Will this help me reach my goal?

I'm 5'6. 140 pounds. I wanna loose 10-15 pounds by June. Iv been eating 1,200 calories and walking/running 40 minutes 5 days out of the week? Will that help me reach my goal? Also, could I eat anything and keep it under that calorie number? For example, in the morning I have a banana/egg shake, lunch = a top ramen soup and for dinner, I have chicken wraps in lettuce. And I have snacks 2 small snacks a day. What do you guys think?

Replies

• xkimberlee007
    xkimberlee007 Posts: 44 Member
    Track all your food an exercise and as long as your under your calories you will lose weight.
    Make sure you eat back your calories though for example if you burn 300 calories running then you should eat 1500 calories instead of 1200.
  • Oh really? I thought I had to leave it like that o.o so if I burn 200 I can eat something that's 200? But isn't that not letting me burn calories? :l
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Your calorie deficit is already worked out for you by MFP. You are meant to eat back those extra calories.
  • Your calorie deficit is already worked out for you by MFP. You are meant to eat back those extra calories.
    but will I still loose weight? I'm so sorry lol I'm new to this
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    MFP creates a caloric deficit for you.

When you set up your account it asked you how many pounds per week you wanted to lose. If MFP tells you to eat 1200 calories, and you burn 200 through exercise, you can now eat 1400 calories and still lose 2lbs per week.
  • Oh okay! (: what if I don't eat those calories that I worked off, is it bad?
  • Oh okay! (: what if I don't eat those calories that I worked off, is it bad?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Oh okay! (: what if I don't eat those calories that I worked off, is it bad?

If you don't eat them, you're denying your body the calories it needs to just do every day functions. Yes, over time, there are side affects. Tiredness, lethargy, dizziness, hair loss and such. One or two days won't hurt you but over time you could begin feeling the affects.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Oh okay! (: what if I don't eat those calories that I worked off, is it bad?

If you create a larger deficit than what is recommended you will lose weight faster, but a higher percentage of the weight lost will be muscle and not fat. Also, the larger your caloric deficit, the more your body wants to adapt to it and over time your metabolism will slow. Moral of the story, the smaller the deficit, the better. Be patient.
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    It depends on who you ask. Some people will tell you to eat your exercise calories back...some will say you don't need to.

You need to pay attention to your body. If you eat 1200 and burn 200 without eating those calories back, pay attention to how you feel. If you feel like crap...you are probably going to need more calories.

It's generally not a good idea to maintain an extreme deficit. You aren't going to like life. You probably wont die....but you will be burning muscle along with that body fat.

The slower the loss the better in most cases. Do what feels right for you. Just be sure not to cut your calories too low. You may end up passing out on the treadmill.