Protein Shakes for weight loss

Options
I'm using protein shakes as meal replacements. I'm having a hard time gagging them down though....they taste horrible!!! Any advice or recipes that would help?

Replies

• katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Don't drink it? Try a chunk of chicken or a protein bar or a tablespoon of pb.

so many ways to get protein, stupid to try and choke down something you don't like.
  • drfletcher25k
    drfletcher25k Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try Shakeology. Really tasty (at least the vegan ones) and all kinds of good stuff in them... You can message Kristi at themountainsun on here for info
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to eat real food instead of meal replacements... but if you're going to stick to protein shakes, try making them into a smoothie (adding frozen fruit, a banana, chocolate syrup) to be able to stomach them. Also they usually taste better with milk rather than water. I frequently use protein shakes as a way to supplement my diet, but usually only use half a serving so I can eat real food too.
  • juiletflt
    juiletflt Posts: 159
    Options
    I have a hard time hitting my protein macro without protein powder. There is only so much chicken I can eat in one day!

Sometimes I will get plain greek yogurt and mix in half a scoop of protein powder.

Sometimes I get out my blender and mix a scoop of protein powder with milk and ice.... I generally use the chocolate powder and will also add a spoonful or peanut butter. Mmmmmmm... chocolate peanut butter shake!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Eat something else? Drink a different shake? I've never had a "horrible" protein shake (nor would I try to choke one down), so I don't know what else to tell you.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion - shakeology is expensive and a waste of money. Look on e-bay and have a look. I picked up USN Diet Fuel which I mix with matrix anabolic. loads of protein, cheap and it doesn't destroy my taste buds :-)
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Protein shakes are not intended to be meal replacements--they lack essential vitamins and nutrients. They are to be used as a supplement along with eating normal meals.

Some good recipes...ALWAYS start with milk (just my personal preference...I won't touch a protein shake with a 10 foot pole if it's made with water)

Chocolate Banana
    1 cup milk
    1 frozen banana
    1 scoop chocolate protein (if no chocolate protein use vanilla and add 1 tbsp cocoa powder)

Strawberry Banana
    Same as above just add a handful of frozen strawberries (using vanilla protein)

Chocolate Peanut Butter
    1 scoop chocolate protein
    1 cup milk
    2 tbsp peanut butter
    handful of ice
  • hkingscott
    hkingscott Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello, m taking herbalife and I mix it with soya milk! U can adding
    Some fresh fruit to make yours taste a bit more appealing! X
  • wolfie640
    wolfie640 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Try searching protein pow(der) , great for recipes using protein powders ( my favs , banana bread and date flapjacks) :happy:
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are not intended to be meal replacements--they lack essential vitamins and nutrients. They are to be used as a supplement along with eating normal meals.

This. Most protein shakes/powders actually include wording somewhere on the package not to use it as a meal replacement.
    You don't need to drink your calories to lose weight.

But if you WANT to, you should invest some time and energy into finding a product or a recipe that will help you reach all of your caloric and nutritional requirements.
  • LaurenEllexx
    LaurenEllexx Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    add a banana or peanut butter! Seriously, it makes it taste a ton better
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I'm using the shakes as a breakfast because that's what my doctor recommended. I hate breakfast food and don't take the time to eat until lunch but my doctor wants me to drink a protein shake in the morning blended with some spinach and whatever other fruits and veggies I have on hand.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Try Shakeology. Really tasty (at least the vegan ones) and all kinds of good stuff in them... You can message Kristi at themountainsun on here for info

no
  • ndj1979
    Options
    how about real food and a calorie deficit…?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm using the shakes as a breakfast because that's what my doctor recommended. I hate breakfast food and don't take the time to eat until lunch but my doctor wants me to drink a protein shake in the morning blended with some spinach and whatever other fruits and veggies I have on hand.

skip breakfast and just eat more at lunch and dinner then …

A DR is not a nutritionist or expert in eating…

you might want to look into lean gains/IF 16/8
  • 3sixtyFit
    Options
    If you need to get some protein in ya quick and easy try taking vanilla protein powder and mix it with orange powerade zero. It tastes just like an orange creamsicle. I drink it everyday. Grape, fruit punch and the blue one taste really good mixed with vanilla powder also.
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    If you feel you must take them then use Nutrilite shakes.

They are the purest healthiest shakes on the market, and they offer soy isolate and whey. They taste pretty good too.

But as with any shake make sure you use a good mixer cup and shake the crap out of it.
  • vbodyme
    vbodyme Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion - shakeology is expensive and a waste of money. Look on e-bay and have a look. I picked up USN Diet Fuel which I mix with matrix anabolic. loads of protein, cheap and it doesn't destroy my taste buds :-)

In my opinion, depends what you compare it to. It definitively has a high cost, no argument on that, but it's value is way more than what it costs.

How much would it cost you to have 1 meal of nutritious food? $7, $10, way more even? Compare that to one serving of Shakeology costing $4. Shakeology is not a protein shake. It's a meal replacement. I take it and find it the best investment I've done. Keeps me healthy, subbed my multi-vitamins, keeps me regulated, and much more .. to me that beats spending money at the doctors, being sick or not having at lease one meal per day that has all nutrients my body needs to run properly. No brainer.
  • patrice357
    Options
    I dont know if you found the answer you are looking for but i add a cup of fruit to mine and either almond milk or soy and it tastes great
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's the brand of protein powder you use. I had to get used to it at first but now I LOVE them. Mine taste like ice cream! I use Vanilla Whey from Target, throw in berries, almond milk, two scoops powder, half or whole of a frozen banana and if i want some greek yoghurt. SO DIVINE!