Ladies looking to start lifting?

2»

Replies

• michaelablueeyes
    michaelablueeyes Posts: 38 Member
    Id love to start lifting, I really want to build up my body with proper good ol' muscle i dont think i'm a toning kinda girl..... Down side is i carnt get to the gym, my partners long wrking hours prevent me from been able to find the time and me been a full time mum.

Anyone got any advise on where to start with building muscle with no axcess to gym yet... you never know things could change :D
  • AmyWininger
    AmyWininger Posts: 150 Member
    I would love to! I've stopped for a couple of months and need to get back into it! :)
  • brujahqueen
    brujahqueen Posts: 29 Member
    I'm in, I've been looking forward to lifting.
  • a778c466
    a778c466 Posts: 141 Member
    I'm in! I need to start lifting again, I like it a lot better than other exercises.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    IN. I regretably wasted my first month-and-half of empty-gym-all-to-myself with treadmill and yoga exlusively. now there are peeps around on the reg so i have to start learning free weights in front of the guize... :grumble: won't stop me. i just don't like being... visible.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Id love to start lifting, I really want to build up my body with proper good ol' muscle i dont think i'm a toning kinda girl..... Down side is i carnt get to the gym, my partners long wrking hours prevent me from been able to find the time and me been a full time mum.

Anyone got any advise on where to start with building muscle with no axcess to gym yet... you never know things could change :D

Check you You Are Your Own Gym, Convict Conditioning or other bodyweight strength resources (Nerd Fitness is a great website). There are also a lot of good Yoga routines that build strength, so don't discount them, either.

Bodyweight workouts are great for building strength, and anyone who tells you that you can't build strength with them doesn't know what they're talking about (seriously, if they think you can't, ask them to show you a ring muscle-up or a full planche).
  • megginanderson
    megginanderson Posts: 276 Member
    I just started Body Beast this week - I LOVE IT!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

i know i don't have a uterus or anything, but i'm curious as to how this works. not to put too fine a point on it, but if you start a group for newbie lifters that's full of newbie lifters, who is going to give the good advice? how do you ask questions of a bunch of people that only have questions but no answers?

while i think the group is a good idea in theory, i think there are several lifting groups, including female centric groups, where you can get answers from a more experienced base. the "new rules of lifting for women" group is one such example.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

almost 7000 members strong, very active, and tons of threads full of answers to the questions that you have.
  • angelfish257
    angelfish257 Posts: 81 Member
    Count me in! I really want to start lifting and could do with a beginner's group for support and advice :)
  • TLC7613
    TLC7613 Posts: 86 Member
    I just started a lifting class at my gym and I LOVE it.
    Not if I could only find a remedy to get rid of this sore feeling lol
  • me too, starting in Feb!
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Totally in for bulky womenz!
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    I am interested!
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    I have been strength training since I was about 14 (for swimming) and always do it at the gym when I go. My problem is the nutrition end. I'm tired of looking like a tank: 5'11" almost 200lbs. Ugh. The cardio just ain't doing enough and the weights are just...well...adding weight. If I remove the layer of insulation, I believe I will find a serious badass underneath.
  • enchromaticc
    enchromaticc Posts: 33 Member
    I'm in! I've only started my weight-loss journey, and I have no experience with lifting, but it seems great! I honestly am looking forward to starting it, and I hope we all get great information from this group! :)
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    About one week in to NROLFW and loving it! I'm so in.
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Count me in. I have done some lifting but no expert at all and would love to belong to a support group of women looking to start lifting.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    I just recently started a heavy dumbbell lifting program at home. But most of 2012 was spent in a gym with barbell training, stronglifts. I don't know if I fit the profile. :tongue:
  • Hi, welcome. I'm a lady who lifts. For what it's worth, I learned A TON from the Eat, Train, Progress group. I read every single sticky they put up, they are all filled with very informative posts. Whether you start a new group or not, everyone would benefit from ETP those people know their stuff. Good luck, have fun. :drinker:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member

i know i don't have a uterus or anything, but i'm curious as to how this works. not to put too fine a point on it, but if you start a group for newbie lifters that's full of newbie lifters, who is going to give the good advice? how do you ask questions of a bunch of people that only have questions but no answers?

while i think the group is a good idea in theory, i think there are several lifting groups, including female centric groups, where you can get answers from a more experienced base. the "new rules of lifting for women" group is one such example.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

almost 7000 members strong, very active, and tons of threads full of answers to the questions that you have.

This group is also very helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • rexroars
    rexroars Posts: 131 Member
    I would absolutely love to join a group like this!!!

I don't even know where to start with lifting. I want to do something that is effective and actually makes me build a bit of muscle, but I feel so lost.
  • GMotY
    GMotY Posts: 3
    Good for you! If you're looking for lifting ideas, the best website I've found is bodybuilding.com. Here's a link that will allow you to choose what muscle group you'd like to work on for the day: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbmaintrain.htm (just scroll down and click on a muscle group). This website also offers some guides that you can modify for training.

For instance, I'm a guy who started using one of their programs back in October or so. My squat has gone up about 100 pounds since I started that program.
  • yes! I also just started lifting