What to eat when you hate bananas?

Options
I can't stand the texture or taste unless they're in a shake and I don't always have time or other resources to make one. And even then, my stomach cramps up so bad, I can't move for an hour.

Any suggestions on how else to get yummy banana-like nutrition into my body without yucky banana consumption?

Replies

• jdg1208
    jdg1208 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Coconut water is insanely high in potassium. :)
  • ShoshanahM
    ShoshanahM Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php

I know what you're talking about with bananas. My reaction only lasts a few minutes though. It helps for me to eat them on the riper side and not on a completely empty stomach. There are a ton of other foods w/ potassium, though.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for potassium, sweet potatoes actually have more of it per serving than bananas, and they can be used for pretty much anything that potatoes can be.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I guess my first question is why are you set on eating bananas? 'Banana nutrition' is kinda vague...

As a potassium source? Other ways to get that.

As a carb source? A zillion ways to get that.

A quick, 'on the run' food source? Lots of those too.

I only eat bananas in shakes and smoothies.

My fave fruits are: pears, melon, blueberries, strawberries.

Good luck!
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana every weekday. I don't eat them on the weekends because I can hardly stand to see, smell, or taste them anymore by Thursday or Friday... I basically suck it up and eat bananas in my way of moderation because they're SO cheap and SO good for me.

I'm curious to hear replacement/supplement suggestions.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Spinach is one of, if not the, highest source of potassium per gram.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. I like bananas, but I rarely eat them because of the high calories and lack of protein, and it's never been a problem. Nothing says you have to eat bananas.
  • EplusThree
    EplusThree Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    We live in an insanely rural area so variety is very scarce on a budget when you already have to drive an hour to get to a fresh market or grocery store (over an unnecessarily twisted mountain). The very small store we have here doesn't provide a lot, but bananas are always available, portable, cheap, etc.
    I completely forgot about sweet potatoes, which we use about 90% instead of whites!!
    I guess I'm kinda jealous that other ppl I see at the gym eat bananas as a source of recovery and I'm just like, ew, I'll have this $2 Powerbar, simply because it's portable. I have been eating some apples with a wee bit of peanut butter because, unlike some, I don't think peanut butter is the devil, haha!
    Thanks for the ideas, I'm glad I asked, I really did forget about sweet potatoes (and spinach, which, unfortunately, ends up being a delicacy unless I buy it in a frozen block)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    If you don't like bananas, don't eat them. Problem solved. And more yummy bananas for the rest of us!
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I don't like bananas either. I eat something else pre/post-workout instead.
  • Bonnieg318
    Bonnieg318 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Oh my word I really thought I was crazy this happens to me to when I eat bananas. I honestly haven't eaten a banana for like 15 years! I struggle to find replacements so thank you for this post!!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you don't have to eat bananas if you don't like them. If they make you feel ill you really shoudn't eat them, you could be allergic to them or something.

There's no nutrient in bananas that you can't get in other foods. Potassium, fibre, vitamin C and other vitamins are in most fresh fruit and veg. Vitamin B6 is in meat, whole grains, nuts and many vegetables. Carbs are in any starchy or sweet tasting fruit or veg. What else is there in a banana that you want to eat it for?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    We live in an insanely rural area so variety is very scarce on a budget when you already have to drive an hour to get to a fresh market or grocery store (over an unnecessarily twisted mountain). The very small store we have here doesn't provide a lot, but bananas are always available, portable, cheap, etc.
    I completely forgot about sweet potatoes, which we use about 90% instead of whites!!
    I guess I'm kinda jealous that other ppl I see at the gym eat bananas as a source of recovery and I'm just like, ew, I'll have this $2 Powerbar, simply because it's portable. I have been eating some apples with a wee bit of peanut butter because, unlike some, I don't think peanut butter is the devil, haha!
    Thanks for the ideas, I'm glad I asked, I really did forget about sweet potatoes (and spinach, which, unfortunately, ends up being a delicacy unless I buy it in a frozen block)

I just have a protein shake (milk, protein powder) after a workout. When I went to the gym I would actually make it at home with soy milk and protein powder and take it with me. It didn't get warm in the locker (not sure how) and it was ready to go immediately after I was done.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    you don't have to eat bananas if you don't like them. If they make you feel ill you really shoudn't eat them, you could be allergic to them or something.

There's no nutrient in bananas that you can't get in other foods. Potassium, fibre, vitamin C and other vitamins are in most fresh fruit and veg. Vitamin B6 is in meat, whole grains, nuts and many vegetables. Carbs are in any starchy or sweet tasting fruit or veg. What else is there in a banana that you want to eat it for?

Carbs are in all fruits and vegetables.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Carbs are in all fruits and vegetables.

yeah, you're right I should have been more precise with my language.... carbs that your body will digest and utilise as carbs (starch and sugar) are in the kinds of veg and fruit I said above. Fibre (cellulose) is a carb, but the body doesn't utilise it in the same way, so if someone needs to increase the amount of carbs in their diet, e.g. for bulking or to fuel workouts, fruit and veg that contains mainly fibre without much starch or sugar is going to hinder them, not help them. The OP didn't say why he/she wanted to eat more bananas, so I suggested a number of alternatives based on possible reasons for eating bananas. Bananas will fuel workouts, celery won't.
  • EplusThree
    Options
    I don't like bananas either. I eat something else pre/post-workout instead.

Such as..? Just combing for suggestions, thanks in advance :)
  • EplusThree
    Options
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php

I know what you're talking about with bananas. My reaction only lasts a few minutes though. It helps for me to eat them on the riper side and not on a completely empty stomach. There are a ton of other foods w/ potassium, though.

Thank you for your helpful link!