Help with my diet?

Options
I'm 5'6. 140 pounds. I wanna loose 10-15 pounds by June. Iv been eating 1,200 calories and walking/running 40 minutes 5 days out of the week? Will that help me reach my goal? Also, could I eat anything and keep it under that calorie number? For example, in the morning I have a banana/egg shake, lunch = a top ramen soup and for dinner, I have chicken wraps in lettuce. And I have snacks 2 small snacks a day. What do you guys think?

Replies

• amandah154
    amandah154 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    At 5'6 and 140lbs I am sure you have a beautiful figure, i am sure you don't need to lose more weight. However i would not recommend you eat less than 1200 cals per day, just eat healthy and do your exercise and think about the reasons you want to lose more weight? I am sure you look beautiful as you are!!
  • lolacastellanos
    Options
    Haha thank you! My mom tells me the same thing but when I look in the mirror, I still have a tummy and my thighs are kinda bulky right now. So maybe just 10 pounds? I'm going to edc this year in June and I wanna look really good, especially for summer :-) haha but do you think what I'm eating is healthy? And good for weight loss? (: I'm eating exactly 1,200 calories a day (:
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Haha thank you! My mom tells me the same thing but when I look in the mirror, I still have a tummy and my thighs are kinda bulky right now. So maybe just 10 pounds? I'm going to edc this year in June and I wanna look really good, especially for summer :-) haha but do you think what I'm eating is healthy? And good for weight loss? (: I'm eating exactly 1,200 calories a day (:
    I think you need to eat more vegetables and food.
    Top Ramen every night? Surely you don't mean you eat that often?
    I weight about the same as you and my goal is about the same as your, though I want to bulk muscles after I shed some Body Fat. Feel free to check out my logs.
  • lolacastellanos
    Options
    I think you need to eat more vegetables and food.
    Top Ramen every night? Surely you don't mean you eat that often?
    I weight about the same as you and my goal is about the same as your, though I want to bulk muscles after I shed some Body Fat. Feel free to check out my logs.
    okay (: and no I eat that for lunch every other day when I'm busy. And I do cardio 40 minutes a day. do you think that'll help me reach 130?
  • fitwithniki
    Options
    Ramen noodles is what sticks to our tummies :( I would look into other foods for a quick lunch. No, eating 1200 calories of anything is not best. 100 calories of an avocado is different then 100 calories of a snickers. I hope this helps!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    1200 cals is very low for someone who doesn't have much to lose, and has given themselves til June....who is also exercising...
    Where did you get your numbers from? Personally I'd be trying to lose weight on as much food as possible with as little exercise as possible!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    What's the nutritional value of Ramen? Never eat them but I do work shift work and find it difficult to figure out lunches but I know 2 cups of raw cauliflower and couple carrots and celery cut up in a baggie keep me grazing and never hungry and less than 200 calories.
  • lolacastellanos
    Options
    Ramen noodles is what sticks to our tummies :( I would look into other foods for a quick lunch. No, eating 1200 calories of anything is not best. 100 calories of an avocado is different then 100 calories of a snickers. I hope this helps!
    it did! Thanks, I probably will eat something healthier then that :-)
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Don't forget one package of Top Ramen is two servings.
    I would be worried since you have so little weight to lose about eating something that high in carbs and high in sodium. The high sodium would make me retain water weight.
  • fitwithniki
    Options
    What's the nutritional value of Ramen? Never eat them but I do work shift work and find it difficult to figure out lunches but I know 2 cups of raw cauliflower and couple carrots and celery cut up in a baggie keep me grazing and never hungry and less than 200 calories.

Not sure but any packaged processed foods is bad especially when trying to lose weight. You need protein, a healthy fat and veggies to keep you full. Try adding chicken breast and 1/3 of avocado to your lunch
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

Not sure but any packaged processed foods is bad especially when trying to lose weight. You need protein, a healthy fat and veggies to keep you full. Try adding chicken breast and 1/3 of avocado to your lunch

While it's always preferable to eat whole, nutritious foods, there is nothing "bad" about "processed" (whatever that means) or packaged food and eating it won't impede your weight loss. Fat loss is a matter of eating fewer calories than you burn in a day. Personally, I think your goal of 1200 is likely low for you, given the fact that you only have 10 lbs to lose - especially if you're not making up for the exercise by eating extra calories to compensate for the additional burn. I suggest you try calculating your TDEE (there are many online calculators to do this for you), and eat a moderate cut of that, like 10 or 15%. Ensure that you're getting adequate protein and fats, and do think about making sure you're eating fruits and veggies so you're getting adequate micronutrients. BUT don't be afraid to enjoy your Ramen or other treats as you go. Eating very low calorie diets makes it hard to meet these nutritional needs. For what it's worth, I dropped from 135 to 125 lbs eating in the range of 2000 to 2500 calories per day, and that was only with about 5 hours of exercise a week. You don't have to starve yourself to get good results.
    ETA: also, strongly consider replacing two or three of those cardio workouts with resistance training (weights). You want to retain muscle as you drop fat, and lifting weights will help you do this.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

That too of course that is just part of what I take for a 12 hour shift. :drinker:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" 135 and over twice your age. And I'm eating more calories than you are.

I assume you want to lose weight and keep it off? Not just lose it for a beach holiday? EAT to fuel your body! If you (naively) chose "2LBS a week" change it to 1 or .5. When you only have a little to lose you should aim for a little a week. GOD I WISH THE APP WOULDN'T LET FOLKS SAY TWO POUNDS A WEEK WHEN THEY ONLY HAVE A LITTLE TO LOSE! (sorry for the rant) Then eat the calories it gives you. (including the ones from exercise). Lose it slowly (and don't lose much).

And again, it depends on your goals what you decide to eat. Ramen's got nothing going for it other than calories and salt, but if weight loss is all you want, it's probably ok.