Peppers

Options
So I've recently decided I'd like to incorporate more peppers into my diet. I'm a fan of semi-spicy food and have seen numerous articles outlining the health benefits of peppers, but I grew up in a southern home with wonderful buttery, fatty food and a limited variety of fruits/veggies, and I'm not sure which types to try.

So! What kinds of peppers do you all eat? Which ones are mildest, best for "beginners"? And what are all the wonderfully creative ways you incorporate them into your diets?

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Bell peppers sautéed in virgin coconut oil...
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Ghost Chilis
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    chilli chocolate brownies ... not particularly healthy though :-)

fresh tuna marinaded with one cut up chilli of your choice, some chopped coriander and juice of one lime for 20 min and then seared on a griddle for 2-3 min each side
  • hilarymcm
    hilarymcm Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    http://scovillescaleforpeppers.com/the-scoville-scale/

The ones with lower numbers are milder, higher numbers are hotter. See which ones you can find in your market and have fun trying them!
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My favorite hands down is fire roasted bell peppers that were charred on the grill, and then charred skin removed, then sprinkled with a bit of extra virgin olive oil. OMG, heavenly. But certainly not a "beginner" type of recipe.

I guess as a beginners type of recipe, you should look into "stuffed bell pepper". If you google stuffed bell peppers, you will find all sorts of recipes.

If you want to experiment with heat, you can make a South American fresh salsa called "pevere" (pronounced peh-veh-reh). The mild version is one green bell pepper finely diced, one Serrano (or jalapeño) pepper finely diced, 3/4 cup finely diced sweet Spanish onion, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons vinegar, salt to taste. For the hot version, replace the bell pepper with equal amount of Serrano or jalapeño. Use this salsa on meat, chicken and fish.

If you want to learn abou the varieties of fresh peppers and the heat, google scoville units, and you will get a chart that ranks the pepper varieties from mild to hottest.

For something a bit more in the froufrou "food snob gourmet" category, see if you can find Piment d'Espelette. It comes from a northern region of France. A dried and pulverized mild-hot pepper, which has a distinctive taste. Be sure to buy Espelette that has the DOC seal, which is the Appellation d'Origine Controlle, a consortium in France that certifies it's origin and products claim. I use it on my eggs in the morning, with a small dab of white truffle oil, or i use it as a dusting over cauliflower, fresh fennel, fresh cucumber (basically the mild veggies). I also use it on roasted chicken or fish. It's very expensive in US and Canada, like $20 for an ounce or two. So whenever I'm in France, I make sure I grab a few jars (so much cheaper!)

Good luck and have fun.
  • kaylorraine44
    kaylorraine44 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    -Roasted red peppers in chicken sandwiches or on homemade pizza
    -Yellow pepper slices on homemade pizza
    -Cut up yellow pepper in pasta dishes
    -Roasted red peppers in soup (http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/tuscan-chicken-soup-50400000124387/)
  • jweindruch
    jweindruch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Shi****o pepper (獅子唐辛子, Shi****ōgarashi)

Edit: not sure why it things Shi****o peppers is a bad word. S.H.I.S.H.I.T.O.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I eat all the peppers. Bell peppers are not hot at all; Anaheim peppers are a bit spicier, as are the more well-known jalapeno peppers. Habaneros are heading into the realm of "too spicy for some," and are often a good guide for whether you wish to delve further along the Scoville unit scale.

What, specifically, makes you want to eat more of them other than the endorphin rush?
  • ladyace0007
    Options
    I've heard that they speed up your metabolism and are loaded with vitamins. And I'm trying to keep expanding my diet beyond what I, and my family, are used to eating.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Ghost Chilis

:laugh: :laugh:
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Shi****o pepper (獅子唐辛子, Shi****ōgarashi)

Edit: not sure why it things Shi****o peppers is a bad word. S.H.I.S.H.I.T.O.
    Ha! Best censor job I've seen on here.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I love red bell peppers. I buy a few of them each week, cut them into thin slices, and store them in the fridge so they are always available.

Each day I take a baggie of chopped veggies (including red bells, celery, snap peas, and other vegs) to work for snacking on during the day and I also like raw red bells in salads and like to put them in egg white omelets.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i like to use bell peppers, cut in half and gut them. and make a batch of quinoa. mix in spices like oregano and garlic, and add in black beans. mix in some medium to hot salsa, stuff the peppers and top with colby jack shredded cheese. bake in the oven 350 about 15 minutes, add some hot sauce if you like.

jalepeno peppers, cut in half or gut them. leave some seeds if you like the spicyness. use either ground turkey, ground beef, or meatless grounds and cook. sautee diced peppers and mushrooms with in. mix in some reduced fat cream cheese, stuff the jalepenos and top with shredded cheese. bake.

i also like to make fajitas with onion and different types of peppers and mushrooms, you can add steak or chicken. sautee them up, eat in a tortilla top with hot sauce or salsa and other toppings if you so feel compelled to.

i found a recipe for a vegetarian chili you can add peppers to chili if you like.
  • elmr34
    elmr34 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I mostly eat green bell peppers because they are least expensive and sweet instead of spicy. Orange, yellow, and red bells are essentially the same and just more expensive (they have to stay on the vine longer). Here is how I eat them:

-stuffed (with ground meat, rice, other vegetables, couscous)
    -stir fried (great in any type of stir fry with any meat!)
    -sweet and sour chinese style (homemade, restaurant isn't exactly healthy)
    -fajitas, quesadilla, taco, burrito, enchiladas, or nachos!!
    -omelettes
    -raw on a sub sandwich!
    -with a little melted cheese and meat on a hot Philly style sandwich
    -in your salad (raw)
    -raw dipped in hummus or dressing
    -on pizza

There are other sweet varieties of peppers like banana peppers (salads, sandwiches, pizzas, raw), poblanos (chili rellanos!! great treat). I eat jalapenos (seeds removed) in my spicy type food but I can't handle anything hotter. :)
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Peppers origanato

Take any pepper you like:

2 of my favorites are:

- bell peppers if you like them sweet
    - jalapeno if you like them hot

cut peppers lengthwise( bell peppers 4 slices - jalapeno are smaller so 2 slices is fine) and place on a cookie sheet thats been sprayed with pam …bake for 15minutes +- ( till bottom starts to get color) on 400 degree ..take them out of the over and sprinkle with seasoned bread crumbs , minced garlic, grated cheese ,oregano,blk pepper and add drops of olive oil over the top . bake another 15 minutes