Need help!

Options
I need some help and guidance, PLEASE! I'm 5'3" and 160 pounds and can not get rid of this stubborn baby fat no matter what I do. I've been working out 3-4 times a week doing mostly cardio. However, I'm confused on how much I should be eating to obtain my goal weight (145 pounds). MFP says my calorie goal is 1290 (i'm set for sedentary since I sit at a computer for 10 hours a day), does that mean I only eat the 1290 calories or do I take into account the calories burned at the gym? I wear a Polar FT4 and I burn usually 500-600 calories a day. I'm so confused!

Replies

• janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    The 1290 goal is supposed to be net calories, so eat back what you burn at the gym. Make sure the calories you eat are nutritious. You'll see debates on here that say it doesn't matter what it is as long as it is at your limit. I think it does matter, in a lot of ways. I suggest not drinking calories in soda or juice. Make your calories count.

It takes more than 3-4 times a week for me to see any changes. I try to do cardio every day, but I miss a few days here and there. Still, my goal is to exercise pretty much an hour a day: 40 minutes of cardio and another 15- 20 on weights. That plus good food works, but it takes me a couple of weeks to see changes on the scale.

You might want to take measurements or pictures, too, because you'll see changes in your body besides what the scale says, and it can be depressing when you work hard and the scale doesn't move.

Good luck!
  • Blue_Snowflake
    Options
    You shouldn't eat any less than 1,200 per day, and you can eat up to 1,290 if you don't workout. When you do, yes you can eat those calories.
    3-4 workouts per week doesn't sound enough to me; I aim to workout for 30-60 mins per day.
    Losing fat does take time and you won't spot reduce. Also since our tummies are a main fat storage place, we tend not to see results there as quickly as other body parts. Just stick with it and it'll pay off :)
  • pixe_lynn
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I try to work out the 3-4 times a week for at least the 60 minutes. I thought it was the 1290 NET calories I needed, I just get confused with people telling me about BMR, but MFP takes that into account right? I did Zumba and Spin class on Wednesday and burned like 1100 calories and I don't think I ate my 1290 in net calories. I know I'm losing inches because my work clothes aren't as tight on my muffin top. I just want to make sure I do this the healthy way. I've changed my diet to try and eat as clean as possible.
  • MissMary02
    MissMary02 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'll let you know what's worked for me. I don't usually eat my calories back, unless I'm still hungry and then I settle for half, and it usually does the trick. I make sure my food choices are wholesome. Protein, veggies, etc and I dont drink my calories. You can count calories all you want but if your food choices aren't healthy, there's not going to be much difference. Also, I saw someone post about no carbs for dinner. I follow that rule. I see it as I dont need energy to sleep. Lol I noticed you said you only do cardio. Switch it up. Incorporate crossfit and weights. Your body gets used to the same thing, so it stops changing. Personally, I do no cardio, minus a warm-up and I only lift. But I lift really heavy. I take no supplements, thermogenics, fat burners, etc. Just watch what I eat, stick to my calories, lift heavy weights and the fat literally melts off. Everyone is different, so you have to experiment and find what works best for you but in my experience, heavy lifting is where its at. If you want a good program read up on Stronglifts 5x5. Its been amazing for everyone I've ever known who has tried it.