How can I get my arms strong enough to do a push up?

Options
I've been working out for a little over a week now, and I am trying so hard to improve in several areas, but I'm not seeing results when I attempt a pushup daily. I hold myself up for 60 seconds trying to go down as far as I can and then coming back up, but I'm not feeling the "after burn" that I would think I would have to tear muscles and build them back up. What types of exercises should I be doing and for how long so that I begin doing pushups?

Replies

• janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    If you have access to weights, do bench presses.

Otherwise, do timed planks. I set my phone on stopwatch and put it underneath me when I do planks. I try to add to the time each day.

You can also do as many "girl" push ups as possible. Start by doing as many real ones as you can, and then work to exhaustion doing girl push ups. You'll eventually increase the number of real ones you can do.

Don't worry about feeling an afterburn. Sometimes I feel sore and sometimes I don't. I like feeling sore, but I think that isn't really an accurate gauge of how hard I'm working. Keep at it. You'll get there. I went from doing 1 to doing 35 this summer. I think it would be kick *kitten* to do 100.
  • princesswarrior1116
    Options
    I'm working on this too. I am getting stronger by doing pushups at a 45* angle. I do them in the same position as I would if I were doing them on the floor, except that I use something to elevate my upper body (like a chair or table or kitchen counter.) I've been doing this for several weeks and can now do two "boy" push ups on the floor. I currently do sets of 20 pushups at a 45* angle and do 5 sets for a total of 100 every other day or so.

Maybe this will work for you too.
  • leojsivad
    leojsivad Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Start by pushing against your counter top or something of the same height.

When that gets easy, find something at a lower angle until that becomes easy.
  • Breakdown64
    Breakdown64 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Start on your knees, or if even that's too tough, do some off the wall or off a table ( a stable one!). All good ways to build arm and chest strength.
  • missyont
    Options
    Start on your knees, or if even that's too tough, do some off the wall or off a table ( a stable one!). All good ways to build arm and chest strength.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    ...keep trying to do push ups? Idk, that's what I did.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    This is the *only* good use I've ever found for a Smith machine. You can use them to vary the incline angle until you're almost on the floor.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

That's what worked for me.

Just keep moving down as you progress until you can do them from the floor.
  • Dino_bacon2112
    Dino_bacon2112 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    ...keep trying to do push ups? Idk, that's what I did.

That's what I did too. I also made a habit of doing a "modified" push up whenever I had to get off the floor because I'm too lazy to practice otherwise.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

That's what worked for me.

Just keep moving down as you progress until you can do them from the floor.

Yup. Stairs are perfect. Start a few up, then move down as you get stronger.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    This is the *only* good use I've ever found for a Smith machine. You can use them to vary the incline angle until you're almost on the floor.

That was what I did also. I started by doing push ups with my hands on the bench. Then used the bar on the smith machine, and lowered it. I also did them at an outdoor exercise park that had surfaces at different heights that I could use.

I also did them with my feet up on a ball. I don't know if that makes them easier or more challenging, but they did work my core even more (although regular pushups work the core great on their own).
  • BranDiesel_27
    Options
    Push ups are more of a chest exercise. Triceps(back of arm) and Delt(shoulder) are also used during the exercise, but are not the primary focus. Tho hitting these areas in isolation will improve push up cabability.

Do pushups with knees on the ground or do incline pushups(incline pushups are where your doing a full push up with your hands elevated higher than your feet. This is achieved by placing them on a stair case, chair, wall, etc.) as you build strength, lower the elevation of your hands until your able to do a flat surface pushup.

Spreading the feet wider during the push up makes it easier by creating a more stable base, bringing them closer together makes them easier.

As always, make sure your form is good when training them

Need any more help/Ideas just ask :)
  • needtogetfit932
    Options
    Remember, you don't only need strong arms to do a pushup. You need a strong chest and abs, too. I suggest doing pushups on your knees first. Also, make sure you do exercises that will make your chest stronger, such as dumbbell bench presses and dumbbell flyes.
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If you can't do a full push up, then do push ups from the knees or with your hands on a bench/table/whatever. It's important that you train to failure for each set. Meaning that you do as many push ups as you can until you can't perform another one, then rest for 1-2 minutes and repeat.

If you're new to the motion, you will make a lot of progress by building muscle memory through repetition. So train a few sets a day, train to failure, and if you can't do a full push up then do one of the modified ones suggested. I guarantee you that if you train 5 sets a day mon-fri you'll be doing regular push ups in a week or two.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I've been working out for a little over a week now, and I am trying so hard to improve in several areas, but I'm not seeing results when I attempt a pushup daily. I hold myself up for 60 seconds trying to go down as far as I can and then coming back up, but I'm not feeling the "after burn" that I would think I would have to tear muscles and build them back up. What types of exercises should I be doing and for how long so that I begin doing pushups?

I'm a woman with very little upper body strength and am working on this every day with a small group on MFP. We try to fit them in at work.

Keep at it and eventually you will be able to do them.

-- Planks help build strength.
    -- Push ups with knees on the floor are okay and better than not doing them at all.
    -- You can also find a staircase, choose a step as low as possible where you can keep the correct form, and do some push ups there -- after a while, try to move to a lower step until you are able to do push ups on the floor. This method has helped me.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nhqz1DgzN8

to increase your tricep strength, you need strong triceps to do push ups or any pushing movements.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    As they tell us in the military the only way to get better at push ups is to do push ups. Whether its on your knees or what ever you need to do
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    do them on your knees but make sure you have good form - I see SO many women at the gym doing knee push-ups with their butts in the air. your body should be in a plank - abs tight, butt down but not sinking, flat back. If you are really new to working out, I'd really suggest a few sessions with a trainer. It doesn't have to be private personal training - do some small-group weight lifting or boot camp classes with a good instructor who will correct your form & answer any questions you have.

also, don't expect to get better in a week - it's going to take months to get very noticeable strength gains, especially at a calorie deficit. just keep at it!
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'd say use the stairs. Start at a height you can almost manage 8 to 12 reps on for 3 sets and then keep moving down a step once you find it too easy.
    Or you could try knee push ups whilst wearing a rucksack with increasing weight in it.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Another +1 for the stairs.

Also, try some tricep chair dips to build up your arm and shoulder strength, and do planks too.