whey or not to whey protein

Options
http://www.muscleweek.com/the-whey-protein-scam

I have been questioning this for a long time....my source of proteins is purely eggs, poultry, fish, milk and lentils....and I meet my daily limits,

Albeit the fact that I am no gym dwelling builder.

Why and when do you guys and girls use whey and why do you find it difficult to meet requirements from natural foods.

Best,

Vy

Replies

• sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Lactose intolerant, really, eggs aren't too bad, but protein powder is convenient.
  • unknownexile
    Options
    i only use whey/protein if i need to hit my macros its not necessary the only other supplements i use is arginine(can be found in beef) fish oil and a multivitamin honestly i dont believe there necessary for training but as ^sathor said convenience. ive seen way too many people use protein as a meal replacement its not.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I put a scoop or two in my pancake batter. It makes my pancakes "stay with me" all morning. That is basically all I use the whey powder for.

My son, who is a competitive swimmer, takes a scoop or two mixed with water to have after his weight lifting and before his swim workout on days he does two a days. For him, it is convenience, as well as just getting in more calories. Wish I had that problem!

As for not getting enough protein, I tend to have a hard time getting in a large amount of protein without going over my fat allowance. I eat lean meats for meals but get a bit tired of chicken and turkey, so I eat quite a few nuts and some cheese to add protein. Of course this sends the fat grams up in a hurry! Often it is a convenience thing--it is easy to grab a handful of nuts for a snack. Not as easy to fix a sandwich or piece of chicken when you are on the run. (Remember I have a teen swimmer--so I am always on the run until he is able to drive himself to his 9 practices a week!)
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Lactose intolerant, really, eggs aren't too bad, but protein powder is convenient.
    Whey is a dairy product. I have a daughter on an absolutely no lactose diet due to a metabolic disorder. Whey is a big no no for her.
  • Safiyandi
    Safiyandi Posts: 151
    Options
    This article is a bit strange. It doesn't really back anything up, just says today's bodybuilders look worse than they did a few decades ago by some standard it doesn't mention, and apparently this has something to do with whey?

Then goes on to claim that we'll save money by throwing out our whey. Brother, I'm fairly certain that my bulk discounted bag of isolate, gram for gram, is considerably cheaper than an equivalent amount of protein worth of chicken or eggs or whatever. Edit - Oh, and it says we'll save thousands of hours cleaning protein shakers, because I guess it takes a lot longer to rinse out a cup than it does grill a steak. o.O Weird lol.

To answer your question - I take it because I'm too lazy to cook meat/eggs more than once or twice a day and, after a workout when I don't want anything on my stomach, it's easier to force down than meat.
  • vijaynarayanan
    Options
    Completely agree there mate, its definitely convenient
  • gloriaeffe
    gloriaeffe Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I normally take it after a workout (strength training mainly, not so much after cardio).
    It's convenient and it gets digested quickly and easily - compared to eating meat after a session.
    It also helps me hit my macros without having to eat tons of meat/fish/legumes - while keeping the calories down too.
    Oh and I also love how it tastes so for me it's an actual treat!
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have no problem getting in protein from whole foods (I aim for 190g a day)

I use 20-30g of whey a day (usually only 20), but only to add flavor to my shake.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I would suggest... wheying your options...GET IT...weigh, whey... :drinker:

Seriously though. Tagging for information.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I used to use whey protein powder, usually for a quick smoothie before morning workouts. I would mix 1 scoop (or sometimes just 1/2 scoop) of Whole Foods 365's chocolate whey protein powder with stevia,1 frozen banana, 1 tbsp creamy peanut butter + almond milk (sometimes non-dairy yogurt too). However, I'm casein-intolerant and I've decided to give up all dairy to be on the safer side. I thought about trying a new protein powder, but decided I'd rather get my protein from whole foods. If you can get your protein from food and can afford to, I think it's a better option. If not, whey protein is fine.
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If I were getting my protein from whole foods, I wouldn't mess with whey, but if left to eat my preferences, I'd eat a fairly low protein diet. When I restrict calories, I usually need to supplement a little. I make bars and muffins with protein powder to give me a kick of protein in a form I find palatable.