Calves and feet are killing me while running.

Options
Sorry if this is long, but I need to provide some details are necessary for this situation.

Howdy. I'm kinda new to running, seriously starting a few weeks ago. Getting to the problem, it started just today when I went out to jog. I typically run 30-45 minutes in chunks of 10-20 minutes depending on how long I plan to jog.

However, when I went out to jog today, I immediately felt a very blunt pain in my inner calves, feet, and ankles that made it very hard for me to run. To reduce the pain, I had to run very awkwardly which reduced my breath and energy. I run on concrete, and my form isn't the best, but I've never had pains like this before, and certainly not in my calves, which had never hurt like that before.

All in all, looking at my watch, I ran today for about a grand total of three minutes. I mean, I could've kept going, but I have a concern that I may injure myself. So, even now as I type this nearly 10 minutes later and taking pain pills, my calves are still very achy.

I suspect the problem could be my shoes, but as old as they are, they are fine (New Balance, btw). So, what do you think the problem is, and how could I fix it? Do I need to see a doctor? Do I need to adjust my form (As people definitely have laughed at my running posture, but it always worked for me)? Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the cushioning and support in running shoes have a limited life span and most places recommend every 300-400 miles. that includes any non running activity you use then for as well.

it's also possible that you arent wearing the proper shoes for your gait. have you had your gait analyzed?
    could also be a hydration issue.

if you are new or taken a long time off running, it's also possible that your lower legs arent used to propelling yourself forward and they need time to strengthen.

but really with he feet and ankle pain, i'm going to go with shoes.

maybe get better shoes that are appropriate for you and ease into running a bit more gently than immediately setting out to do 30 minutes of straight running
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Sudden pain where there was none before is often an indication that shoes have reached their limit. However, you have also jumped back into running, so it could be a lot of things.

If your shoes are just something you picked out that felt good, I would advise to go get fitted at a running store. They can analyze your gait and give you pointers.

Some people have weird gaits. What matters is your overall mechanics. Your foot should hit the ground right below or just in front of your center of mass. If your foot hits under your knee, you are overstriding. Your shoulders should be relaxed, and your arms should go forward and not cross in front of your body (crossing twists your torso and can cause side stitches, make it harder to breathe, and tweak your back).
  • kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I started getting calf pain when running not too long ago. I figured it was my shoes (not seriously old but not new, but they weren't fitted) went and got properly fitted for new ones and the pain disappeared and hasn't recurred.
  • Bittergamer1886
    Options
    the cushioning and support in running shoes have a limited life span and most places recommend every 300-400 miles. that includes any non running activity you use then for as well.

it's also possible that you arent wearing the proper shoes for your gait. have you had your gait analyzed?
    could also be a hydration issue.

if you are new or taken a long time off running, it's also possible that your lower legs arent used to propelling yourself forward and they need time to strengthen.

but really with he feet and ankle pain, i'm going to go with shoes.

maybe get better shoes that are appropriate for you and ease into running a bit more gently than immediately setting out to do 30 minutes of straight running

Yeah, I've had my shoes for over a year now. Quite a while, I suppose. I never had my gait analyzed; I should. In fact, I may get an opportunity to tomorrow. I doubt it's hydration. I drink in excess of around six bottles of water daily. Actually, I do 30 minutes in little ten-minute intervals. I take at least another 5 minutes walking, and that's just how I was comfortable doing it. Thanks for your advice! C:
  • heroeslegend
    heroeslegend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this is long, but I need to provide some details are necessary for this situation.

Howdy. I'm kinda new to running, seriously starting a few weeks ago. Getting to the problem, it started just today when I went out to jog. I typically run 30-45 minutes in chunks of 10-20 minutes depending on how long I plan to jog.

However, when I went out to jog today, I immediately felt a very blunt pain in my inner calves, feet, and ankles that made it very hard for me to run. To reduce the pain, I had to run very awkwardly which reduced my breath and energy. I run on concrete, and my form isn't the best, but I've never had pains like this before, and certainly not in my calves, which had never hurt like that before.

All in all, looking at my watch, I ran today for about a grand total of three minutes. I mean, I could've kept going, but I have a concern that I may injure myself. So, even now as I type this nearly 10 minutes later and taking pain pills, my calves are still very achy.

I suspect the problem could be my shoes, but as old as they are, they are fine (New Balance, btw). So, what do you think the problem is, and how could I fix it? Do I need to see a doctor? Do I need to adjust my form (As people definitely have laughed at my running posture, but it always worked for me)? Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Sounds like compartment syndrome. Maybe try some compression socks (knee high), and see if that helps?
  • Bittergamer1886
    Options
    Sudden pain where there was none before is often an indication that shoes have reached their limit. However, you have also jumped back into running, so it could be a lot of things.

If your shoes are just something you picked out that felt good, I would advise to go get fitted at a running store. They can analyze your gait and give you pointers.

Some people have weird gaits. What matters is your overall mechanics. Your foot should hit the ground right below or just in front of your center of mass. If your foot hits under your knee, you are overstriding. Your shoulders should be relaxed, and your arms should go forward and not cross in front of your body (crossing twists your torso and can cause side stitches, make it harder to breathe, and tweak your back).

I never jumped back in. I did walk a ton, but started seriously running recently. My legs are quite disproportionate to the rest of my body. My legs are 41 inches of my 71 inch height. So, naturally, my foot lands quite far ahead when flat-out sprinting, and is still the case with jogging. I mean, it makes feel a little bit better that it's not my fault for my gait. :D Thanks for the tips!