Is this possible? Is this gonna have a effect?

Options
Recently my brother who is 17 was overweight and then lost the weight over the years. I mean that's a good thing but the way he was losing the weight is pretty much eating under 1200 calories, I told him that's unhealthy. His weight right now is 166lbs and height is 5'8. He does exercise and sleep all the time but the problem is his eating habit.

So basically my question is will eating this little effect him in the future, what should he do to prevent that etc...

Replies

• hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    He pretty much eats under 1200 calories. How do you know his calorie intake? Does he measure his food? Do you measure his food? Where are you getting the 1200 number from?
  • Ashley_Lea1995
    Options
    He pretty much eats under 1200 calories. How do you know his calorie intake? Does he measure his food? Do you measure his food? Where are you getting the 1200 number from?
    He told me, and I pretty much helped him on his weight loss goals. I told him how much he should be eating while exercising (which of course he won't listen) . He says "I don't feel hungry" which means he isn't eating enough calories. No he doesn't measure his food. 1200 is the least he should be eating but even that number is bad for his weight, height, activity etc..
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    His BMR is around 1800-1900 calories. He is fine. Plus he is probably eating more than 1200 per day since he doesn't measure anything.

If he feels fine and isn't hungry, he is probably going to survive.
  • Ashley_Lea1995
    Options
    His MBR is around 1800-1900 calories. He is fine. Plus he is probably eating more than 1200 per day since he doesn't measure anything.
    I hope your right about that, I just don't want him gain everything back once he stops his exercise in the future.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    If he's not tracking everything he's eating, then I highly doubt he's only eating 1200 calories.

http://evidencemag.com/why-calories-count/

Try and read this whole thing when you have a chance, but here's an excerpt:
    In some cases, people who claim they can’t lose weight by cutting calories underestimate their food intake by 47%, and overestimate their exercise levels by 51%. Other data has shown that people can under report their food intake by up to 2,000 calories per day.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    His MBR is around 1800-1900 calories. He is fine. Plus he is probably eating more than 1200 per day since he doesn't measure anything.
    I hope your right about that, I just don't want him gain everything back once he stops his exercise in the future.

Most people that stop doing what it was that helped them lose the weight... do gain it back...
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options

Most people that stop doing what it was that helped them lose the weight... do gain it back...

This. Its not like he stops working out and BAM, fat again. When most people stop the gym etc, they stop eating healthy as well.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    He says "I don't feel hungry" which means he isn't eating enough calories.

where are you getting this from, pretty much everyone bar people with an ED feels hungry when they are not eating enough.

If you want the effects of under eating on the body, you can google them and give it to him. He's is probably not going to listen, because you are his sister and chances are he is taking in more calories, because it's pretty hard to eat that little and still work out at full steam, especially for a guy.
  • Ashley_Lea1995
    Options
    He says "I don't feel hungry" which means he isn't eating enough calories.

where are you getting this from, pretty much everyone bar people with an ED feels hungry when they are not eating enough.

If you want the effects of under eating on the body, you can google them and give it to him. He's is probably not going to listen, because you are his sister and chances are he is taking in more calories, because it's pretty hard to eat that little and still work out at full steam, especially for a guy.
    No I'm his older brother, I'm just using my little sisters account (because she said this site is useful).
    Like I said he says hes never hungry and which case he eats little. (that's what he told me and what I've seen)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    He's probably eating more as he's not measuring, so he should be fine until he decides to increase his intake to maintain... then he might gain.