Eating right, Exercising, GAINING WEIGHT?!

Options
I don't get how this is happening and I'm really discouraged.

Replies

• emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    1 - You are eating more than you think you are
    2 - You are expending fewer exercise calories than you think you are
    3 - You have your activity level set higher than it should be and are therefore eating more than you should to lose weight.

It is most likely some combination of the above three items.

1 - get a digital food scale so you can weigh every bite you eat.
    2- either get a heart rate monitor to make sure your calorie burn is correct, or only eat back half the MFP exercise credit.
    3 - set your activity level to sedentary, and only log extraordinary daily activities (not doing the dishes) and then true workout time.

Good Luck! You'll get the hang of it!
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    How often are you weighing yourself and over what time period do you consider yourself to have gained weight? It's completely natural for your weight to fluctuate day to day and even with your monthly cycle. Short term gains in weight are nothing to be concerned about if you really are doing "everything right." You have to have faith in the process and give it time to work.

To make your weekly weigh-ins more consistent, try to normalize the amount of sodium and water in your diet day to day or at least 1-2 days leading up to your weigh in. This will help to minimize the effect of water-based weight fluctuations.

I also agree with emirror - if you're already weighing in only once a week and you've seen a gain in the past 2-3 weeks, any of those could be a culprit!
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    We can also give better advice if you open your food diary up so we can see what's going on. :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    How much have you gained and over what period of time? Another possibility is that you're seeing a temporary increase in water weight either from a new exercise routine or stress, hormones, sodium, TOM, etc.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    And are you weighing yourself at the same time of day each time? If you weigh yourself in the morning and then at night, you will definitely see a temporary gain of food/liquid intake and waste.
  • emilynbanks
    Options
    Hadn't thought about weighing myself at different times, I'll check that the next few times!