What kind of weight training should I do?

Options
Hello everyone. So my question is what kind of strength traning should I do? I currently run 3 miles a day 6 days a week I am new at running I plan to bump it up to run marathons one day. I want to be a distance runner I am not concerned with pace at the moment but with that said I just graduated from the couch 2 5k app so I am fairly new at running. My time for the 5k is not that great my time at the moment is 35 minutes. But I am curious to know seeing as I only have one off day is it ok to do stength training on my running days?. I run outside and don't belong to a gym and the only weights I have are dumbells. Any suggestions on what type of strength training I can do? Any suggestions and tips will be much appreciated. Thank you

P.S If I posted in the wrong section I apologize

Shannon

Replies

• Iliketurtles321
    Iliketurtles321 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    BUMP anyone? lol
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a gym? Stronglifts 5x5 is a great beginner program
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Prioritize your goals. Do you want to look better and feel stronger? Lift more often, but stop running so much because you will need time to recover.

You said you're a beginner though.. I'd slow down if I was you. You're going to burn yourself out quickly if you work out 7x a week.
  • Iliketurtles321
    Options
    Thank you just watched this on youtube and it's nice
  • Iliketurtles321
    Options
    I roughly run 5-6 days a week I just love it but I see what your saying I have only been doing it a few months I will cut it down to 3 days a week and on other days weight train and of course have recover days. Thank you
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You only need to do resistance training 2x per week and you can do it on days when you are running shorter distances. Especially if you are using home equipment and not a gym you are likely not going to be lifting that heavy. At first it may affect your running, but the body can and will adapt and there is no reason why you can't run and lift.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    You only need to do resistance training 2x per week and you can do it on days when you are running shorter distances. Especially if you are using home equipment and not a gym you are likely not going to be lifting that heavy. At first it may affect your running, but the body can and will adapt and there is no reason why you can't run and lift.

I disagree here...overtraining is a real thing. Yes, your body will adapt so that you can physically DO it, but you certainly won't be maximizing your results.

Walterc7 on the other hand, has the right idea. If you can, limit your running to three days a week, lift two days (I'll give you an excellent home routine below), and REST for two days. You will find that you improve at a far greater pace if you allow adequate rest.

Now, for a home based strength training routine. Again contrary to what Azdak suggested, you can lift pretty heavily using just your body and no dumbbells. Bodyweight strength training is about leverage...as you'll see below.
    Bodyweight Strength Training

People are always asking about strength training using only bodyweight. This is nothing new or revolutionary. I am borrowing HEAVILY from Rippatoe, Bill Starr, and lots of other great authors and trainers. This is your basic 5 x 5 template. (To clarify, 5x5 is 5 reps x 5 sets. The idea is to work at a difficulty level where you could only do maybe 7-8 reps on the first set, and are struggling to finish 5 reps on the last set).

You would do strength training 3 times a week, say Monday-Wednesday-Friday with the weekends off.

These are done "lazy circuits" style, with about 1 minute rest between each set.

Workout A

1A. Knee dominant - 5 x 5

1B. Horizontal push - 5 x 5

1C. Horizontal pull - 5 x 5

2A. Ab - flexion - 3 x 5

2B. Ab - static 3 x 30 seconds

Workout B

1A. Knee dominant - 5 x 5

1B. Vertical push - 5 x 5

1C. Hip dominant - 5 x 5

1D. Vertical pull - 5 x 5

2A. Ab - rotation - 3 x 5

2B. Grip and neck training - 3 x varies

Exercise Progressions - with regular weight training you can just add weight to the bar. With bodyweight progression is mostly about changing your leverage. These are just a few examples, I'm sure we could come up with dozens more if needed. You can always add resistance in the form of a weighted vest or backpack or resistance bands.

1. Knee Dominant -- squats, lunges, step-ups, bulgarian split squats, unilateral bent leg deadlift, partial one leg squat, one leg squat, box or stair pistols, full pistols.
    2. Horizontal Push -- pushups, decline pushups, resistance pushups, side to side pushups, stair one arm pushups, negative one arm pushups, full one arm pushups.
    3. Horizontal Pull -- body row, resistance body row, negative one hand row, incline one hand row, full one hand row.
    4. Ab - flexion -- crunches, situps, resistance or incline situps, reverse situp, resistance or incline reverse situps, hanging knee or leg raise, hanging pikes, rollout from knees, rollout from feet, dragon flag. Also included are oblique moves like side lying crunches with or without resistance and side lying two leg raise.
    5. Abs- static -- 4 point prone bridge, 3 point prone bridge, 2 point prone bridge, 4 point supine bridge, 3 point supine bridge.
    6. Vertical Push -- pike pushup, hindu pushup, divebomber pushup, decline pike pushup, decline hindu pushup, decline divebomber pushup, one arm pike pushup, negative handstand pushup, handstand pushup with head touching floor, full handstand pushup.
    7. Hip Dominant -- supine hip extension, good morning, one leg stiff leg deadlift, split one leg good morning, one leg supine hip extension, hyperextension, one leg hyperextension, natural glute-ham raise.
    8. Vertical Pull -- jumping or assisted pullups, pullups, resistance pullups, side to side pullups, negative one hand pullups, one hand pullups. All these can refer to chinups or neutral grip pullups as well.
    9. Ab - rotation -- twist crunches or situps, resistance or incline twist crunches or situps, russian twists, lying windshield wipers, standing rope rotations, hanging windshield wipers.
    10. Grip and Neck Training -- for grip you can use handgrippers, deadhangs from a pullup bar (especially a fatbar or gripping a towel). For neck nothing beats wrestlers bridges. If you are involved in a striking martial art or sport, finger and fist pushups are very important also.

None of these lists have to end here. If you get strong enough you can always add resistance to your full range of motion one limb exercise. Or if you can do more than 5 one hand pushups do decline one hand pushups, or start working on one hand hindu and then eventually one hand dive bombers, and so on.

Hope that helps. Oh, and if you'd like to see the results of this routine, peek through my gallery. I used it myself to lose 40lbs of mostly bodyfat, in three months.
  • Iliketurtles321
    Options
    Wow great stuff thank you so much :)