new year, new meh.

Options
Hey everyone.

I was thinking that this is the first time I've started a weight loss program and not felt totally enthusiastic. This may benefit me, though. Instead of rushing into it with gusto (which will wane), I'm just accepting it as a new part of my life. It's only been 9 days, but I've done really well and lost a few pounds. I'm doing 1500 calories with light exercise, so I've not been terribly hungry or miserable.

The problem is, like many, I'm a stress eater. And I'm always stressed out. I'm a full time graduate student, I work, and I have a lot of responsibility at home. I'm worried that when the semester starts next week I will revert back to chinese food lunches and scavenging sweets in the office. It was grad school that brought on weight gain--45lbs in a year!

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello. I think keeping up with boards will help me stay motivated. I've been lurking for a bit, and I have to say you guys are very inspirational.

current goal: 25lbs
bigger goal: 50lbs
bigger(er) goal: 75lbs
ultimate goal: 100lbs

Replies

• enchromaticc
    enchromaticc Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    HELLO THERE! I'm not too new here, though my weight loss journey is. How are you? You are free to send me a request, if you want. You seem pretty rad, and I think that's awesome that you've lost some weight already! Keep it up :)
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi there!

I am worried about going back to bad habits when I go back to Uni too, so I think the best way to go about it is plan your meals and snacks and have them with you when you're out and about.

I am going to do this because otherwise I will be eating the junk they have in the Uni shop and going to greggs instead of having something healthy.

Feel free to add me if you want :) The support of others going through similar goals to you on here is great.

Good luck!
  • kristenonly
    kristenonly Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When you get hungry, have something ready to snack on that isn't junk food. Fruit, nuts (in moderation) and things of that nature.
    Also, when you're feeling like giving up, log in, reach out or just read some posts...that's how I stay motivated.
    I'm a stress eater too. I'm having to learn a whole new way of eating.
    Good luck! You can do this!
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the forums.

As a fellow stress-eater, I know where you're coming from. One thing to keep in mind though - don't worry about what you've done in the past, (remember it, but don't worry about it.)

You're not the same person you were then.

By simply deciding to make some changes in your life, the first thing that changed was yourself! :drinker:
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. This place has helped me already in the past 9 days. I've added some friends and that has really helped. When I see in the news feed that they burned <number> of calories doing <exercise> for <minutes>, it always gets me motivated.
    Feel free to send me a request if you'd like
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    BE prepared.... pack healthy snacks and take them with. save calories and money. Win, win!
  • blkericia
    blkericia Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    hello it seem like you already know whats a head of you, that is a good start, before trying the easy way (take out food)
    make it yourself before and it will be already for you,
    if you cook for others then the best thing to do is have a snack before cooking others food, you will mostly not taste the food your cooking.also try to take care of yourself more like taking a day off from others unless you have kids, if you can do this and have a relaxing day once a week the risk of stress eating lessens,.

i am a big stress eater and the past 3 years my gains were do to stress eating, but if you learn from the triggers you can overcome it.
    add me i am a big supporter! =D
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Howdy Penny; love the name. These days we have "pulp novels" or "chick lit". Were folks more creative back then?

In any event - your approach sounds very realistic. Your calorie goal is probably realistic, you don't have nutty expectations; you have the potential for enduring success.

It isn't exciting or sexy or BIG RESULTS NOW!

But it works; eating that calorie deficit is the only thing that reliably works, other than liposuction or horrible, limb-severing accidents.

Play with your approach as you go to find the best mix of foods and meal timing that provides you satiety throughout the day. MFP underestimates how much protein you should be eating so aim high in that macro.

Take candid before pictures. As naked as you feel comfortable committing to film. Lock them in a drawer or whatever, but one day, maybe six months from now, you're going to have a bad day. You're going to feel like you're not making any progress. You'll pull out those photos and your jaw will drop; you will be proud; you will be able to go on.

Take your measurements; around the waist, the neck, thighs, and arms. The scale might not move but that doesn't mean you won't be making progress.

I look forward to your "success stories" thread.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Stress causes me to eat too, and I find myself less than enthused right now. I thought i'd be all gung ho when New Year's hit being a resolutioner at heart, but yeah, no. I feel regular. And yet I'm plugging along nonetheless.

If you wanna be "Way to---whatevs" , and "Woot, woo--oh screw it IDGAF" buddies, drop me a FR. Or not. I don't really care. :wink:
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Stress causes me to eat too, and I find myself less than enthused right now. I thought i'd be all gung ho when New Year's hit being a resolutioner at heart, but yeah, no. I feel regular. And yet I'm plugging along nonetheless.

If you wanna be "Way to---whatevs" , and "Woot, woo--oh screw it IDGAF" buddies, drop me a FR. Or not. I don't really care. :wink:

^^ she's too cool to legitimately offer her hand in friendship so she has to feign being blase. :laugh:
  • riginthering
    Options
    I don't eat so much when I'm stressed as when I'm breathing. I was raised to be very defensive of my food, and nothing fills a bored spot like grabbing a bite somewhere with a friend. Sites like this really help me keep conscious of what I'm putting into my body.
  • knharris494
    Options
    Hi there! I'm also a college student. I'm just starting my last year of undergrad next week! I also am afraid that my school and work schedules will send me right back to my fast food. If you need some encouragement, feel free to add me! :) This is the second time I have tried to stick with a diet and exercise plan after the new year. I am hoping that this time it really sticks and that I can finally drop this weight! My boyfriend and I both have gotten lazy, fat, and comfortable with each other so it was time for a change! Like I said, feel free to add me. I could always use someone there to push me too.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Penny, I agree - "just making the change and it's no big deal" will probably serve you well. Ive been a stress eater most of my life, but these days I seem to be more of a stress walker or a stress lifter. Exercise, even mild exercise, can be a great way to clear your head. Good luck with grad school and with your weight loss plan!