Green Beans and Butter

Options
Phooey. After deciding I actually like healthy green beans steamed with butter, I logged it on the food counter and my butter added 200 calories to my day. Not such a great 2nd day. Anyone else need the flavor of butter to eat cooked green beans? Have you found an alternative. Thanks.

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Less butter? When I make green beans for the whole family (5 of us) I add about 2 tablespoons of butter, maybe less. That's 200 calories, divided by 5 (and whatever ends up at the bottom of the bowl). 2 tablespoons of butter on green beans for one person is a lot, I'd just cut it down some. They'd still taste good. Parmesan cheese is also good on them, 22 calories per tablespoon (or 5 grams).
  • ladyace0007
    Options
    I use bouillon packets to flavor the water for my green beans. Tossing in a little ham if you have it on hand is another way to add flavor.

And if you still need butter, just watch how much you use. Often, half of what you're used to adding will do just as well.
  • freedom403
    freedom403 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I don't like butter at all. Never have. I don't put it on any vegetables. On green beans, and on all my veggies, I just sprinkle some salt on them.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I don't use butter on green beans (I generally just flavor it with bacon, onions, and seasonings). I do however use incredibly generous amounts on broccoli. I use about a cube with 3 heads (just the florets) or so. For me...I prefer full flavor, and would rather cut something else out (like sugary soda, or snacks through the day), than sacrifice the taste of my dinner. If that fails, I just moderate how big a serving I eat.

I'm not sure that helps you, but if not perhaps it will help someone else :).
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't use butter on green beans, and I don't cook them anywhere NEAR as much as most people. I like them really crisp with a little salt and pepper, maybe garlic. I like to think that retains more of the flavor of the bean, which might mean you'd not need something like butter for flavor.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Phooey. After deciding I actually like healthy green beans steamed with butter, I logged it on the food counter and my butter added 200 calories to my day. Not such a great 2nd day. Anyone else need the flavor of butter to eat cooked green beans? Have you found an alternative. Thanks.
    When I was growing up, my mother always used butter on vegetables. As an adult, I've never used butter on my veggies. I just steam 'em and eat 'em.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I don't use butter on green beans, and I don't cook them anywhere NEAR as much as most people. I like them really crisp with a little salt and pepper, maybe garlic. I like to think that retains more of the flavor of the bean, which might mean you'd not need something like butter for flavor.

I do this for almost all vegetables I cook lol, only I basically flash fry them in butter =p. I like them hot, but not actually cooked.

Also, to the OP...for some reason I was thinking canned green beans! I don't often eat fresh green beans (usually it's sugar snap or snow peas), but when I do, I cook them just like I said above...a bit of seasoning and basically quick fried in butter.
  • jweindruch
    jweindruch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Garlic and onion have natural oils. If you start with chopped onion and garlic in a non-stick pan you will not need to add any fat: oil or butter. I add chili flake, salt, pepper, or other spices to add flavor.
  • Jess_Forever_After
    Jess_Forever_After Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I put brie on mine, I had some tonight actually!
    1/2 ounce of brie is 50 cals and will get lovely and melty on hot foods. I cut the 'crust' off of it.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    So what if it add 200 cal, butter is so delicious and healthy for you. That's how I prepare my green beans.

Oh, I also add slivered blanched almonds as well, yummers!