How can 60 minutes on a treadmill burn 853 calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• cedman1
    cedman1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Entirely possible and depends on your amount of work output and incline during the time period.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, one's weight, age and intensity during the work-out are important factors.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh? How fast do you run?

I only burn about 90 calories per mile. Someone twice my weight would burn a lot more.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator

^I use this to get a vague idea since the treadmills are so very inaccurate.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    853 in an hour is pretty doubtful, but without your stats and more info, it's impossible to guess.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    It is impossible to say...way more information would be needed than you provided...which is also why data base calorie burns are notoriously inaccurate. There are just way too many variables involved to just go into a database and say I did X for 60 minutes and I weight Y....way more variables than that at play.

Also, if your rather unfit then your perceived level of effort is going to be skewed...because lack of fitness makes everything seem "vigorous" and intense. So people will say "vigorous effort" in a database not understanding that the database or calculator is assuming you're already at a relatively good level of aerobic fitness...so when you say "vigorous effort" for your 30 minute swim, the calculator is shooting back Michael Phelps type of calorie burns.

In general it is rather difficult to burn more than 10 calories per minute...that's working pretty hard. For the same level of effort you may burn a few more calories per minute if you're substantially overweight or a few calories less if you're lighter. When I was doing this, I seriously questioned anything greater than 10 calories per minute...for me that was equivalent to running about 6 MPH and I knew what that felt like...so if I didn't feel that level of effort with something else, I knew I wasn't burning that much or more than about 10 calories per minute.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I think that is totally reasonable, I can burn about 15 calories a minute running 8 minute miles, as measured by my HR monitor. This is ballpark what the treadmill estimates when I enter my age and weight during setup.

I'm more concerned about friends who credit themselves with this type of burn walking their dogs or cleaning the house!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    So I plug in treadmill and I get stair-treadmill ergometer, general... 60 minutes gives 853 calories. That is a huge amount...could this be right?

Instead of plugging in a machine, type in the activity you did. Was it "run", "walk", "jog"? Pick the right activity and speed to get a better estimate, though still probably wont be right, but much better than what you did.

I don't know about you but I have never treadmill before, I have run, walked and jogged on a treadmill but no idea what exercise tread-milling would be (yes being sarcastic here)
  • christinemadden0223
    christinemadden0223 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Depends what you're doing. Like the others said, use a HRM. My elliptical at gome says I burn 800 cals in 45 minutes- the one at the gym says 460. My HRM generally says about 520-560 depending on my intensity that day. I go by the HRM (though I would LIKE to think 800 =) )
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Depends what you're doing. Like the others said, use a HRM. My elliptical at gome says I burn 800 cals in 45 minutes- the one at the gym says 460. My HRM generally says about 520-560 depending on my intensity that day. I go by the HRM (though I would LIKE to think 800 =) )

I somewhat agree, except that I would point out that treadmills are much more accurate than an elliptical as the equation for work performed (METs) is pretty standard and studied. The motion, etc on an elliptical makes it much harder to figure out the amount of work being performed. So in your case I would say HRM is more accurate than the elliptical machine, when it comes to treadmills, most of them will actually be better than a HRM due to the equation of acutal work done, vs. the HRM making assumptions on how much work was done.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I have to really push to burn 10 calories a minute. If not wearing a heart rate monitor I just guess off that, usually guessing low.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    If ur depending on the the cals burnt by the TM reading, make sure you use a mode where it asks you for your sex (M or F), age, and weight. Otherwise it assumes you are a 25 male weighing 150 lbs. Usually, the manual workouts on the TM will ask you for that info.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    A stair treadmill is not the same thing as a treadmill; it's a stairclimber / stepmill (like a mini flight of stairs), rather than a flat belt that runs at whatever incline you set. So, assuming you were on a treadmill, as others have suggested, you should select "walking" or "running" based on whatever speed you were going and use that estimate from the MFP database, or use an estimate for running or walking from elsewhere (e.g., Runner's World).

But a stair treadmill ergometer is not a treadmill, so that will be off in terms of its estimate, I'd expect... they're just different pieces of equipment.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Instead of treadmill, look up walking. There are a lot of listings for different paces. Find the one that most closely matches what you did and go with that. MFP listings for calorie burn tend to overestimate so keep that in mind - plan to eat back somewhere between 50 and 75%.
  • JauntyChapeau
    Options
    This is easily achievable, as long as you're running at a fast enough pace and weigh enough. If I run for 45 minutes at an average of 6 mph, I burn around 650 calories. This number has been roughly the same on every treadmill and online calculator I use. This is why it's better to run at a moderate pace for a longer time than really, really fast for 10 minutes. Unless you're purposefully doing HIIT or something, the longer you run the more calories you'll burn.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    In general it is rather difficult to burn more than 10 calories per minute...that's working pretty hard. For the same level of effort you may burn a few more calories per minute if you're substantially overweight or a few calories less if you're lighter. When I was doing this, I seriously questioned anything greater than 10 calories per minute...for me that was equivalent to running about 6 MPH and I knew what that felt like...so if I didn't feel that level of effort with something else, I knew I wasn't burning that much or more than about 10 calories per minute.

You deserve a VO2max test for so many reasons.

Because I'll bet you'd be shocked how much you actually burn per min.
    Per my test, I'm burning 10 cal/min down below the recovery HR zone, which is 61% of tested HRmax. At top of aerobic HR zone 81% of HRmax, I'm burning 17.8 cal/min, and I can be there for a long while.

Now being fit just means I'm hitting that burn at lower HR, but still I'm betting most would be surprised it's not that hard to hit 15 cal/min.
  • LouSmorals
    LouSmorals Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb is 100 calories/mile run. So if you ran 8 miles in an hour that is not impossible. A darn good clip but I know several that could do that (unfortunately not me)