Under Calories and Gaining Weight?

Options
I've been pretty consistantly under my calories - but my early first two weeks weight loss has slowed a great deal. The past couple days I've actually gained 2 lbs - but I think it's mostly water weight - as it's pretty much all in my boobs. (dang hormones)

I've been exercising a lot, and can tell I'm building a lot of muscle.
Usually when I diet I try not to exercise, because when I exercise I build muscle quick and it shows on the scale.

What are your experiences with this? I am a bit obsessive about the scale....should I hide it for a couple weeks and just stay under calories? I am comitted to this lifestyle change,, I FEEL so much better!

Replies

• LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you consuming in one day? You should not be eating less than 1200 calories a day. Any less and your body will go into starvation mode, holding on to everything you put in your body, thus causing you to gain weight. If you are exercising you should also be eating your exercise calories back. If you consume 1200 calories a day, but burn off say 700 of them, then you are only eating a net of 500 calories a day. And thats not good. So try eating more. I know it sounds crazy, but it works.
  • blel0906
    Options
    I've been having the same issue..On my 3rd week. First week lost 5 lbs, 2nd week it went up and down finally an additional 2lbs (I took a daily average to figure it). This week nothing. I'm sticking it out though, as this is usually the point in time I give in and get frustrated..
  • james3302
    Options
    Can you share your food diary so we can take a look at it? What kind of exercise are you doing? How much cardio and what kind of strength training?have you tried measuring your waist, arms etc to see if you are losing inches?
  • autumnater
    autumnater Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Are you going back into your GOALS after a loss and re-entering your current weight? Thats what you need to do to keep on track with what your "new" weight calories should be for that week or until your next loss....doing the Check In won't change your calories, it only changes your ticker but you have to go back to your goals to reset it....I am learning! And losing!
    Best wishes and hope this helps!
  • NurseMommy
    NurseMommy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Your first few weeks are really difficult too because you have to figure out what works for your body with food and excercise alike. And water weight is always a womans worst enemy!!
  • jeorwa
    jeorwa Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks ya'll! I made my food log public - if you want to glance at it. Excuse the crap I've eaten this weekend - yesterday we were outside and I just had to eat what was availible - and this morning hubby got me breakfast....

I have NEVER eaten under 1200 cals. :-) I just hate being hungry!

I don't always eat all my exercise cals back, usually just some of them. For example - yesterday I worked outside all day long on the farm rounding up cattle on horseback and working/vaccinating cattle - to my nearest estimation (there is no "calories for vaccinating cattle" I gained and extra 2800ish calories. Ain't no way I could eat those back in one meal!

I'm not opposed to eating more, or eating all my exercise cals back if ya'll think it would help. I just thought if I didn't eat my exercise cals then I would lose quicker.

Also - the last 3-4 days I've slacked a bit on H2O - I usually drink more than 8 glasses (but don't record anything over 8)

Again - THANKS! I will get back on here after church!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Hide your scale, and buy a tape measure (and only measure every two weeks). Seriously. The scale only tells a tiny part of your story.:flowerforyou:

Also, start tracking your sodium. After a quick glance at your food diary, I bet it's pretty high. This will make you retain extra water.
  • jeorwa
    jeorwa Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Ahh, Sodium. I forgot about that dreaded thing.

Now - the weight I gain from Sodium is only water-weight, correct? If so, can I lower my sodium later on? I have low blood pressure, and a little extra salt puts a pep in my step!