Running outside vs running on a treadmill

Options
For the next two weeks i am not able to go to the gym and it's driving me nuts!?!?!?! I usually alternate between an hour swim or a 40-60 min run on the treadmill doing 1 min intervals of walking at 3.4mph to sprinting at 6.7mph.

So this week since I can't use the gym I have just been doing a long 40 min run outside instead of intervals on the treadmill. But it hurts a lot more because I am not accustomed to the outdoors and I don't feel like I am getting as good of a workout. I don't sweat as much and I don't have that good skinny feeling when I get home.

Do you find that you get a better or worse workout running outside vs. inside on a treadmill. Am I just over thinking it, what do you suggest?

Replies

• gemaquaries
    gemaquaries Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I always liked running outside better. But you might have to pace yourself so you don't go too fast or slow. Also being in the wind might evaporate some sweat. Also, if you're running on pavement or concrete, it does put more stress on your joints. However, I still like it better. It's more realistic for me (and I don't have to worry about falling off the treadmill...it's happened X_x)
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I get a much more intense workout running on the treadmill for sure. I'd much rather run outside with the jogging stroller or the dog on the beautiful path. But I'm stuck at the gym for now.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Running outside is generally considered harder you will be running slower than on a treadmill. Due to the varying terrain it puts different strain on your body. You also have variations in wind and temperature to deal with. It is obviously not as controlled conditions as a treadmill but that is a good thing as your body then can't get over used to what you are doing.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    For me outside is better. I find it more challenging and enjoyable, I can run into the country and chill. The undulation also makes it harder as does the wind and the constant slight changes of direction. I think I run faster and harder outside as well because there are things to distract me from some of the lovely discomfort. I do intervals on the dreadmill but I am definitely an outdoor person when in comes to running.
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like the treadmill. I don't feel like I get a good workout on the treadmill. I am the opposite and tend to get shin splints on the treadmill and I run a lot slower, while everybody else runs faster. i wouldn't run on a treadmill unless i have to, plus it's boring. when you run outside the scenery changes.
  • TheresaTester
    TheresaTester Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I don't run, but I walk real fast :o)

I like the cardio-feeling better when I'm outside, going up and down hills, but the treadmill will make me sweat more.

1st choice>outside
    2nd choice>treadmill
  • reneemosley
    reneemosley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Outside for every reason.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I feel like I can't regulate my speed and gait as well on the treadmill as I can outside. I can never seem to run as far or avoid shin splints as well. I think outside on a track would be the best of both. It's softer like the treadmill so not as high of an impact, but I can also run however fast I can/want/am comfortable with.

I read that you actually burn more calories outside, running at the same speed, because of more wind resistance. I don't know how true that is though.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Outside is so much better because you got hills. You got wind. You got scenery. Also after X-amount of time you'll find the treadmill boring.
  • stplatt
    stplatt Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what your goal is. Both are good workouts. The difference comes from the treadmill belt.

When you run on a treadmill, the "ground" moves beneath you. The disadvantage is that your legs do not have to work quite as hard since they do not have to put forth the extra effort to propel your body forward. Your body is stationary and the "ground" moves. (Everybody cue Carol King http://youtu.be/hoHuxpa4h48?t=13s). When you run outside, your leg muscles must work a little harder to propel you forward.

On the flip side, you have Cardio endurance. When you run outside, Your body must work harder to propel you forward. This means that your legs are moving slower. When they get tired, what do they do??? That's right...move slower still, but you don't notice it. And when your legs and lungs are tired, it is HARD to move faster. Compare that to the treaddy. The "ground" keeps moving at a constant pace. You have two choices. Keep up or hope nobody notices when you face plant at the end of the treadmill. When you start to become winded, your legs can't slow down without an adverse reaction. This builds cardio endurance, and when you run outside, you will be able to run harder, longer. Both are valuable tools.

That being said, sweat rate is not a good indicator of fitness. When you run outside, the air is moving around you, it may be cooler, which helps cool your body, and there are not 100 other people adding to the heat of the workout area. Sweat is just a cooling mechanism. If your body doesn't need to sweat to cool itself (if it is 30 degrees outside for instance) it wont.

A better indication of the workout is Heart Rate. When you are on the treadmill, if your heart rate usually runs 140-145, for instance, then when you run outside, if your heart rate is in that same range, then the workout is comparable, regardless of how much sweat loss you have.
  • linusr
    linusr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When I started running again I only ran on the treadmill. I picked up some injuries and started running outside instead. I enjoy running outside much more than the treadmill, and think I get a better workout.
  • Rosieannaxo
    Options
    I like to run outside. Running on the treadmill is awesome, I will never complain about it. But running outside is a completely different experience for me. The view is constantly changing, the incline is changing, and I just seem to push myself harder. Also, I can't just stop because I have to get back home, I always have a destination.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    The reason you don't sweat as much is nothing to do with less exertion. It's because the sweat can evaporate more efficiently from your body as the air moves relative to your body.

For most people, running outside will take longer than it would on a treadmill for the same distance and perceived exertion. Logical conclusion - running outside is harder and requires more exertion than running on a treadmill.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    If I'm not running on a track, I will still do timed intervals outside.

Or, if I'm feeling lazy and don't want set intervals, I'll just do some speed play.

No reason to give up intervals just because you are outside.
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My run outside always feels more challenging than my run on a treadmill. I despise the treadmill with the heat of a thousand suns.
  • smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Just read this before going out for my first outdoor run. I was using the treadmill to do C25k which was great never thought I could do it but good god by the end of it I was bored. I didn't run over the holidays so this was my first day back , so never going back to treadmill.
    Time goes faster, I feel I've done something, got fresh air, no waiting for free treadmill and I feel happier.

Try both I guess but if you ever want to race might be good to run outside
  • Kuly85
    Kuly85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like the treadmill. I don't feel like I get a good workout on the treadmill. I am the opposite and tend to get shin splints on the treadmill and I run a lot slower, while everybody else runs faster. i wouldn't run on a treadmill unless i have to, plus it's boring. when you run outside the scenery changes.
    shin splints sucks =/ got one in the summer doing it outdoors. The treadmill feels better but I prefer outside.
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    What is "that good skinny feeling?" I don't mean to poke fun, but that sounds kind of silly.

I don't know of any hard evidence that running on the ground is better than a treadmill, but I prefer running outdoors because:

1. Treadmills make me wobbly.
    2. Being outdoors is nice.
    3. In sports, races, etc.. you don't run on a treadmill, you run on the ground. So why would you train by running on a treadmill? (I treadmills are different enough from running outdoors to warrant this criticism.)
    4. Vitamin D / Seasonal depression?

I suppose most women might appreciate the tanning aspect of it as well.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    What is "that good skinny feeling?" I don't mean to poke fun, but that sounds kind of silly.

I don't know of any hard evidence that running on the ground is better than a treadmill, but I prefer running outdoors because:

1. Treadmills make me wobbly.
    2. Being outdoors is nice.
    3. In sports, races, etc.. you don't run on a treadmill, you run on the ground. So why would you train by running on a treadmill? (I treadmills are different enough from running outdoors to warrant this criticism.)
    4. Vitamin D / Seasonal depression?

I suppose most women might appreciate the tanning aspect of it as well.

The "good skinny feeling", just means that after my hard workouts on the treadmill, I don't feel bloated, my body feels fresh as if I accomplished a nice hard workout and I overall feel lighter. But the past two runs outside i come home and my body feels just as bloated as before, I dont feel like I accomplished anything, and now my legs and feet are soar :/