Tailbone pain after weight loss..

Options
2»

Replies

• RonW956
    RonW956 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I know this is an older post but I just found it now and I have a similar issue.

I just lost 42lbs in 6 months and whenever I sit down in my car, on the sofa, in the chair Im in now typing this, I can feel my tailbone. It doesnt hurt, just feels funky.... I imagine it will take longer to "rebuild" my body & build some muscle. I never worked out before during my weight loss until after I dropped under 180, Im 168 now. I guess had I worked out along with the weight loss maybe I wouldnt be feeling my tailbone so much...
  • pbrahan
    pbrahan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES. I actually Googled "tailbone pain weight loss" and found your post. I've been using MFP and have lost 53lbs since June of 2013. I have significant tailbone discomfort. My husband, a physician, says to take Aleve twice daily and probably for 2 months. He says painful tail ones take MONTHS to feel normal again.

I feel it most when I'm relaxing in a reclined position such as watching tv leaning back on pillows or propped in bed reading. Every time I feel the pain I am more amazed at how fat I must have been to NOT be aware of my tailbone!!

Sincerely,

No longer a whale tail.
  • pbrahan
    Options
    I know this is an older post but I just found it now and I have a similar issue.

I just lost 42lbs in 6 months and whenever I sit down in my car, on the sofa, in the chair Im in now typing this, I can feel my tailbone. It doesnt hurt, just feels funky.... I imagine it will take longer to "rebuild" my body & build some muscle. I never worked out before during my weight loss until after I dropped under 180, Im 168 now. I guess had I worked out along with the weight loss maybe I wouldnt be feeling my tailbone so much...

Nope. I started a workout regimen at the beginning and am more muscular than I've ever been and still have the problem. It's loss of the fat pad.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    pilonidal cyst

Google this. I do not believe in a higher power, but I pray none of you have to go through this.

^^^^---- THIS! I had "excision with open healing" in 2006. I wouldn't wish it on someone that I truly despised.
  • pbrahan
    Options
    This can be a totally unrelated coincidence. Fat people and thin people can experience this. Either you have a cyst or you don't. You can have them your entire life with no problems or they can become inflamed and cause an abscess which requires surgery.

If you have tailbone pain and press at the tip of the tailbone and this is where your pain is, especially after significant weight loss, it's probably not related the pilonidal cyst, which you may or may not have.
  • littlelou374
    Options
    I've had this. I would absolutely recommend Miracle Cushion (and for sciatica as well), even though they are a bit pricey. It's a special type of gel. Check it out: miraclecushion.com

Also, you can talk to your doctor about an injection into your tailbone. It's pretty uncomfortable for a few minutes...but it might help for several months.
  • komilsharma
    Options
    i haven't lost much weight post my 4 month course on decdak steroids along with the intense 6 week radiotherapy to treat my tumors and help the facial palsy resultant of the one in my ear and neck. But i did manage to come down from62 kg to 54 and gained much of muscle and bone power in the last 6 months...

In June i went through the radiotherapy with a dose of excessive steroids to salvage my face, and my bones refused to support my weight while going up and down the stairs or even walking..

Now i am sure 62 kg don't sound much but being a dancer all my life.. it was a weight very hard for me to manage.. especially with the weakening bones underneath, and then i spent the best 5000 bucks of my life.. i mean Rs. 5000/-. I bought i bicycle.. plain and simple no gears no shockers.. Just like the one in used to ride when i was a child.. cause in the good old days.. there was not much of an option, here in this country. I would like to mention that i am 28 just for the reference.

So in the last 6 months i lost 8 kg, the hardest weight loss in my life. I would like to mention, i one went down from 56 to 38, but i was young and had the strength to do it all back when i was 20.But this time it wasn't just the weight loss, i came from barely climbing the stairs to riding my bicycle all up and swingy for an hour at least 5 days a week. Naturally, the tailbone had to hit me..

Well being a dancer i haven't really had a very strong tailbone since i have always tried to defy the limitations it set me too.. but loosing weight sure does **** things up. Mostly because of the muscles around the tailbone. If you have a fat lump around the tailbone, it would cushion it.. but not all slim people have issues with their tailbones.

It is so because the muscles around the tailbone need to be strong and developed. When you are fat that is not possible, and while you loose the extra fat around your tailbone, it takes time for the left over muscles to get strong enough to support the tailbone without the fatty cushion we are so used too.

So give it time, and if you are young, don't give up on your exercise because of it. The more persistent you are, the better your situation will be with time and the healthier it is for you. If you are old, i would suggest, relax a bit and cut on your diet to not gain back the extra fat around it. That's the worst punishment.
  • luca15306
    luca15306 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I found this post during a google search for 'coccyx pain, weight loss' have lost 50lbs and recently have been experiencing a bad tailbone pain, I sit all day at a desk at work, drive to and from work for an hour each and then sit in the evening, the pain happens after I have been sitting for a while....is this due to the reduction in padding from weight loss?
    What can be done to help this pain, I don't do much exercise anymore, was just quite worried about the pain as you never know what it could be especially with your back..
  • killervogel5
    killervogel5 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Having the same issue. Pain both at the base of my spine around the tailbone and near my pelvis beneath my bottom. If I'm not the only one, then that's got to be it. I haven't changed anything else (as if changing your entire lifestyle to lose 150+ lbs is no big deal, right?). Posture change helps me temporarily, and I'm hoping to get the mild muscle swelling, etc., to go down using NSAIDs and the like. My couch is too low, and I can't just "sit back and relax" anymore. I have to sit up straight, which usually means a pillow under my butt and another behind my back. Keeps me temporarily in line, at least. I use a donut pillow at work, but I don't sit right on it: I sit forward on my chair and let my tailbone hang over the back of the cushion without touching anything. It takes the pressure off and helps the swelling to subside. In this way I hope to heal - and I know it takes time. I guess this is why the skinny people are never comfortable sitting still for lengthy periods of time and always have to get up and move around.
  • janicewalters63
    Options
    I had broken my tailbone twice years ago. I pretty much maintain my weight about 1:10. Recently I've been under a lot of stress and I now weigh 94 lbs. I have a stick shift car or manual and I thought at first that maybe that was aggravating it but it didn't 5 years ago when I got it. I have just recently noticed excruciating tailbone pain and blaming it on the car but now I'm thinking it's weight loss. I've tried a couple questions without success the only thing that helps is pain pills and or laying on my side and very short drives no longer than 20 minutes one way. Would love to hear other people suggestions
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    15mg of meloxicam daily. But that is because I have degenerative osteoarthritis in my coccyx.
    THE to is pointed 70 degrees forward from normal. Icy steps did me in over a decade ago.