An Apple?

Options
I did not realize apple has that much carbs! I took it out of my break fast and left it for my snack. Was I the only one who felt like an apple to my meal wouldn't hurt?

Replies

• SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Well most fruit has so much sugar it can't help but to have a lot of carbs. Apples are so good for you though, so definitely do keep them around for snack time.

I'm not really watching carbs too much, just focus on getting enough of all three, so I don't always worry if one meal is heavy on the carb side compared to another.
  • cmw9696
    cmw9696 Posts: 123
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/295974-calories-in-1-apple/

apples are great for you! The average amount of 116 - 75 bothers you? They tend to fill me up for longer because of the fiber too. The natural sweet curbs my sweet tooth too.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Healthy carbs are very good for our body and much needed to keep it running smoothly ...it's fuel for our bodies!:drinker:
  • nicolegentles
    Options
    Thank You Southerbell86,
    I also like them for my sweet tooth
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I'm an apple eating fool! They are my fave sweet snack.

Charmagne
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat breaking your carb goals for fruit. They are a natural healthy carb / sugar source.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    I say enjoy them apples!!

I eat a lot of produce in general and it's been interesting to see how the numbers stack up for carbs and sugar in the food diary!

If someone is diabetic, for sure they have different priorities and needs, however I tend to not worry about the carbs so much if they are from produce, as opposed to white bread, doughnuts, etc. I noticed that I go over in sugar in a day if I've had an apple, a small banana and tangelo. I could be wrong, but I don't think this is really THAT bad, however it will be something I have to look at if the I can't reach my goals...

For me it is always a trade-off between getting the recommended servings of fruits and vegetables vs. staying w/ the recommended amounts. I always eat the skin of the apple, so I figure that besides vitamins, minerals, I'm getting some fiber and water. I don't follow a special 'eating plan' that has rules about when you are allowed to eat fruit and w/ what kinds of food.

That said, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, so I'm still learning to see if going over in carbs from the fruit, but staying under the allotted calories will still get me to my goal weight.

:happy: