do to maintain/lose weight. It is not a weight loss shake.
    It does cost like $120/month supply, but since I have it as breakfast, it's a $4 meal every day.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    What is your definition of work?

it's a shake, you get the same results eating any other food
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Good morning Friends, Im considering Shakeology to help me lose around 20 pounds left of baby weight.

Any tips about how i should tackle this?

Have you tried it before, and did it work?

Absolute waste of money...
  • rubix08
    rubix08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I used Shakeology for a little over a year and only stopped a few months ago when I found myself using it less and less. I still have a bag left and use it on occasion in a shake or just as a quick meal but I no longer make it a staple in my food log like I used too. Do I think it helped? Probably. I did lose most of my weight while I was using it but I can't say it was because of the Shakeology that I lost it. I also watched what I ate and started running. It does have a lot of nutrients in it so I always felt like at least if I had managed to miss out on other fruits or veggies throughout the day that shake would at least help fill that gap. It is expensive which is actually one of the reasons why I cancelled it but if you want to give it a try for a month and see how you like it (and you have the money) then I would say go for it.

In the past few months that I have been off it I am still losing weight, mostly because now at this point I have a familiar routine and know what to eat and what works for me. Shakeology was a nice meal replacement that I just got used to having for breakfast but after a while I realized I would rather have food instead so I would make the shake a snack later on (I made it bare minimum with just one scoop and water). You definitely don't need it to lose weight, watching cal intake and what you eat will do that. A bit of exercise will help too if you are able.
  • stephierue
    stephierue Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I agree with LaurenAok, learning to control your portions are key. I buy prepackaged, chips & 100 calorie packs sometimes because when I want junk I want someone to control my portions. If you need something to get the ball rolling it's good, but remember long term strategy is the key to success and learning control is a skill. Good luck to you!
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Shakeo isn't a weight loss product, it's a protein/superfood shake mix. I use it daily, just one of the up to seven times I consume calories. I feel awesome, but fully recognize it might not be for everyone and that is fine. I think there are lots of different products out there because everyone finds that something different works for them than may work for someone else.

Others are correct when they say you do not *NEED* Shakeology to lose weight. I lost a hundred percent of my weight before I ever gave Shakeo a try. I eat a pretty well balanced, good diet. I feel like Shakeo only adds to that so it works great for me.

Many weight loss products will also advise that you exercise moderately, monitor your calorie intake and drink lots of water in accordance with that specific product. The side effect of a healthy lifestyle is a healthy weight, so you shouldn't feel like you ever NEED something to take weight off for you. You can do it.

All that said, Shakeo is expensive (I don't mind the cost anymore, but it's tough at first) so if you really do want to try it I would suggest you purchase a taste sampler through your coach first. It's four packets, three flavors. That way you can try a variety of flavors without ending up with a whole bag of stuff you might not even like.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    shaekology wont help you lose weight by its self despite what people tell you.
    its just a meal replacement. and a good one. with a lot of good stuff in it to help with nutrition but don't expect diet miracles on it. they are called supplements for a reason. Make sure your diet and workouts are in check first

^that. I go in cycles where I'll drink Shakeology everyday for breakfast...and then cycles where I don't - as in, I'll maybe have a yogurt for bfast, but normally nothing (and I DO feel it when I don't drink it because my nutrition isn't as good...because I'm not a big veggie person...never have been....I'm much better than I used to be, but I still don't eat enough - quantity or variety). Shakeology is quick and easy for me. I know that I can just make breakfast with cereal or eggs or whatnot, but I also know me, and I know I don't DO that....I might for a couple of days, but the only thing I consistently have for breakfast is Shakeology - especially when I am getting up early and working out in the morning. I just figure the cost into my monthly grocery bill.

But to each his own, and Shakeology (or any supplement, really) will not be for everyone. :)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    It's an expensive low quality meal replacement shake. You would be better off buying protein powder and making your own delicious shakes.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It helped me the first months to get rid of my cravings (I still ate my goal of food though).

I stopped drinking them after a while because of the price and never noticed a difference.