Exercise Calories

Options
I was wondering if most people eat their exercise calories or not.
I am aiming for a 1500 calorie day but usually earn between 300-600 calories, is it ok to eat those and still maintain my weight?
Thank you!

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I generally don't, but there are some days that I need more and so then I eat a bit more. I find that often the danger in eating back exercise calories is that we can very easily overestimate how much we burn. I would say use half of your estimated calories burned or try out a TDEE method to figure out what your intake should be that way your activity is already factored in and you don't have to worry about it.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up that you are supposed to eat them back - that's why they add them back into your daily goal.

Your daily calories already have you at a deficit - meaning eat to goal every day, do zero exercise, and you'll lose weight. When you exercise and burn off more cals, you're left with a much larger deficit, too large, which can cause all sorts of problems in the long run. This is why they are added to your daily goal - your NET cals should be at or near your daily goal.
  • franzhaydn
    Options
    I have to agree with Amy. In my personal experience, not eating up your burned calories -- assuming they were burnt in a form of aerobic activity -- will result in muscle loss along with fat! Meaning, after you lose the weight, you'll look fatter than before you lost it :/ I would recommend re-eating your calories and employing strength training, or burning those non-re-eaten calories anaerobically.
  • needtolose1979
    needtolose1979 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump