How does exercise play into BMR and TDEE

Options
If my BMR is 1420 and my TDEE is 1700, then I can only create a 280 calorie deficit each day.

What if I eat 1420 calories throughout the day, but say I then exercise and burn 200 calories. Does this mean I have to eat another 200 calories to meet my BMR??

New to all of this, just trying to figure this out :)

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Your BMR does not change with exercise. Your TDEE does. If you calculated your TDEE to be 1700 while sedentary, then adding 200 calories would increase your TDEE to 1900 for the day. Your BMR stays the same (until your weight or age changes, of course).
  • cocopies
    Options
    Your BMR does not change with exercise. Your TDEE does. If you calculated your TDEE to be 1700 while sedentary, then adding 200 calories would increase your TDEE to 1900 for the day. Your BMR stays the same (until your weight or age changes, of course).

My question then, is those 200 calories would be supposedly subtracted from my BMR? Like if I ate 1400 then burned 200, wouldn't the net be 1200, so I would have to eat back those calories?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

My question then, is those 200 calories would be supposedly subtracted from my BMR? Like if I ate 1400 then burned 200, wouldn't the net be 1200, so I would have to eat back those calories?

if you're doing the TDEE method then your activity levels are already factored in to your calorie goals, so no, you wouldnt eat your exercise calories back. and why are you subtracting anything from the BMR? BMR doesnt factor into this
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I think you are talking about netting below your BMR. I'm not clear on whether someone should NET that low myself. I'm sure occasionally is fine, but I don't know if doing that daily is a bad idea or not.
  • indignantgnome
    indignantgnome Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You should not net below your BMR. Your BMR is the calorie level needed to keep you alive without any activity, at all. Your TDEE is flexible; your BMR is not.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, you should never eat below your BMR. BMR is the minimum amount of calories your body should eat daily in order for your organs/body to function normally. TDEE is the amount of energy (calories) your body burns a day, taking into account how active you are.
  • JauntyChapeau
    Options
    People eat under their BMR in order to lose weight all the time. My BMR is ~1830 and right now I'm eating 1700 calories a day to lose 10 pounds.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I think the whole "net BMR" thing is often misunderstood. If you eat 1500 calories, that's 1500 calories of nutrition. The value of the food is not taken away by burning more calories exercising. In my experience, if you eat a sufficient amt of calories, an increased deficit is not harmful for an overweight beginner. Most of the studies showing the negative effects of dieting have been done on VLCDs,not on people eating 1500 calls a day and burning 2500 or more.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from eating under your TDEE, also the more active you are, the higher your TDEE is.
  • cocopies
    Options
    I think the whole "net BMR" thing is often misunderstood. If you eat 1500 calories, that's 1500 calories of nutrition. The value of the food is not taken away by burning more calories exercising. In my experience, if you eat a sufficient amt of calories, an increased deficit is not harmful for an overweight beginner. Most of the studies showing the negative effects of dieting have been done on VLCDs,not on people eating 1500 calls a day and burning 2500 or more.

Thank you, this makes sense to me. I just wasn't sure if by burning calories, I would supposedly be netting UNDER my BMR, then would have to eat back those calories.