Starting HCG diet today

Options
I know I know I know.. some people don't like HCG. I lost 100 lbs in 2009.. from those 100 I have gained about 23 back. Yes, I ate whatever I wanted that's why I have gained, but throughout HCG I did learn how to eat better, be healthy, exercise, etc.

Today I'm starting one more round of HCG. My goal is to lose 25 lbs, although honestly I'd be happy with 20 and I can go back to working out and eating healthy to lose the rest.

I was just wondering if anyone will be starting HCG and we could compare stories or encourage each other! :)

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Nope. HCG is frowned upon here.

A moderate calorie deficit is all you need. No pills or injections.
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me I could go on HCG, and a lot of things are frowned upon here. Go and ask your doctor.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Doctors have minimal nutrition knowledge. Moderation with a deficit is all you need.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Just don't...
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    but throughout HCG I did learn how to eat better, be healthy, exercise, etc.

Apparently not because you gained 25lbs because you ate what you wanted.
  • Memorableheart
    Memorableheart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    LOL I just saw The Today's Show yesterday about HCG diet. They were talking about the company lied about the product and some people gained weight from it. I have also heard bad things about it. That it does not work.
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    so ive heard, bad idea! eat less=weigh less, work out=feel great
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    The hell? People do this?
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    It's a diet that is contrary to MFP, they will shut this down, I think. The people I have seen do this gain the weight back and then some....but maybe other people know of successes?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I know I know I know.. some people don't like HCG. I lost 100 lbs in 2009.. from those 100 I have gained about 23 back. Yes, I ate whatever I wanted that's why I have gained, but throughout HCG I did learn how to eat better, be healthy, exercise, etc.

Today I'm starting one more round of HCG. My goal is to lose 25 lbs, although honestly I'd be happy with 20 and I can go back to working out and eating healthy to lose the rest.

I was just wondering if anyone will be starting HCG and we could compare stories or encourage each other! :)

I feel sorry for you. Seriously get help.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    When you think about where HCG weight loss products come from, it’s no surprise that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently condemned the plan – calling it another health fraud scam. For those who haven’t heard of it, HCG stands for human chorionic gonadotropin. This is a hormone extracted from the placenta and urine of pregnant women.
    It’s only approved use is to treat infertility in women, but numerous companies sell HCG weight loss products online and over-the-counter, labeling them as “homeopathic.” Elizabeth Miller, of the FDA’s division for non-prescription drugs and health fraud stated, “These products are marketed with incredible claims and people think that if they’re losing weight, HCG must be working,” she adds, “But the data simply does not support this – any loss is from severe calorie restriction. Not from the HCG.”

http://fitnessguru-md.com/2013/03/fda-cautions-hcg-diet-dangers/

ETA: I'd fire your doctor too. What a bonehead. I've had docs nearly kill me with their ignorance & negligence. Don't let your docs think for you. They generally don't even know how to pronounce your name, and don't even read your chart before making recommendations.

In the United States, HCG weight loss products are now illegal. Since 2011, the FDA has been cautioning consumers to avoid these so-called homeopathic products that are sold as pellets, sprays, and oral drops. The federal agency also requires every product that is made with HCG to include the following information on the label:

“HCG has not been demonstrated to be effective adjunctive therapy in the treatment of obesity. There is no substantial evidence that it increases weight loss beyond that resulting from caloric restriction, that it causes a more attractive or ‘normal’ distribution of fat, or that it decreases the hunger and discomfort associated with calorie-restricted diets.”
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

Please don't

Please?
    Pretty please?
    With a cherry on top?

Bah, you're gonna do it anyway, regardless of what people tell you on here about how dangerous it is or the fact that it's technically illegal in the States to use as a weight loss tool (FDA condemnation)

So, in before the lock
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    The hell? People do this?

^^^^This. What the?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Please chuck that diet. You only have 25 pounds to lose. Eat at a moderate calorie deficit and it will come off.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options

This is what the sellers of this crap want you to believe. People resort back to diets that got them to lose weight, but NOT sustain it.
    Don't expect a lot of support here on it. Gimmicks and false advertising isn't how most people here choose to lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • michellemceachran
    michellemceachran Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi there just read your blog you are doing great well done. I have now been eating just below 1200 calories for 4 weeks and never lost a !lb, i have tried WW and slimming world do you think this could work for me i seem to be stuck my weight just wont move, any advice would be appreciated:smile: ?
    Michelle
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    My doctor told me I could go on HCG, and a lot of things are frowned upon here. Go and ask your doctor.
    How much weight do you have to lose? Why HCG instead of eating a good diet with a calorie deficit?
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Hi there just read your blog you are doing great well done. I have now been eating just below 1200 calories for 4 weeks and never lost a !lb, i have tried WW and slimming world do you think this could work for me i seem to be stuck my weight just wont move, any advice would be appreciated:smile: ?
    Michelle

And this is why this topic is going to get locked. Pretty sure the HCG diet is one of the things that can't be promoted since it entails VLCD.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Michelle
    Michelle, if you're not losing weight chances are you are eating too much by underestimating calories eaten and/or calories burned. Have you set up your profile in MFP and started logging food and exercise?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Michelle
    No. The FDA prohibits companies from marketing HCG for weight loss because there is no science to back up the claim. It has never been shown to impact weight loss. It is usually coupled with a dangerously low calorie intake, which is the main reason that people lose weight at all while on the drug. However, the calorie level is so low that it is in no way sustainable, and many people not only put the weight back on, but usually gain more.

Stop attempting different diets and eat at a moderate calorie deficit. Here's a good read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
This discussion has been closed.