Any lifters with knee issues?

Options
Hey Folks,

I've worked out off-and-on for most of my adult life, but it's always been restricted movement lifting (Nautilus machines) and stationary bike cardio.

I've always been ~20-40lbs overweight since shortly after getting married 7 years ago (wife is a damn good cook, too good). I think the excess weight above my "ideal" 180lbs (I'm 6'0") aggravates my already bum right knee. I had surgery about a year ago to get a torn cartilage removed from my knee. The surgeon, who is fairly renowned as a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon, did a really good job and released me from his care about 2 months post-op with no restrictions on using my knee.

In mid December I got out of my comfort zone and started lifting free weights, which I really am enjoying. A lot of the exercises put stress on my knees. I've been limiting the weight to keep my knee from complaining.

I'm wondering whether I am stuck as a light lifter because of my knee or if better bracing/wrapping would help me kick the weights up?

Thanks in advance for anyone commenting from experience or professional knowledge,
PW

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    How's your form? I used to think I couldn't squat because of my knees...squatting always aggravated my knees. Learning proper form fixed that for me. The leg press and other machines aggravate my knees, but I'm actually fine with front and back squats, dead-lifts/RDL, and lunges (though I have to be careful with the lunges).

You should also start out pretty light and work up slowly? Are you following a particular program?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I had a pretty funky left knee from years of skateboarding/running/kung fu. I got to the stage where certain explosive kicks and doing sprints were making me hobble like an old man for a day or two afterward.

Barbell lifting actually put it right. I found that squatting/RDL didn't actually aggravate it. After a couple of months (maybe 4-5?) I found I could go back to stuff like kicking and sprinting a few times a week without pain. It never bothers me nowadays (touch wood!)

As cwolfman13 says - start light and nail the correct form - work up slowly. If you get pain, back off. Higher rep stuff is not so sexy around here, but it'll allow you to strengthen your soft tissue without damaging it while you build a base. Something like All Pro's that works in a slightly higher rep range is something I've used coming back off injury successfully. Once you've successfully rehabbed it you can move onto something lower-rep orientated.
  • PecanWaffle
    Options
    How's your form? I used to think I couldn't squat because of my knees...squatting always aggravated my knees. Learning proper form fixed that for me. The leg press and other machines aggravate my knees, but I'm actually fine with front and back squats, dead-lifts/RDL, and lunges (though I have to be careful with the lunges).

You should also start out pretty light and work up slowly? Are you following a particular program?

I likely have no form as I've never had instruction, which is why I've been lifting light.. However, I've arranged with a personal trainer who will provide instruction on form.

I'll likely meet with him late next week so we'll see how it goes.

PW
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I have osteoarthritis in both knees. I have been lifting about a year now and have had no issues so far. :smile: