"Are you eating enough??" RANT

Options
May I just start by saying I have lost 22 lbs and am SO proud of myself; it has taken me 4 months to do that, which I figured is a really healthy timeline. By no means am I "skinny", and have about 20 more lbs to go until I'm at a really healthy BMI, but I am proud to have worked so hard. I do count calories (not totally religiously), and have learned how to live without so much soda and fried food. I work out three times a week at an ungodly hour so it doesn't interfere with my full-time job, husband, and two kids (and am exhausted!!).

The part that's annoying: People (my friends, my own DAD) saying that I need to eat. Thinking that I am starving myself, and not considering the HARD WORK I have put in, primarily with my workouts. Seriously? I don't want to have to defend myself because I've lost weight, so I guess I just won't. It's like I told my dad, who was concerned about my eating (I have NO problem eating, I love food): I have to take in calories to lose weight! If my body was starving, I would struggle more with the weight loss. The reason I'm losing weight is because of that balance between exercise and dietary intake. GAH!

My husband understands, and of course the other people I work out with. I just wanted to vent one time about it to you all, who understand what it means to be dedicated to consistency for the greater good. Why can't people just be happy for you, instead of thinking, "Oh, she must be on some crazy crash-diet or just not eating to be losing weight".

Replies

• anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Change is scary - not only for you, but for those that know you. Sometimes when people are scared, they just happen to say dumb things.

This too shall pass.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Great work ! You got this.
  • Elizasdaughterbbg
    Elizasdaughterbbg Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel.
    I've always exercised and watched what I've eaten but my mum doesn't understand it at all and is always giving me a hard time.
    To be fair though, I can't understand why she doesn't want to look after her body so I guess it's probably the same with your Dad?
    All I can advise on is keep going, 20lb loss is brilliant and as long as you can see the benefits and enjoying them that's what's important...YOUR enjoyment :)
    x
  • realmeryl16
    realmeryl16 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My mom says the same thing to me. Lol. I just laugh it off.
    My co-workers thought I was on drugs. I think that's a worse opinion. Lol.
  • JenJBS
    JenJBS Posts: 83
    Options
    Change is scary - not only for you, but for those that know you. Sometimes when people are scared, they just happen to say dumb things.

This too shall pass.

Beautifully said, Anthony438
  • emtbythesea
    emtbythesea Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When they say that, you can respond with something like, "Actually, I just had some... and in a bit I'm gonna grab a... Want to join me?" Or you can take a more condescending approach, "I'm on an eating plan. When you're ready to get on my train and shed YOUR extra pounds, I'll show you how to do it right. Until then, worry about your own eating habits." I have been through this and it's super annoying even when you know it's coming from a place of love. You could also send a text to them individually, saying that discussion about how you "need to eat something" are off limits from now on. Your rant is understandable.
  • EplusThree
    EplusThree Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It's definitely frustrating dealing with others, especially loved ones. My hubs is sincerely supportive of my weight loss/lifestyle plan, (esp after kids). But, sometimes, when I'm about to go to the gym, he asks why.. Umm.. Huh?! Why do you think? After the gym, I crave more movement, I want to take the kids for longer walks, I want to clean the house. I turn into a ball of energy, and frankly, I think it scares people. Or maybe it makes them envious. For whatever reason, don't let them stop you :)

Show them your food journal and show that you are eating PLENTY!! Numbers scare ppl because they're so in-your-face.
    But showing them what you've been eating, might soften them up to see what you're about.
  • emtbythesea
    emtbythesea Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Show them your food journal and show that you are eating PLENTY!! Numbers scare ppl because they're so in-your-face.
    But showing them what you've been eating, might soften them up to see what you're about.
    [/quote]
    I agree, encourage them to join mfp. Then you can be friends and hassle (I mean motivate) each other, instead of you feeling ganged up on.
  • MamaDinger
    MamaDinger Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You are all fantastic. It was just nice to get that off my chest, especially with people who understand. I agree, some of the people who have given me a "hard" time are coming from a place of love, and I can respect that. I will just let it roll off my shoulders, because this mama's not done shedding weight yet! What'll they say after I've lost another 20? I'll deal :) I'd rather have lost the weight and have people give me some grief over it, rather than not to have tried/worked hard for people to say nothing!