Protein?!

Options
Hey, everyone! I'm pretty much a noob at understanding things about protein shakes and muscle mass and etc. but lately, I found two protein mixes that were supposed to help you gain muscle mass and burn fat faster: whey isolate and casein. I'm currently training for 5k's and for tennis season. I run often and I'm pretty active anyways. Any advice about it and any information I should know? My food diary is open to anyone, and if looking there helps you answer, then so be it! I don't work out at night. I usually train at about 130-245 for 5 out of 7 days. Please help!

EDITED:
Hey! I'm replying to your post because I know you're worried about my calorie intake. During my whole life, I haven't been able to eat very much at any meal at any given day. Also, I'm currently on a medication that takes even more of my hunger away. I want to use the shakes to help add protein and calories to my diet. By the time I finish a cheese stick or an egg, I feel extremely stuffed and nasty. I force myself to eat two just about every morning but I haven't boiled any lately and I've been on a messed up sleeping schedule because of the holiday break and my medication. Please don't worry too much! I'm just trying to find better ways to help my body. I'm also taking multiple vitamins to help with the low calorie deficiency. I don't want something to take the fat away, I want to help myself. Also, I frequently cheat and am too embarrassed to post the candy I eat after dinner.

Replies

• OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I run 5 miles 5-7x per week. When I get back in I drink a protein shake within 20 minutes (whey / dairy) with skim milk. It really does aid in muscle recovery.

My husband uses a shake as a meal replacement in the morning and he has lost almost 40lbs.
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Um, is your diary complete for the last few days/week? Because eating 350-500 calories a day is NOT safe or healthy, especially if you are training for 5K's or tennis or, you know, anything. Are you looking to add protein shakes to bring your calories up where they should be, or are you planning on maintaining this dangerously low intake with protein shakes? Even medically supervised ultra-low calorie diets don't go this low- are you medically supervised? That is an alarmingly low number of calories unless you are only logging part of your food.

Sorry to not be able to answer your question, and not being mean about it, but this likely needs clarification first.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can't gain muscle mass at a deficit. The best you can do is try to preserve it by eating enough protein (ideally, 0.7-0.8g of protein per pound) and doing some strength training. By doing only cardio and starving yourself, you will probably burn your muscle.

ETA: protein mixes just add protein to your diet. They don't build muscle nor burn fat faster. There is no such miracle product, unfortunately.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Um, is your diary complete for the last few days/week? Because eating 350-500 calories a day is NOT safe or healthy, especially if you are training for 5K's or tennis or, you know, anything. Are you looking to add protein shakes to bring your calories up where they should be, or are you planning on maintaining this dangerously low intake with protein shakes? Even medically supervised ultra-low calorie diets don't go this low- are you medically supervised?

Sorry to not be able to answer your question, but this likely needs clarification first.

^All of this.

You are undereating and have been for a while now. I went back to Dec 12th in your diary and there is not one single day logged over 1200 calories. 1200 is considered the minimum for a sedentary woman for a reason. It is very hard, if not downright impossible, to get enough nutrients for your body at the levels you're eating.

Not only are you harming your body now, but you are setting it up for a major bounce when you reach your goals and try to maintain.

Additionally, you're not going to have to worry about building muscle at your current intake. It won't happen.
  • Polarsnow
    Options
    Edited (:
    Thanks so much for your concen and I value it highly!
  • Polarsnow
    Options
    Edited! More info included!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Hey, everyone! I'm pretty much a noob at understanding things about protein shakes and muscle mass and etc. but lately, I found two protein mixes that were supposed to help you gain muscle mass and burn fat faster: whey isolate and casein. I'm currently training for 5k's and for tennis season. I run often and I'm pretty active anyways. Any advice about it and any information I should know? My food diary is open to anyone, and if looking there helps you answer, then so be it! I don't work out at night. I usually train at about 130-245 for 5 out of 7 days. Please help!

EDITED:
    Hey! I'm replying to your post because I know you're worried about my calorie intake. During my whole life, I haven't been able to eat very much at any meal at any given day. Also, I'm currently on a medication that takes even more of my hunger away. I want to use the shakes to help add protein and calories to my diet. By the time I finish a cheese stick or an egg, I feel extremely stuffed and nasty. I force myself to eat two just about every morning but I haven't boiled any lately and I've been on a messed up sleeping schedule because of the holiday break and my medication. Please don't worry too much! I'm just trying to find better ways to help my body. I'm also taking multiple vitamins to help with the low calorie deficiency. I don't want something to take the fat away, I want to help myself. Also, I frequently cheat and am too embarrassed to post the candy I eat after dinner.

In light of your edit, yes a protein shake would probably help you get more calories, depending on your condition and how well they sit with your stomach. There are a lot of different brands out there and you can mix and match things to your own liking by adding fruits, veggies, yogurt, ice cream, etc. to them. I don't have any particular experience with this brand, so I'm afraid I can't help you there.
  • Gonzafitness
    Options
    Before anything else you are going to have to take about 6 months to a year to fix your metabolism (if you have been only eating about 500 cals for so long)
    You will not lose ANY sustainable weight with a jacked up metabolism. Starting eating more, even if it makes you sick. Your body is not used to eating food so it will try to reject it. Start by eating 200 more calories than you already consume and go up another 200 every other week until you are at an appropriate amount. You WILL gain weight! this is temporary and part of the metabolic healing process. Once you are at a reasonable calorie level for about 6 months, you can then diet like the rest of us.
    Until then, your body thinks that there is nothing to lose. Your body will hold on to every oz of fat because it thinks you're dying with only 500 cals a day. And your body's job is to let you live as long as possible.

Step #1: Stop cardio. You dont need to burn anything right now. your body needs to understand that it will get nutrition on a daily bases from now on.

Step #2: incrementally add 200 calories every two weeks. Shakes will help.

Step #3: once you are at a sustainable caloric intake, stop increasing calories and stay constant for about 6 months. This will let your metabolism adjust to your new eating patterns.

Step #4: Cut back calories by 200 at a time and SLOWLY lose the weight.

Step#5: when you hit a plateau, add cardio

Step #6: when you hit your next plateau, drop another 200 calories

Step #7: REPEAT #5-#6

Step #8: you are now sexy, congratulations.

I promise you, until you fix your metabolism you will not lose weight.