Anyone in Arizona? Here's my story.

Options
ftloy
ftloy Posts: 132 Member
Hey, everyone!

Whilst I am new to MFP, I can't say that I'm very new to these types of communities as I've bounced in and out of a few before landing here today.

I've had weight issues for as far back as I can remember. After being a blob for the majority of my life, I eventually hit absolute rock bottom in my late teens and waged war against myself and gloriously won -- I [healthily] lost 100lbs in the span of about 1 year and actually maintained that loss for approximately 4 years. Unfortunately, I got married and life happened and I eventually gained all of the weight back.

I'm now no longer in my late teens, I'm very much not married anymore, and I think I have hit rock bottom again. Sadly, I know what I NEED to do, it's just a matter of actually doing it. As much as I'd like to tell myself that I have some kind of physiological reason for not being able to lose weight, I can't do that, at least not if I want to be honest with myself. The harsh truth is that I am in a rut, in more ways than just my weight, and I'm lazy.

Well, I'm about done with feeling sick, tired, and emotionally trashed all the time from being obese. When I lost weight the first go-around, I did it in a slightly fascist way with regard to my calories and exercise: 1,200 calories per day plus 45 minutes of exercise per day, 7 days a week. I was able to maintain that pattern at the time, mostly because I didn't have adult-related responsibilities (i.e., a job and bills to pay).

I've tried a few times since then, successfully, to lose weight by counting calories, but that method just seems so damned tedious to me to maintain for the rest of my life. Therefore, I have decided to go Paleo / Keto -- as much as I despise labels or identifying with a specific diet or lifestyle, I kind of need to as a reference point. Anyhow, I'm hoping to meet like-minded people to hopefully help keep me accountable.

When I get something in my head, it's not uncommon for me to hit it fast and hard, which inevitably leads me to fizzling out soon after. With that, I intend on starting slow and ramping myself up to get where I want to be. If anyone wants to go on this ride with me, even if you're not in Arizona, please don't hesitate to let me know. Hell, maybe a new friendship or 2 will come from it ... stranger things have happened, yeah?

Replies

• ftloy
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and good luck! :happy:

Sorry, but my post was feeling a bit lonely. :laugh:
  • fluttershy2102
    Options
    Good luck!
    I'm in AZ too.. taking advantage of this lovely time of year before the crazy summer hits and I stay indoors :P
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I grew up in AZ!! Love it... but I love my ocean more.

Welcome to MFP - best of luck to you!!!
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    you made me laugh with your second post lol. Welcome to MFP. I am in AZ too - aren't we lucky?!?

Take things a day at a time. It actually takes 5 YEARS for a habit to become a lifestyle. Change is HARD and old habits require constant mental attention to change the auto-pilot thoughts that lead to unhealthy choices. The mind is a funny thing huh?? It seeks to sooth and the easy path is the most soothing path. You can change if you really want to. Just be nice to yourself!

This site is all about counting calories! I advise you to do it - it forces these lazy minds of ours to SEE what we eat and be accountable for it. Try it for a while. Once you log it becomes faster and less tedious.
  • katemckenna5
    katemckenna5 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love that you replied to your own post... made me smile. Good luck with everything and feel free to add me. I'm on the app every day logging so I'm always around with a comment or smart *kitten* remark. :)

-Kate
  • raileneperkins
    raileneperkins Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am in AZ as well. I recently woke up to the fact that I had gained way too much weight over the past few years. I am a stay at home Mom and have been for over 5 years now. You would think that means running all over all the time but honestly it has been the most sedentary time of my life. My youngest is more of a read books and play computer games type as well as being incredibly pale, so the sun is not her favorite by any means.
    I am currently on a 1210 calorie per day with 6 days of working out. Starting with 15-20 minute elliptical and then various weights and crunches, plank, squats etc... My BF in Wyoming was supposed to get in gear with me because she is marrying in Aug but so far no go. Hoping to find someone to compare day to day with that is dedicated and willing to help with encouragement. Would be happy to be in contact on MFP if you like. Share the journey.
  • 1julietax
    1julietax Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    AZ here too....Must be something in the air today. I'm feeling overwhelmed too......Trying to get back in the groove but finding it very hard. Had a bad accident last year and it really derailed my progress. Before then I was on MFP for 6 months and had lost 60 pounds, 30 of which I've gained back....I was in the hospital for a few weeks unable to walk and am recovering from a broken back. While I'm working out a bit, too much will do me in. So it's slow and steady for me. : ) A recent visit to the doctor freaked me out as my blood pressure and cholesterol are both high...I really NEED to get something done. So here I am...looking for friends to work with/motivate each other.....Glad to see some AZ folks here.....
  • ftloy
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! My post is starting to feel the love! :smile: :laugh: Hopefully we can all work together and support each other to reach our goals and perhaps share a few cyber laughs along the way.
  • nebrasch
    nebrasch Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey, I too am in AZ. I know what its like to work to juggle adult responsibilities and keep in shape. I just got a new job and I am struggling to exercise every day. I have gotten back on the calorie counting and I feel great. Feel free to add me. I am always willing to message and respond to posts !
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Welcome! AZ is the outdoor lovers play ground especially this time of the year. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • kimfelice
    kimfelice Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm also in AZ and can relate to so many things you said in your post. I have no excuses either but I've decided to make 2014 the year I take control. My job normally has me traveling all the time and I would eat fast food and sit in my hotel room. Luckily the travel has slowed down and I'm able to be home and cook and join a fitness class.

Cheers to 2014 and all of us getting healthier....and not being those lazy blobs we've been so far.:smile:
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I'm in PA so not close to you....is it warm there? Sorry it was like -25 the past few days so I'm craving a little normal temps LOL! Anyways back on topic.....it can be very hard when life gets in the way and sometimes you have to stop and reevaluate. Glad to hear you are giving this another go. Sounds like you have a plan in mind that should work for your "gung ho" attitude. Feel free to add me. Best of luck with your journey!!
  • alvgon85
    alvgon85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in AZ too, and am on a mission to a better me as well. I've been off and on MFP for some time and I hope that this time it sticks. I have been so lazy these past few years that I didn't want to do anything and didn't pay too much attention to what I was eating. my weight has gone up and my self Love has gone down. I just started to really look at what I eat and workout at least 30 min a day. Hoping to see if anyone wants to join me. Good luck on your journey!
  • tinamariecleg
    tinamariecleg Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Welcome, not in AZ, but definitely understand the need to have something strict to stay on track. Good luck!
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Born and raised in Phoenix, also lived in Tempe and Chandler. Now I'm in Pacific Beach, San Diego :) Love both!

Feel free to request me!!
  • adsyron
    adsyron Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have found that making drastic, sweeping changes never work for me. I'm making one healthier decision at a time. I log every single thing, no matter how gross it is for me. I refuse to stop living! So when we took the girls to have cupcakes yesterday, I only ate a half. When we went to Wendy's today for lunch, I got the grilled chicken sandwich. One healthier decision at a time is my new motto. I feel better and have more energy and I've only been at this for four days! No joke. I keep waiting for myself to fall off the wagon, but so far, so good.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I'm SO not in AZ and sad about that right now. I'm in MI and Frrreeeezing.

Welcome back on the journey of finding you, and keeping it that way!