Ladies looking to start lifting?

Options

Replies

• lea_sparkles
    lea_sparkles Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I just started NROLFW on Monday and have done 2 sessions so far. Just starting out but really enjoyed it so far.
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I believe in lifting over cardio. Not that cardio is bad, don't take it that way. You are going to love your body if you start lifting heavy. I've been doing all of the basic lifts for a year now and have decided to shake it up and now I'm following the New Rules of Lifting for Women. That is an excellent guide to help you find your way into lifting heavy. There is a New Rules of Lifting for Women group here at MFP. Maybe worth checking out. It could be a good avenue to help you find your way.

Now, go pick stuff up! :)
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I am reading the NRoL4W.....I'm in.
  • SweetPea_7
    SweetPea_7 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    dont be afraid of the other lifting groups! there are newbies on there too. when i started i lurked a lot, but i also learned a lot. if you friend people who already lift, you will learn more than just have a group of newbs (no offense).... just sayin.

friend me if you like. I LOVE lifting. i have completed NR4W and also NRAbs. I started Supercharged, and ive dabbled in SL5x5, but i have had to step away from it due to a screwy home life. Im picking up Kettlebell now, until i can get back under the squat rack.

look at joining the New rules for women group... the girls in there are really awesome and very helpful!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I suggest joining a group if you do not know what you are doing. Those ladies do and you will gain valuable knowledge reading the posts and will soon learn the lingo.

That's how I learnt. Groups are great - but how will you learn if everyone in your group is new to lifting?

I'd join a group and start a new thread for newbies starting out - best of both worlds :bigsmile:

Good luck with your lifting goals. I'm starting 5x5 this week - I highly recommend the book New Rules of Lifting for Women, even if you don't follow the programme it is full of information. :flowerforyou:

All of this
  • kirstenleo
    kirstenleo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would love to join in...started MFP 2 years ago...have lost 55 lbs so far...just started lifting more and would love the support...count me in
  • fattpantts23
    fattpantts23 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas! I've been doing Bodypump for six months, so looking to transition into "lifting" without the class. Now to find these books....
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I started NROLFW last week. I just did my 4th workout (Stage 1 B) this afternoon.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Just getting back into it, but yes.
  • michaelablueeyes
    michaelablueeyes Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Id love to start lifting, I really want to build up my body with proper good ol' muscle i dont think i'm a toning kinda girl..... Down side is i carnt get to the gym, my partners long wrking hours prevent me from been able to find the time and me been a full time mum.

Anyone got any advise on where to start with building muscle with no axcess to gym yet... you never know things could change :D
  • AmyWininger
    AmyWininger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I would love to! I've stopped for a couple of months and need to get back into it! :)
  • brujahqueen
    brujahqueen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm in, I've been looking forward to lifting.
  • a778c466
    a778c466 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I need to start lifting again, I like it a lot better than other exercises.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    IN. I regretably wasted my first month-and-half of empty-gym-all-to-myself with treadmill and yoga exlusively. now there are peeps around on the reg so i have to start learning free weights in front of the guize... :grumble: won't stop me. i just don't like being... visible.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Id love to start lifting, I really want to build up my body with proper good ol' muscle i dont think i'm a toning kinda girl..... Down side is i carnt get to the gym, my partners long wrking hours prevent me from been able to find the time and me been a full time mum.

Anyone got any advise on where to start with building muscle with no axcess to gym yet... you never know things could change :D

Check you You Are Your Own Gym, Convict Conditioning or other bodyweight strength resources (Nerd Fitness is a great website). There are also a lot of good Yoga routines that build strength, so don't discount them, either.

Bodyweight workouts are great for building strength, and anyone who tells you that you can't build strength with them doesn't know what they're talking about (seriously, if they think you can't, ask them to show you a ring muscle-up or a full planche).
  • megginanderson
    megginanderson Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I just started Body Beast this week - I LOVE IT!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

i know i don't have a uterus or anything, but i'm curious as to how this works. not to put too fine a point on it, but if you start a group for newbie lifters that's full of newbie lifters, who is going to give the good advice? how do you ask questions of a bunch of people that only have questions but no answers?

while i think the group is a good idea in theory, i think there are several lifting groups, including female centric groups, where you can get answers from a more experienced base. the "new rules of lifting for women" group is one such example.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

almost 7000 members strong, very active, and tons of threads full of answers to the questions that you have.
  • angelfish257
    angelfish257 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I really want to start lifting and could do with a beginner's group for support and advice :)
  • TLC7613
    TLC7613 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I just started a lifting class at my gym and I LOVE it.
    Not if I could only find a remedy to get rid of this sore feeling lol