Planet Fitness

Options
I'm thinking about joining Planet Fitness but I am not really sure....
I always feel self-conscious in gyms and I also have a hip, lower back injury and must go slow.
Anybody who is a member who has tried this gym- How is it? Do you feel comfortable there? For the most part, are there always enough machines?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    How many machines is " enough "?
  • fallenoaks50
    Options
    It's 10 per month. Just try it out. If it doesn't work out, you haven't lost much.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    In my colleges' rec center gym 8 power racks and 3 squat racks weren't "enough"...
  • yellaroze101
    Options
    I joined $10 a month and I love it. There was plenty of machines even though gym was kind of crowded. A lot of folks working to achieve the same goals and the staff was very nice. I am also a shy person, and hate to workout in public. But I simply toned out everything put my headphones in the tv that is attached to the treadmill and sweated to death :) If you don't have a gym at home, I recommend to join.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    In my colleges' rec center gym 8 power racks and 3 squat racks weren't "enough"...

That's a lot of curls
  • brianmcg321
    Options
    This would be the place for you. They are very anti meathead. They have a lunk alarm if someone starts throwing weights around.

The commercials are hilarious:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQfmpXsLV_4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdccUsn8N4Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn5mzEAMAkY
  • Bonella
    Bonella Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've been a member since ours opened last April and I love it. This is the only gym I've ever felt comfortable in. Yu can go at your own pace and they are open 24 hours.
  • Bibianna2012
    Bibianna2012 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I belong to one. I admit I hate their add campaign and think its insulting to really fit people and heavy weight lifters.. but I love this gym. Its clean, and there is always someone wiping down the machines. There are tons of machines and the staff and people are really nice. Try it out free for a week and see what you think. I dont think you can find better deal for 10 bucks a month. A heavy lifter told me that their heaviest free weights werent as heavy as he would prefer but this guy was really big. He said he still got a decent work out there.
  • sallenstein
    sallenstein Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness & I love it. I am still quite heavy & have back & joint problems so I go very slowly & I am not uncomfortable at all. I usually go alone also. I have the black card membership & enjoy the hydro-massage bed at the end of every visit. It's great for the back!
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I just joined Planet fitness and it took some courage for me to finally sign up and join. I am so glad I did. I have always done home workouts or outside which I will still do but right now I have really enjoyed the gym. I was shy and scared to death about working out in front of people but I tell you no one really pays you any attention they are doing there own thing. Every one is going for the same goal some people go slow and some fast so you don't feel out of place at all. Right now it is crowed where I go because they just opened and of course its the first of the year and people have made goals for themselves so your gym may be a little crowded but people will drop off. I would suggest you at least try. I am so glad I did and for $10 dollars a month you cannot lose.
  • BlackRose101
    BlackRose101 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I go there during the summer.
    They have many cardio machines, so it's great for that, but if you want to lift some weights (legs, arms etc etc) they don't have many and the ones they do have, have very restricted movements (not natural movements) I hurt myself using some of their weight machines.
    IMO, I would go there to start off and get some cardio in, but stick to the free weights if your gym has any :)

Just my opinion!!
  • ohmyjiggle
    ohmyjiggle Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Just Join it! Its cheap! I joined last week, and my first time was going last night. It took me a week to get up the courage to go in there, because I don't like exercising in front of people. (or exercising period) But, I did it and I only was in there for 30 minutes, but hey it was a start! I also went late at night so it wasn't busy. Less people, is better for me.. :)
  • ohmyjiggle
    ohmyjiggle Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just joined Planet fitness and it took some courage for me to finally sign up and join. I am so glad I did. I have always done home workouts or outside which I will still do but right now I have really enjoyed the gym. I was shy and scared to death about working out in front of people but I tell you no one really pays you any attention they are doing there own thing. Every one is going for the same goal some people go slow and some fast so you don't feel out of place at all. Right now it is crowed where I go because they just opened and of course its the first of the year and people have made goals for themselves so your gym may be a little crowded but people will drop off. I would suggest you at least try. I am so glad I did and for $10 dollars a month you cannot lose.

this!
  • jenniferpritchett16
    Options
    I belong to Planet Fitness, and like it a lot. I was the type to be very intimidated by gyms before I started really working towards being more fit. Now, I just don't care. :) I work at the pace I'm comfortable at, although I DO push myself harder in a public gym, which I consider a bonus. I've seen people in all states of fitness in Planet Fitness, and never noticed any judgements.

My best advice is join, just do it. It's super cheap, and then go and do your thing. The staff will take you on a tour, and will show you how to use anything you need to ask about. Leave your worries at the door, pop in headphones, blast your favorite motivational music, and forget everyone else exists. (Personally, I have to admit that although I am 41, Britney's 'Work *****' is super fun to workout to!)
  • Binnee95
    Binnee95 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    By machines I meant treadmills, bikes etc. I had joined a ladies gym a long, long time ago and there was always fighting for those machines. People were supposed to sign in but some didn't, then there would be little fights. I also hated when someone who was next or just waiting would stand behind me to wait. I am a very shy person and felt awkward there so I just stopped going after about a week or two.
    Thank you everybody! I will definitely give it a try.